RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 49 of 742 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149549 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Banned

TC, the brand new lcp i am shooting every day. 50 per day, no leading. I'll check again, but i just brush out. You have a step that is wrong somewhere. You should order a smallest order from your favorite hard cast lead bullets supplier and do 5-1-10 on that. You do have convection oven? That helps, so they reccomend. I stained and cooked around 1200 last nite. Just check all your steps and maybe order some. I am gonna order some unsized/unlubed from my supplier, $58 for 1000, ain't bad. I stain (new word i stole from hi-tek) then size to my die, not his. Sometime if ya mix a extra 1000 in with what you have already cast really helps, I shoot alot. 3 calibers of pistol.

"its shake and bake mama"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sISgevoaTcU
    Buy quality equipment, it will be here when your 80.

Banned

TC, the brand new lcp i am shooting every day. 50 per day, no leading. I'll check again, but i just brush out. You have a step that is wrong somewhere. You should order a smallest order from your favorite hard cast lead bullets supplier and do 5-1-10 on that. You do have convection oven? That helps, so they reccomend. I stained and cooked around 1200 last nite. Just check all your steps and maybe order some. I am gonna order some unsized/unlubed from my supplier, $58 for 1000, ain't bad. I stain (new word i stole from hi-tek) then size to my die, not his. Sometime if ya mix a extra 1000 in with what you have already cast really helps, I shoot alot. 3 calibers of pistol.

"its shake and bake mama"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sISgevoaTcU
    Buy quality equipment, it will be here when your 80.

Never ordered cast bullets before only cast my own and pure WW has never failed me before the coating I could run all day long with no signs of leading in sight I also make my own lube.

I do not have a convection oven (yet) I'm using a gas oven right now but might get a convection if I can get this coating to work.

I agree that it is probably something I'm doing wrong but I've followed everything that Hi-tek and ausglock have recommended with no luck. The shaking half way through seems to get the color to be 90% even. Bullets pass every test minus the one that counts and that's the leading test. 5-1-10 of coating and about 7mls of the mix per 250 9mm bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Gonna get a oven temp thermometer just so I know exactly what the temp I'm cooking at is.
    Walmart has a oven thermometer for 5 or 6 dollars. Seems like oven temp has got to be the problem. Looks like you are doing everything right.

Boolit Grand Master

The temperature of the gas oven in our kitchen varies quite a bit. Could be your problem. Hope this oven you are using is not the one in your kitchen.

Maybe I started outside with a little electric one but I can just do so much more with the Gas inside, It's vented well and you can't even tell i'm cooking bullets.

Is anyone else coating "tumble lubed" bullets with success? I'm trying both 9mm and 45acp and after much experimentation it's still leading my barrel. Here's the details:

100% COWW - (Seemed really soft... BAD BAD BAD leading)

50% COWW/%50 Lino mix - BNH about 15-16.

Coated twice with Red-Copper HT (I've tried 5-1-5, 7-1-5, 8-1-5 ratios, last one seems better.)

I've loaded both types, then pulled them to check for over crimping/shaving, both good.

Running the appropriate amount of "Accurate #2" powder for each.

I'm about ready to ditch the "TL" design and buy some other molds (80 more bux... ugghh.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-24 12.46.03.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	80119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-24 12.46.11.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	80120

Hmmm That is the same mold I'm running in 9mm but I haven't been able to make it work yet I'm guessing someone has.

Boolit Grand Master

Try 5 parts color, 1 part catalyst, 5 to 7 parts acetone. Do 3 coats. Size to .358" if it will slide inside a fired case with no problems. Stay away from max loads with AA#2, start to medium work well. Do the acetone wipe test and hammer test on the first coat.

Boolit Master
    I run the 45 230gr RN TL bullet with 2 coats of red copper or green or gold, or pearl Yellow, or glitter gold or Rose red or fire engine red or or black and they fire fine in my Para single stack.
    my mate uses that 9mm bullet in his SVI coated with Green or red copper and it fires fine.

The photo above looks to be coating too thick for only 2 coats.
    Do they smash and have zero wipeoff?

If there is small wipeoff of colour, increase your bake time by 2 minutes.
    mix 5 colour, 1 catalyst, 10 acetone.
    Last edited by oneokie; 04-12-2015 at 07:17 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I run the 45 230gr RN TL bullet with 2 coats of red copper or green or gold, or pearl Yellow, or glitter gold or Rose red or fire engine red or or black and they fire fine in my Para single stack.
    my mate uses that 9mm bullet in his SVI coated with Green or red copper and it fires fine.

The photo above looks to be coating too thick for only 2 coats.
    Do they smash and have zero wipeoff?

If there is small wipeoff of colour, increase your bake time by 2 minutes.
    mix 5 colour, 1 catalyst, 10 acetone.
    Well, you give me hope then that the molds aren't trash. Now I have a couple of areas to start focusing on.

With the wipe test, I get just a tiny bit of transfer. As for the smash test, when I smash with the hammer it's fine, however, if I scrape the lube grove area with my fingernail after I smash it, the coating will flake but not on the rest of the bullet, so are they getting too hot then?

Thanks for the input and I will be back in a while with the results.
    Last edited by oneokie; 04-12-2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Updated info

Banned

Maybe I started outside with a little electric one but I can just do so much more with the Gas inside, It's vented well and you can't even tell i'm cooking bullets.
    Gas inside? iam confused.

Ok third day for lcp, nother 40 today, just ran brush thru 6 times and the lil' plastic brush a few times. Barrel looks like the day i bought it. You should get a convection oven and cook outside.

OK TWO-alpha bullets will sell 125gr/9mm for 55$dollars unsized/unlubes,, thats for 1000 bullets. Hes out of Iowa.

heres the link:http://www.twoalphabullets.com/

this lead is mix at foundry with correct recipe for hard cast bullets. Hes great with email and phone to. Check out his web site. He is a match shooter and does do hi-tek at matches and can not get his barrel dirty and he will talk to you about what you need to know.

Banned

If members dont want to cast and just want to hi-tek!

http://www.twoalphabullets.com/

1000 projectile 125gr for 55$ unsized/unlubed. Call john, he is a match shooter using hi-tek also.

Yes, he has all calibers.
    Last edited by gunoil; 08-25-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by golfhack View Post
    Leadman/Hi-Tek,

Thanks - it makes sense, great information. Hope this helps others looking to use Hi-Tek but not yet casting their own bullets. It should be relatively simple for me to source unsized/unlubed bullets since it saves the supplier an extra step. I re-read the threads and it does not appear that my temperature was excessive so I do think it was the burnishing effect from pre-sizing the bullets. I look forward to trying it again as soon as I get my next batch.
    Just a quick footnote, when you are ordering plain hard cast product, please ask your supplier if he uses any release agent in his casting moulds.
    Sometimes, (if used), these type of release agents, will also later interfere with coating bonding to alloy.
    What is needed with casting, is a non "wet" type of release agent, that will not transfer to alloy, but release projectile cleanly from moulds.
    If you have a talk with Donnie, at Bayou, he can make recommendations about such material.
    Your caster may also talk with Donnie about a product called Hi-Tek 500 Plus.
    Many, including home casters have found great results with clean release and no problems with coating afterwards.
    Hope this helps.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Just a quick footnote, when you are ordering plain hard cast product, please ask your supplier if he uses any release agent in his casting moulds.
    Sometimes, (if used), these type of release agents, will also later interfere with coating bonding to alloy.
    What is needed with casting, is a non "wet" type of release agent, that will not transfer to alloy, but release projectile cleanly from moulds.
    If you have a talk with Donnie, at Bayou, he can make recommendations about such material.
    Your caster may also talk with Donnie about a product called Hi-Tek 500 Plus.
    Many, including home casters have found great results with clean release and no problems with coating afterwards.
    Hope this helps.

Is there any way to "wash" off these release agents? Just asking cause I have some already coming in and didn't know I needed to ask supplier about this.

Boolit Master

Hi,
    I suppose, if they have used some sort of release lube during casting, if you find out what they used, I may be able to assist with some way of using the product with solvent wash type system.
    Some of these release agent are difficult to remove as they contain various ingredients that may not be soluble in every solvent.
    The projectiles may need first, a Turps wash, then and Acetone wash, or, Auto thinner wash, then Acetone wash and drying, & after thorough rinses are done.
    Thereafter, you can try to coat just a few, and see how you go.
    You may be lucky, and your caster may not have used any mold releases, then, projectiles would be clean, straight out of mold.
    This is a problem that has not occurred here for many years, and, commercial casters all know not to use any thing that would interfere with coating.
    Some do use the 500plus release agent which is Ok with mold release, and not interfere with coating methods.
    Please send me an update as you can about your supplier use of mold release agents.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystaxia View Post
    Well, you give me hope then that the molds aren't trash. Now I have a couple of areas to start focusing on.

With the wipe test, I get just a tiny bit of transfer. As for the smash test, when I smash with the hammer it's fine, however, if I scrape the lube grove area with my fingernail after I smash it, the coating will flake but not on the rest of the bullet, so are they getting too hot then?

Thanks for the input and I will be back in a while with the results.
    Increase your time by 2 minutes, but leave the temp where it is.
    You should have zero wipe off.
    If the smash doesn't flake off on the bearing surfaces, then you are good to go. Ignore the lube groove.

I did a bit of testing today. My 38 Super Kimber likes 5-1-10 mix with 2 coats.
    A fellow shooter's CZ hates it. His gun likes 5-1-7 mix and 2 coats. His barrel is a bit rougher looking down the bore. He wants to try 5-1-5 mix on the red copper for 2 coats, So I'm going to mix 5-1-5 and coat a few 100 for him to try.

With flat base bullets ( lee 9mm 125gr RN) I am trying 2 coats of green 5-1-10. then size, and then apply a third coat of 5-1-10 just to see what happens. I'll be using the new 3 Extreme Catalyst.

Also going to mix Red/copper 5-1-5 with the 3 Extreme Catalyst just to see how it goes.
    The Glitter Bronze is a very nice looking colour. 1/2 way between gold and red. I like it. Should be good for rifles too, as it has a lot of metallic elements.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Well according to my new walmart cheap-o thermometer my 400(dial) is closer to 380 real temp but that shouldn't be messing me up should it?

Well according to my new walmart cheap-o thermometer my 400(dial) is closer to 380 real temp but that shouldn't be messing me up should it?
    190c = 374f or so, 380 should work just fine.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Banned

TC, Wouldnt think so. I check mine yesterday with new temp gage, gonna check again. Temp was low yesterday and still no leading. First day i've every had temp gage. I been shootin hitek before i started this 1024# sticky. You'll figure it out. Try to get convection oven at kmart, where i got mine, then it goes on sale. uh-huh! Gotta cook outside, i always will! I have cooked 1 tray in garage, but you hav to leave and then open door. My garage is a/c-heat, so dont want door open. Might buy 500 bullets for round 27$ from john, run a test on that. Your tray is wire?,, so air can circulate thru TC.?? I would use acetone. I dont know, just throwin stuff out. A paycheck or two, iam gonna get some 9mm from john. Link above,on last pg.. Ausglock told me first of thread, let first coat dry 30 mins.. Preheat oven and do sompin else,, my iphone timer tells me when stuffs ready.