Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cityofthesouth View Post
    Are you guys running factory barrels? Kevin, are you also loading to 1.13+?
    My Glocks run factory bbls and, like Glockfan, I've had no problems. I load to 1.135, shorter or longer depending on boolit length, to maintain internal volume (I'm lazy, and leave my measure with the same powder and throw weight for most of my 9 mm loads - of course, fiddling with COAL isn't effortless, and I'm probably not saving much time, but that's me) and subject to feeding characteristics of the assembled round. YMMV, of course.
    Last edited by kevin c; 06-29-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    yes.why not?

all the myths surrounding the glock polygonal riflings not suited to boolits is pure ....ahemmmm....pure....myths.
    Yeah, I'm not making insinuations. I just bought a Tanfoglio with poly rifling in fact. What I'm interested in is bullets sticking in throats and what makes them work for some people and not for others with any given OAL and bullet design. I guess I could start a thread and take a survey.

Boolit Master
    IIRC, Glock factory magazines in the small frame guns limit COAL to 1.155 or less, though personally I've not run that long, and I don't know about the large frame guns. The "plunk" test tells me if I'm too long for the leade or if I'm into the lands. I don't think I've encountered any particular bullet profile that hasn't worked in my 9mm, 40 or 45 Glocks, but it's not like I've tried more than a half dozen all told.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    IIRC, Glock factory magazines in the small frame guns limit COAL to 1.155 or less, though personally I've not run that long, and I don't know about the large frame guns. The "plunk" test tells me if I'm too long for the leade or if I'm into the lands. I don't think I've encountered any particular bullet profile that hasn't worked in my 9mm, 40 or 45 Glocks, but it's not like I've tried more than a half dozen all told.
    true.

anything work in a glock.

i'm using FP's or TC's as much as possible both with my glocks , 9 and 40's , and 2 tactical sports i owns in 40's. never had feeding issues unless the coal was incorrect. i load both 17 and 34 same coal because both frames shares the same specs regarding barrel's throat and chamber ,and it's the fav coal of the shooting sport community for glocks 17 and 34 .

would however avoid anything semi wad-wad in my semis. not the bullet profile favorizing the short near vertical feed ramps we find on modern SA's. TC's and FP's are cutting nice large and round holes in cardbox..

my tac sports gets a short throat and tight chamber; however, i load both glock and tactical sport 40's the same COAL (1.135) . it is what is known to work in both guns in 40.....

i only have 2 nines which i use as practice guns for ipsc work out. both are glock.

on another note, i'd like to know if some of you guys uses or not resizing lube.

while i'm quite new to casting, i've recently resized thousands of boolits i've cast,which of course are coated with hi tek.

while my coating doesn't flake in the dies at all,it sure rubs quite hard inside ,and it is the cause of some blemishes by friction. i'm favorable to not using lube if possible, but i feel something water based or a light lube could greatly help,without causing any harmth to the hi tek coating.

should i lube or not?

oh.i'm presently resizing on a lee press with a lee resizing die.
    Last edited by glockfan; 06-29-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    The HITEK Aqualube will reduce the sizing effort by about 80%. You mix it 10mls to a litre of De-natured Alc. A light spritze on the bullets and you are good to go.

COTS.. Tanwogs with factory barrels have been firing coated bullets here in OZ for over 20 years. no issues.
    A lot of Open shooters use the Eric gold custom Tanwogs.
    I run factory barrels in the G17A, G34 and G35. no issues.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    The HITEK Aqualube will reduce the sizing effort by about 80%. You mix it 10mls to a litre of De-natured Alc. A light spritze on the bullets and you are good to go.

COTS.. Tanwogs with factory barrels have been firing coated bullets here in OZ for over 20 years. no issues.
    A lot of Open shooters use the Eric gold custom Tanwogs.
    I run factory barrels in the G17A, G34 and G35. no issues.
    i for sure like to get my hand on the aqualube, but i cant for sure find it on my side of the pond...is there anything else who might work ok at reducing the friction without damaging the coating ?

I want to get hold of some of the HITEK Aqualube but right now I am using up some Hornady case lube spray it works ok with the boolit sizing
    can't say the same with cases though
    I'm using both Lee and NOE push through sizers

Boolit Master

i for sure like to get my hand on the aqualube, but i cant for sure find it on my side of the pond...is there anything else who might work ok at reducing the friction without damaging the coating ?
    There are plenty of other lubes on the market, but how they compare is not known.
    Aqualube is available directly from US or manufacturer.
    There is no restriction with supplies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    I want to get hold of some of the HITEK Aqualube but right now I am using up some Hornady case lube spray it works ok with the boolit sizing

smlekid,
    Just contact local maker, I am sure that you can get supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    thanks for the cue sir.i have it,use it on the cases when loading on my xl650.wouldn't load without it.it smooth out the action of the press big time, the dies glides inside the case like a hot knife in butter .

i was hesitant at using one shot on the hi tek coating by fear it would destroy it or somethin...

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    There are plenty of other lubes on the market, but how they compare is not known.
    Aqualube is available directly from US or manufacturer.
    There is no restriction with supplies.
    is that means i could order directly from your business Joe?

Boolit Buddy
    so guys,since my question hasn't be answered,i throw it around again: can i do 10 grams for 52ml of acetone,or should i respect the original recipe which is 20 grams for 105 ml of acetone?
    I use a level measuring tablespoon of powder to about 60ml of acetone. Has worked great for me.

Boolit Buddy
    i'm loading same lenght as jacketed,which is 1.130 for all the nines i owns....they're all glocks or course lol.

while i might try a shorter coal for the first time ever,because some of them don't spin as freely as they're supposed to in the plunk test ; the resized .357 diameter boolit , as oppposed to the .355 for most jacketed , is probably the culprit here. i don't see the boolit lenght and profile being responsible for that since this mold is based on a proven bullet in my guns. it's a copycat of the hornady XTP 147 except i've replaced the HP's by a truncated cone. very,very accurate, on par with the jacketed version, very consistent accuracy .
    The bullet I use looks the same as yours. I have had no luck sizing at .357, matter of fact, even at .356 they don't drop easy into my case gauge; so I just use a spare Glock barrel. Since the 9mm case is tapered, I think seating longer may be better. I usually seat all mine about 1.125. I haven't tried seating longer to see if that helps. I could be off base but that's my theory.

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    I use a level measuring tablespoon of powder to about 60ml of acetone. Has worked great for me.
    i'm using a seringe for precise measurements....i'm quite anal in this deprtment lol.

i think i'm gonna stay with the diluted mix. in fact it's 54 ml of acetone 10 grams of powder.i like the color of the '' regular recipe '''' better, but the finish of the coating isn't as silky smooth as the results i'm getting with the diluted mix. a matter of having the most slippery finish possible,so it resize easily, and it probably glide a little better down the barrel if that is of any importance.

i've finally tried the dillon case lube made out of lanolyn and denatured alcohol. it is much forgiving for the coating and the die.

must reckon that this coating hi tek is very resistant to friction.i've resized thousands of my boolits dry, and it was rubbing very tight in the die,yet no flaking of color ripped off.only some blemishes due to the high friction coefficient.quite a tstament to this product.

i was .......hum....wondering if the aqualube 5000 is ....the same as the aqualube they sell in.....drug stores which is used for...ahum...you know?

seems both version are water based so i thought maybe i could try lol

as for seating my specific boolit, well,i knew depending the profile, i would have maybe to load at a much shorter coal than what i'm used to ; so then, i made sure this boolit could be seated deeper in the case without changing the load density drastically.

i might try 1.125 just to make sure all the finished rounds will pass the plunk test .not that it doesn't at 1.130, but some of them kind of not spin entirely freely. again my anal sens of perfection kicking in lol.

i'm surprized that,your rounds don't pass the gauge test at .356!!

most jacketed in 9mm are .355 diameter,but the way i see it, this number is undersize ,which is normal since we can go undersize with jacketed bullet,doesn't really matter , jacketed are hard enough to get a good ''grip'' on the riflings. but for casts, i know most glocks shoot good without leading at .357,while some units are doin good at .356.

seems like the thing with cast is that, we must get an oversized boolits because the material is softer than copper jacket ,then, it,s important to have some more ''meat''' so the riflings gets a good grip on the boolit bearing.....

maybe i miss something, but it,s how i understand the quest for accuracy and a clean barrel.
    Last edited by glockfan; 06-29-2018 at 11:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Aqua lube 5000 is what I use - makes a big difference. The spray bottle I got from the good Mr. Miculek got unfixably plugged, so I measure it out in a syringe, having diluted it by half so I can measure it out more easily (I figured one or two spritz from the spray bottle might be half a cc for about 250 boolits, so I use a ml of the diluted stuff).

The personal lube stuff I kinda think would find itself out of its league, dontcha think?

Well nice to see after all this time the thread has gon from:-
    "I can't get this stuff to work no matter what I do"
    Now full of post of:-
    "Oh I mix at a ratio of x to x works for me"

About time ppl got their act together :P..
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    It only took us ten thousand posts to start paying attention to you, Ausglock and Joe... ;^D

Boolit Master
    Yeah... But I talk a lot of Sierra Hotel India Tango
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

is that means i could order directly from your business Joe?

Sorry, I was referring to sales down under. Your orders may be processible from US.
    US has recently being sent plenty of Aqualube stock that will arrive mid August, but Donnie has stocks any way.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 06-30-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Page 509 of 742 FirstFirst ... 9409459499500501502503504505506507508509510511512513514515516517518519559609 ... LastLast