RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

This could be a wild guess but are there any chances that when you’re wipe testing your baked bullets that there is some coating on your fingers? Or any dirt/soot from fluxing and casting?
    I’ve splashed coating on my fingers and or had dirty hands from general lead handling and when I wipe tested I briefly mistakened the mess on the paper towel as unbaked coating. Since then I make sure that a hold a bullet in tongs or hold longer bullets by one end, making sure not to contact my fingers to the paper towel.
    As stated above. Over baked and under cured do not happen together.

Boolit Master
    Gentlemen,thanks for the suggestions - now I have some success!

It is the oven.

It was the smell thing that helped. My bullets were undercooked despite all the metering whatsoever. My 1400 watt convection oven gives boolits that pass the tests... sort of... but when I extend the acetone test longer,say one minute,they fail even when baked longer and darker. The smell comes when you fire them undercooked. I thought the smell was just a normal thing.

I took my ancient 2500 Watt no-frills-oven from the warehouse,fired it up and baked normally. Even the looks are different now,I' m getting some gloss on the bullets.

Loaded up a pocketful,went shooting .358 size and look grandma no leading!

Attachment 219933.

I think this oven belonged to my Grandma,this is from the 70's or so. Funny that I have had this all the time here, the "convection fan" got me big time.

Unless they overbake the first coat and under bake the second , would give you dark apperance plus wipeoff. The second coat would have to be a very thin one. Just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    But... you can't overbake and still get wipeoff.... not possible.

I would really really like to see a vid of your process. Youtube it.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Glad you found the problem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Glad you found the problem.
    Thank you!

My wife used to make pottery, I learned it too while watching and helping.

I can take mud from the ground and make an item out of it,then bake it hard as a rock. Then I can bake colors and glass to the surface. Still got those powders and stuff,the crazy oven is gone.

About time I learn to bake a boolit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Unless they overbake the first coat and under bake the second , would give you dark apperance plus wipeoff. The second coat would have to be a very thin one. Just a suggestion
    Yep,pretty much that. My 1400 watt convection oven was giving uneven random results. I can test-wipe a bullet and it's fine. But the other one may not be.

I don't know made me buy an oven like that, they are too cheap... nothing cheap has ever worked for me. Well, live and learn again.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    My 1400 watt convection oven was giving uneven random results.

I don't know made me buy an oven like that, they are too cheap
    The obvious inference is that there's something wrong with the fan as it sounds like it's not circulating the heat evenly. As for the "cheap" oven, many on here are using cheap convection ovens with no problems .

Do you have PID on the oven? While not absolutely necessary, they make it considerably easier to maintain a reasonably consistent temperature (which is fairly critical for getting good results).

Boolit Master
    In answer to HI-TEK Joe, One can be sued for pointing out the short comings of a product or service in this country, just because one is right, your *** will still be in a sling if you publicly make it known. Having said that I was once against these coatings just shows my ignorance at the time, it was not HI-TEK that was at fault it was those using the product or their version of it. I am not an expert at using this product but can honestly say that any problems one has when using it, rests with the person using it, not the product. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    With the small fan ovens. I de-constructed mine and put more hook on the end of the fan blades. Bent them a few degrees in the direction of rotation. Vast improvement to air flow in the oven.
    Have done the same to the fan in my converted Wall oven. But... It has a switch that turns the fan off when you open the door. This prevents too much heat being blown out when turning the trays.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    More watts feels easy and right.

It stays at 200-205 even when I load 2# of boolits in there. The thermostat is very accurate.

Boolit Master
    This is not a bad oven, just not heavy duty.

Attachment 219996

I have a big brick oven in my summer place. Tons of bricks. It takes a week to warm up to baking temp,never really hot. But the power must be half a million watts, I can bake nine dark rye breads in there at once, take them out in 45 minutes and bake another nine right after.

Think V8 vs 4 engine. Torque,not top speed or temp.

Boolit Master
    Ripe boolits are good boolits!

Attachment 220026.

Overcooked on purpose, I had to start somewhere with the new oven.

Is this gloss something that should be here? I like the looks,shoots good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Ripe boolits are good boolits!

Attachment 220026.

Overcooked on purpose, I had to start somewhere with the new oven.

Is this gloss something that should be here? I like the looks,shoots good.

This was posted several times previously. I have had reports, of projectile being in oven for weeks,, and it was burnt black, but shot great.
    Over Cooked coating.pdf

Boolit Master
    Glossy is good.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Joe you got me thinking. I have some bullets that have been in the oven for a couple years.
    I’m going to try to load them. Hahah. Can’t wait.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Joe you got me thinking. I have some bullets that have been in the oven for a couple years.
    I’m going to try to load them. Hahah. Can’t wait.
    Michael,
    That will be very interesting indeed.
    I have never had an opportunity to see any coated alloy baked so long. What colours were they initially? I bet it is Burnt black.
    The ones that were previously baked for 8 days, apparently were extremely slippery, and it was difficult to hang on to them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Michael,
    That will be very interesting indeed.
    I have never had an opportunity to see any coated alloy baked so long. What colours were they initially? I bet it is Burnt black.
    The ones that were previously baked for 8 days, apparently were extremely slippery, and it was difficult to hang on to them.
    Older gold liquid not sure of the color. It came from Donnie 3 or 4 years back
    Red copper
    Black

They’re all jet black now. If any of them are still in a proper dimension and have not slumped I’ll load them and shoot them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Older gold liquid not sure of the color. It came from Donnie 3 or 4 years back
    Red copper
    Black

They’re all jet black now. If any of them are still in a proper dimension and have not slumped I’ll load them and shoot them.

If they are coated twice, and remained in oven, chances are that they are not sized. I don't know, but sizing may sort things out with shape changes.
    I would be interested seeing some pictures as is, and also if you size them side by side. If all goes well, it may answer some questions about baking matters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    This was posted several times previously. I have had reports, of projectile being in oven for weeks,, and it was burnt black, but shot great.
    Over Cooked coating.pdf
    Sure I know that. I have read this all so many times. I pointed out the mistake in hiperformancebullets website. I have made many,too.

Lets repeat: Attachment 220046. I know this makes me the bad guy again.

Just saying I know they are overcooked so noone starts on that.

It must be my english,man. We don't communicate.
    Last edited by Petander; 05-08-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Glossy is good.
    Exellent. I have never seen a Hi Tek bullet before you know. I don't know how they feel or rattle or smash just by looking at pics.

Sample boolits for stupid customers like me might be a good idea?

Here is a video, I have played in Oz. I'm the handsome one with lead guitar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r-xRNZwQ3WQ

Page 497 of 742 FirstFirst ... 397447487488489490491492493494495496497498499500501502503504505506507547597 ... LastLast