Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 51 of 742 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101151551 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 14838

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Grand Master

popper, I lost about 50 to 75 fps in my 41 mag going from wax based lube to HT.
    On the light powder that comes out of the bore of the rifles Hi-Tek said this is the coating that has burned due to friction, but does not come off the boolit until it exits the bore.
    I have found that a much harder boolit is needed when the velocity gets over 2,500 fps in the 223 Rem and about 2,300 fps in the 30-06.
    I'm going to do some more experimenting with the H-T coating, my wax type lube mixture, and LBT Blue Soft. Also going to use 2 coats of HT just a little thicker to try and keep some of my BHN in the boolits.

I noticed my old toaster oven was having a hard time getting to 375 degrees yesterday so went shopping today at Goodwill and the Thrift stores. Found a convection oven at a thrift store near my house for $4.00. It has 2 grates and is digital! Will try it out after I get some more hardware cloth to cover the grates with.

Boolit Master
    HI-TEK now has 4 different catalysts. The super slippery 3 Extreme is the new one.
    I am going to mix red/copper with each of the catalysts and coat 100 bullets with each and then load with identical components and fire over the chrono to see if the different catalysts have any influence on velocity. I know that the extreme catalysts make sizing far easier than the normal catalyst.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    ...Coatings should not be used on pre-sized projectiles.
    If projectiles are pre-sized, the sizing process seals the surface of alloy and coating adhesion/bonding is greatly affected.
    Tests done previously on dry, clean pre-sized projectiles , showed that the coating will not adhere to alloy even if clean.
    It seems, that during sizing, the alloy surface becomes sealed and the coating has nowhere to penetrate and stick.
    If during sizing, if any lubes are used, like waxes and other, it would also cause coating to not stick to alloy.
    Rinsing with solvents, may clean metal from lubricants used during sizing, but also, not completely.
    Unless projectiles are vapour de-greased, I have doubts that in many instances, all lube components can be removed, unless solvent washes are done many times.
    Read that immediately after sizing a bunch of Red Copper boolits. Which were thinly coated twice beforehand. Seems they needed a third coat, as I got a small amount of leading near the muzzle of the 10 5/8" barreled S&W 29.

Had thought that two coats would have been enough, except the solids weren't fully applied even though the carrier was everywhere. So pondering whether the solids are the prime protective agent rather than the base.

May go back to the green, even though I've much more red copper on hand. It generally seems easier to work with than the metallic. Got the red copper mostly to get more build-up for smallish boolits, but I haven't seen much difference between the two.

Boolit Master
    Apply the 3rd coat over the sized 2 coats. I do.
    The red copper is no harder to use than the green. Just shake immediately before applying.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

i have CNC contact. If ya do, you can buy used molds and bore out. I started with NOE blank, but next time i may try this idea. Say 9mm to 40 s&w. Maybe small 380 up to 9mm. SPRU plate would remain same.
    Yes sir I do my uncle runs a shop were they make all kinds of custom parts so I'm sure he could make me a mold from scratch but I'm just gonna have the lubes groves removed from my lee 6 cavity TL mold. Bought it for the coating as I'm not a fan of the lee alox sticky tumble lubing so removing the lube grooves doesn't have a down side that I can see.

Hoping to test the passing bullets through the CZ today and see if they have the same results as the glock 17.

Boolit Buddy
    Hello guys. My First post. I just received the Green HI-TEK kit from Bayou Bullets. Has anyone tried using lacquer thinner rather than Acetone? I ask because as many might know it works well (and formulated) to reduce resins. I may try it. Just wondering if anyone has yet.
    Thx

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgundrums View Post
    Hello guys. My First post. I just received the Green HI-TEK kit from Bayou Bullets. Has anyone tried using lacquer thinner rather than Acetone? I ask because as many might know it works well (and formulated) to reduce resins. I may try it. Just wondering if anyone has yet.
    Thx
    G'day and welcome to the mad house.

As they say... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    HI-TEK says Acetone. I use acetone.

Acetone is easier to get than Lacquer thinners.

Read page 19 post 366 (I think) and follow the steps
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Ausglock Have you tried using 2 different colors separately. That sounds redundant. Say 2 coats of an solid color, that may not be as good at wair resistance with the third color with a higher metallic content to be used as a rifle bullet?

Boolit Master
    I have coated with red/copper first coat and green for the second coat on a 45 RN TL bullet. it looked a bit like Camo coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

many wany believe this: My springfield xds45acp is made in croatia (really a HS-2000), but springfield sells in america.

I have shot alox lead thru it since day 1. It is incredible for i have small hands. Now for over couple months my pistols get Hi-Tek-Supercoat. I have not been cleaning xds much, so this morning i did the "Hickok45 way" from youtube. THE HI TEK HAS CLEANED THE BARREL FOR ME, I BRUSHED IT ONLY, NO OTHER STUFF/JUST BRUSH. LOOKS LIKE THE DAY I BOUGHT IT! SUPER CLEAN AND SHINY.

Banned

Lightbulb barrel cleaning

many want believe this till ya try it: My springfield xds45acp is made in croatia (really a HS-2000), but springfield sells in america.

I have shot alox lead thru it since day 1. It is incredible for i have small hands. Now for over couple months my pistols get Hi-Tek-Supercoat. I have not been cleaning xds much, so this morning i did the "Hickok45 way" from youtube. THE HI TEK HAS CLEANED THE BARREL FOR ME, I BRUSHED IT ONLY, NO OTHER STUFF/JUST BRUSH. LOOKS LIKE THE DAY I BOUGHT IT! SUPER CLEAN AND SHINY.

Hello everyone,
    Im finding this thread pretty interesting, I have wondered if anyone has tried to coat soft swaged lead bullets and shot for results ???

Shot 20 more bullets today but this time through the CZ and the results were guess the same as the glock so no leading and the recovered bullets looked just the same. Next batch I will try 5-1-5 and see if that fixes my problems, I was going over bayou boats instruction and they recommend 5-1-5 at 165-175 degrees Fahrenheit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Shot 20 more bullets today but this time through the CZ and the results were guess the same as the glock so no leading and the recovered bullets looked just the same. Next batch I will try 5-1-5 and see if that fixes my problems, I was going over bayou boats instruction and they recommend 5-1-5 at 165-175 degrees Fahrenheit.
    TC. 165 -175 Deg F might be a bit cool.....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Anyone fired these through a stainless barrel yet?? I have a new 92fs stainless, had 104 rounds through it from new, 6 by the factory and 100 by me.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Grem. No problems. I have a Ray Pulver Stainless barrel in the Glock35 357Sig and I run coated with no problems.
    SVI Racegun also stainless. again no issues at all.

92fs??? You know what the fs stands for??? F#*&%n Schit.
    my mate has one. he just could not get a handle on it. bought an STI Edge, he is now happy and shooting 1000% better.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

TC. 165 -175 Deg F might be a bit cool..
    ah **** you know what I meant 365-375 would be better.

Boolit Master

There's a little more respect here up north for the 92 FS. Been used by our military for decades. Second only to the 1911, as far as number of active years in service. I have four, and they routinely out shoot my glock shooting buddies. 😎
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    There's a little more respect here up north for the 92 FS. Been used by our military for decades. Second only to the 1911, as far as number of active years in service. I have four, and they routinely out shoot my glock shooting buddies. ��
    1911... Single stack heaven.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Mold
    hey gunoil can you post a close up pic of both bottles of the hi-tech coating?

Page 51 of 742 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101151551 ... LastLast