Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    OK you lot. Time to put your money up for the annual forum Donation drive.
    I have my $28.18 AUD ($20 USD) in. so come on.....we all get something from this forum existing. Time to support it.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    OK you lot. Time to put your money up for the annual forum Donation drive.
    I have my $28.18 AUD ($20 USD) in. so come on.....we all get something from this forum existing. Time to support it.

I have donated. The site needs all members to contribute and support.

Boolit Master
    Me too.

I managed to remove lube from old 45-70 bullets,these shoot fine and clean @ 1700 fps. Very impressive!

Attachment 224999

Boolit Buddy
    I just donated too. It’s a great forum and one of the few that I support.

Boolit Master
    I have heard on the grapevine that there are a few "Delicate" humans that have an aversion to jovial use of the Queen's English.
    One would assume that we, as firearms owners, would have a rather armoured demeanour when it comes to talking excrement.
    Perhaps the Snowflake virus has affected a few individuals?????

Just saying.....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I have heard on the grapevine that there are a few "Delicate" humans that have an aversion to jovial use of the Queen's English.
    One would assume that we, as firearms owners, would have a rather armoured demeanour when it comes to talking excrement.

Just saying.....
    Oh no, did someone get "offend"? LoL Do we need to make a "Safe Space" or set up a "Crying closet"?
    Be careful what you wish for!

I think Mr. Snyder’s idea is to keep this a “family friendly” site. And the mouth monitors are simply reflecting that attitude.

In other words if you don’t have an educated grasp of the language to say it without using a word you would object to your kid or wife calling you, don’t use the word.

I once told a local cop the same thing. That if he was too ignorant to converse with me without cussing me he needed to go back to school. Needless to say he still wrote the ticket. But I didn’t hear another cuss word out of his mouth.

Best regards to all of you whose mind and mouth runs a little loose
    Last edited by Avenger442; 08-04-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Just saying.....
    I think that is as close to an apology that anyone will get from you mate. Benellinut you crack me up. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Nope. wasn't me.
    I have been chewed out before... no biggie and it will not be the last time.
    Another member posted a meme with the word "naughty posterior" in it and got chewed out for it.
    The word is actually used in a Kid Rock song..I am a big fan of his music..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Can too much tin be a problem for Hi-Tek coating?

My Ww-alloy has lots of tin because of pre-mixed monotype. HCL wash makes it great for coating. Without wash it doesn't coat well at all.

Attachment 225046

I gave some coating material to a friend and his alloy looks like this:

Attachment 225047.

I guess it will be "try and see what happens".

We have no commercial alloys available here. It's illegal for an individual to buy lead if one intends to make something out of it. So we are stuck with what we already have.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Can too much tin be a problem for Hi-Tek coating?

My Ww-alloy has lots of tin because of pre-mixed monotype. HCL wash makes it great for coating. Without wash it doesn't coat well at all.

Attachment 225046

I gave some coating material to a friend and his alloy looks like this:

Attachment 225047.

I guess it will be "try and see what happens".

We have no commercial alloys available here. It's illegal for an individual to buy lead if one intends to make something out of it. So we are stuck with what we already have.

PETANDER,
    Hydrochloric acid can dissolve with slower rates Tin, Copper, and faster rates with Zinc, Magnesium, Aluminium, Cadmium.
    What you need to consider is, that metals, that are reactive to acid, are located and inter-mixed with the Lead at surface of cast alloy.
    The acid attacks the reactive metals mostly on surface, (and working into alloy), and, leaving a porous surface. It would be great to have examined by magnification, before and after acid cleaning of surfaces.

How do you know if the alloy has large amounts of Tin? If that is the case, it is very valuable indeed. Tin is very expensive alloying metal, and is added in small amounts to help fill out Mould cavity evenly.

With acid etching, it simply improves surface area for coating to bond. It is like millions of little anchor points where coating can grip.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    PETANDER,

How do you know if the alloy has large amounts of Tin? If that is the case, it is very valuable indeed.
    I cleaned my WW and made ingots with 30% and 50% "linotype" which actually was monotype,which I still have. So the tin ratio is higher than I thought. My boolits and ingots look like stainless steel and stay like that for decades. The alloy is very "malleable", if that word makes sense. Even the harder 50/50 boolits are not brittle.

I also asked here in another thread and everyone said "lotsa tin my friend,lotsa tin".

Whatever it is, HCL quickly makes them excellent for coating,I'm very happy. But I'm always ready to learn more.

Attachment 225048.

Boolit Master

I cleaned my WW and made ingots with 30% and 50% "linotype" which actually was monotype,which I still have. So the tin ratio is higher than I thought. My boolits and ingots look like stainless steel and stay like that for decades. The alloy is very "malleable", if that word makes sense. Even the harder 50/50 boolits are not brittle.

I also asked here in another thread and everyone said "lotsa tin my friend,lotsa tin".

Whatever it is, HCL quickly makes them excellent for coating,I'm very happy. But I'm always ready to learn more.

Attachment 225048.

PETANDER
    They look great casts. As you say, almost like Stainless steel.
    The frosty finish, I have to assume is the one that is acid washed.
    Lotsa Tin is OK if you can get it cheap. But now, it is like Gold with prices.
    What is great, that you virtually single handed, shown how unusable alloy mix can be used for coating with Hi-Tek and shot successfully.
    Once coating has bonded well, it should work OK.
    What would also help greatly, is if you can do a hardness test on these shiny alloys.
    I suspect that they may be quite soft, (I could be wrong).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    PETANDER
    They look great casts. As you say, almost like Stainless steel.

What would also help greatly, is if you can do a hardness test on these shiny alloys.
    I suspect that they may be quite soft, (I could be wrong)
    Yes the one in the middle is washed. I have had a Saeco tester for 20 years, yes they are around 14 BHN. My 50/50 mix is about 20 BHN. I shoot 14 BHN with the 45-70. Many people say it's all too soft but it works for me with this alloy. 20 BHN is for 30 cal.

Attachment 225051

Boolit Master

Yes the one in the middle is washed. I have had a Saeco tester for 20 years, yes they are around 14 BHN. My 50/50 mix is about 20 BHN. I shoot 14 BHN with the 45-70. Many people say it's all too soft but it works for me with this alloy. 20 BHN is for 30 cal.

Attachment 225051
    Thanks for quick reply.
    14 BHN is quite OK.
    Whatever you alloy composition , as they say "if it works, leave it alone".
    Glad that things worked out OK after the initial hassles.

Yes the one in the middle is washed. I have had a Saeco tester for 20 years, yes they are around 14 BHN. My 50/50 mix is about 20 BHN. I shoot 14 BHN with the 45-70. Many people say it's all too soft but it works for me with this alloy. 20 BHN is for 30
    13-14 BHN works best in my .308 at about 2600 fps. If I get into the 17 BHN area I have to adjust things. It is also what I shoot in the 45-70. I aim for that hardness when alloying my wheel weights with tin. Haven't had any problems with bonding the coating. But my alloy is not what I would call high tin.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Here is a previosly lubed and sized bullet, smashed after one Hi-Tek coat.I think I got rid of the lube just fine, the coating is bonding good.

Attachment 225105

These are old bullets, I was young and even more stupid than I am now and I sized these .457 with a brand new Lee sizer. Then I just put these undersized boolits away,until now that I found them.

I will try to "fatten" these up a bit for the Marlin I have now. How? I will give these several coats of Gold 1035 !

Here is a previosly lubed and sized bullet, smashed after one Hi-Tek coat.I think I got rid of the lube just fine, the coating is bonding good.

Attachment 225105

These are old bullets, I was young and even more stupid than I am now and I sized these .457 with a brand new Lee sizer. Then I just put these undersized boolits away,until now that I found them.

I will try to "fatten" these up a bit for the Marlin I have now. How? I will give these several coats of Gold 1035 !
    "I was young and even more stupid than I am now"

Ha!! You cracked me up and made my day, same here!! What was the process you used to get the lube off, I have a bunch of .45 ACP wad cutters from a huge batch I bought from a local caster many, many years ago when I was shooting Bullseye matches, before I started casting my own. I have a ton of them that some of the hard lube fell out of the groove, I set them aside and they have been under the bench all these years, would love to be able to coat them rather then put them into the pot.

Thanks for making my day LoL.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    Ha!! You cracked me up and made my day, same here!! What was the process you used to get the lube off, I have a bunch of .45 ACP wad cutters from a huge batch I bought from a local caster many, many years ago.
    My relatively soft homemade lube dissolves in gasoline. A couple of quick soaks, I then gave the boolits my usual HCL wash. Then a quick acetone rinse,just to make sure. Acetone wasn't needed though,I compared with and without it.

Attachment 225138.

I cleaned and coated about 300 old boolits now,they also grew from the stupid .357 to .359 with four thin coatings. I really like a diluted (I add denatured alcohol) Hi-Tek mix, easy to swirl without hurry. And it coats my alloy very well.

This color is Gold 1035 with a hint of green from the swirling container. Overbaked a tad,not too hot,just a bit longer.