WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Will try Joe. But this stuff is in completely dried chunks in the bottle. I may have to soak it in acetone for a while to soften before it will mix.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Will try Joe. But this stuff is in completely dried chunks in the bottle. I may have to soak it in acetone for a while to soften before it will mix.
    Yes, it will take more of an effort to re-mix, but it should mix in. Can you get any MEK? This is a stronger solvent and may assist with dissolving faster than Acetone.

With plastic bottles you are using, these have fairly thin walls. Solvents permeate through walls. Most solvent type bottled are high density Poly-Ethylene or Poly-Propylene types. Caps should have a Poly wadding in them to seal. Many simply store made up liquids in an old fridge. This slows down darkening and reduces solvent losses. If you only have small batches, the cost of storing them far outweighs losses if you throw out unused residue. I don't like wasting stuff and use it whilst and if possible.

I'm like you, don't like to waste stuff. Hence the liquid detergent bottles. If I had planned to store for a long period I may have used something else. But being a hobby cast and coater I usually only coat small lots of bullets. Probably 10 pounds at most. So when I get through I almost always have some coating left. I have a large bottle that has several mixed batches combined in it. Lost count of how many. I shook it last night and it has not fully re-mixed. I could probably coat three coats many thousands of bullets with that bottle.

But agin,I will try to re-mix the completely dried and coat some rifle bullets with it.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    I'm like you, don't like to waste stuff. Hence the liquid detergent bottles. If I had planned to store for a long period I may have used something else. But being a hobby cast and coater I usually only coat small lots of bullets. Probably 10 pounds at most. So when I get through I almost always have some coating left. I have a large bottle that has several mixed batches combined in it. Lost count of how many. I shook it last night and it has not fully re-mixed. I could probably coat three coats many thousands of bullets with that bottle.

But agin,I will try to re-mix the completely dried and coat some rifle bullets with it.
    Ausglock told me that he had many colours that were left over, and he mixed the whole lot in one bottle, and used it OK. Some were very old. He does keep it in a fridge to slow down losses and darkening, but there is always some changes to original appearance.
    Once he coats with a blend of all mix, he simply over coats with the Black K-15, so it ends up Black any way. At least he uses up all coatings.
    He can end up with 3-5 thin coats, and it seems to work OK.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Ausglock told me that he had many colours that were left over, and he mixed the whole lot in one bottle, and used it OK. Some were very old. He does keep it in a fridge to slow down losses and darkening, but there is always some changes to original appearance.
    Once he coats with a blend of all mix, he simply over coats with the Black K-15, so it ends up Black any way. At least he uses up all coatings.

That is exactly what i was thinking, use the mix of colours as a base/primer, then a top coat to make them "pretty" saves wasting any coating.

Boolit Master
    Yep. That is where the Deadpool bullets come from.
    2 coats of Red 245M with 1 coat of Black K15.
    Second coat of black now on waiting to get time to bake.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

wondering how much BHN we loose after heating 400 for powder coating?
    The best way to cheer oneself is to cheer another....Mark Twain.......
    "IF YOU CAN'T GO SHOOTIN GO FISHIN"...
    >)))))}•> .....>)))•>

Banned
    You don't lose any BHN UNLESS you water quenched when casting

Boolit Buddy
    dansedgli
    You have done very well. These look great.
    Just an observation, on the last cooked tray, seems to indicate on some being a tad more Tan than rest. I am wondering if you may have had a hot spot area where these cooked a bit harder, or is it shadow on picture? Irrespective, I think that they are great and you are doing well with having this one the first time to use.
    The way you are going, you will out do Ausglock......
    I dont think it is a shadow. Some bullets have tan patchy bits.

I was going to put it down to using only 4mls on the 2nd coat but I'm also using a $99 Kmart convection oven so that won't be perfect.

They still look good and Im sure will shoot well so I am happy.

Boolit Master
    Dan.
    I have 4 of the Kmart ovens setup to do most of my production baking.
    I retro fitted them with a capilliary thermostat probe/dial.
    Far better temp holding and all 4 ovens run the same setting.
    I'll post a few pics when I get home.
    2.5Kg in each for 12 minutes.... perfect... Temp is set at 190deg C.
    It takes a few minutes longer, but less chance of overbaking with the 10 Deg cooler setting.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Yep. That is where the Deadpool bullets come from.
    2 coats of Red 245M with 1 coat of Black K15.
    Second coat of black now on waiting to get time to bake.
    You ruin an excellent looking boolit by adding another coat of black

Boolit Master
    Yep...
    Gotta be able to sell them once the test is done.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    This one?

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/45l-...on-oven/875301

Ive got a PID with a probe just under the bullet tray. I'll give the lower temp and more weight a try next time.

Boolit Master
    Yep. similar. Mine are the older version.

Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Your fan is much bigger than mine. Mine has a smaller one on the right hand side under the rotisserie thingo.

That might be my issue.

Boolit Man
    For me the hardest color to mix after setting a few months is the black. If there is a little left in a container of a color and I want to mix another color I just mix on top so my colors are generally a mix.. and like above.. I will mix left over colors all in one and add acetone. I bake a bit longer than instructions so my bullets are all darker than normal anyway.

lazs

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Your fan is much bigger than mine. Mine has a smaller one on the right hand side under the rotisserie thingo.

That might be my issue.
    Pull the fan blade off and put more hook on the end of the blades. gives more airflow.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

^^^
    great idea right there...might try this one on both my B&D.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EDAD7355-4F3F-479B-A880-11EF45A229CE.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	220576

Couple slightly over baked bullets. 44 wadcutter and 44 round nose out of a Belgian contract S&W model 3
    They hit the concrete backstop pretty hard and flew into the sand bern.
    This Hi-Tek stuff seems to hold on Pretty well.

The Single Action Shooting Society publish a journal and the April issue has an article about Hi-Tek. Looks like someone else has discovered it and the article may generate a bit of interest among the Single Action crowd.
    Can be downloaded here (it's a .pdf) - https://www.sassnet.com/CCArchive.php

Page 501 of 742 FirstFirst ... 401451491492493494495496497498499500501502503504505506507508509510511551601 ... LastLast