RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone have info on what to do and buy? Any videos or anything?I'll do this also buy need videos or something. Like part names and what not. How many lbs could I exspect to coatnot one time?

Boolit Buddy
    Could someone sent me the link to a PID tonrun my Manuel oven. Its 220 amp.

Banned
    I'm assuming you meant 220 volts,
    Electric Range - 220 - 240 volt, 60 hertz, properly grounded circuit with 40 amp breaker or fuse protection with #8 gauge wire. With a 50 amp breaker, # 6 gauge wire is required.

HATCH a mod & VS here sells them, I believe OBII [really nice guy] and several other members sell them occasionally. Haven't seen OBII around for a while.

Boolit Buddy
    I've come across sporadic reports of HITEK in rifle bullets.
    I have used BHN 12-14 ( and even softer stuff !) with no leading &good accuracy in 7x57,9.3x62 and .404J-all at approx 18-1900 fps.
    Plan is to kick up the velocity to over 2000fps -Ive done 1940 fps with RCBS SIL 145gr 0.285 and 2 coats of Bronze 502 in the 7x57.2" group benched, no leading.
    A new tub of Texas Tea is enroute.
    Without going to BHN in the 30's how fast have people gone with standard, hunting hardness coated loads in rifles?
    TIA
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    Does your oven seem to push a good amount of air? Con you hear the fan blowing when it's running?

My oven has a 6" fan in the back of it and I can hear it running and pushes air out of the top vent. My oven is what is called a built in so it doesn't have top burners.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    I'm assuming you meant 220 volts,
    Electric Range - 220 - 240 volt, 60 hertz, properly grounded circuit with 40 amp breaker or fuse protection with #8 gauge wire. With a 50 amp breaker, # 6 gauge wire is required.

HATCH a mod & VS here sells them, I believe OBII [really nice guy] and several other members sell them occasionally. Haven't seen OBII around for a while.
    Yes Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by eljefeoz View Post
    I've come across sporadic reports of HITEK in rifle bullets.
    I have used BHN 12-14 ( and even softer stuff !) with no leading &good accuracy in 7x57,9.3x62 and .404J-all at approx 18-1900 fps.
    Plan is to kick up the velocity to over 2000fps -Ive done 1940 fps with RCBS SIL 145gr 0.285 and 2 coats of Bronze 502 in the 7x57.2" group benched, no leading.
    A new tub of Texas Tea is enroute.
    Without going to BHN in the 30's how fast have people gone with standard, hunting hardness coated loads in rifles?
    TIA
    My most accurate bullet is a .308 around 14 BHN speeds to around 2600 fps. Typical groups 1 1/2 inch 100 yards. In fact, if I take this bullet and increase the speed above 2600, have shot it above 2700fps, or the BHN, last try was 17 BHN, it seems to loose some of it's accuracy. I coated most of these with the liquid version of Gold 1035 three coats. I'm told the powder version of Gold 1035 is the same. I have also used the Bronze 500 powder and some of the non metallic coatings at speeds around 2400-2600 fps. I believe the fastest I have pushed a bullet with Hi Tek is a little over 3000 fps. But that was in .224 and the BHN was 20+. Oh, left out the most important part. No lead in the barrel.

The only time I had leading in my rifle with Hi Tek was when a guy that shoots Garand asked me if I thought I could shoot the .308s with no gas checks and enough pressure to operate the semi auto. I'm not sure if he was doing it with no gas check in what ever he was using. Anyway I tried it with what I knew would operate the rifle, pressure producing about 2700 fps and had minor leading last inch of the 24 inch barrel. And shots were not anywhere near the target. Been some time ago but as I remember BHN of that lead was around 12. Mold was a design for gas check which I'm sure didn't help. That was back when I first started using the coating. I probably could have dropped the pressure down to produce speeds of 2000 fps or lower and not had a problem. But I didn't go back and revisit it.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Avenger
    14 BHN at 2600fps?
    there's hope for me yet...

Am happy in a way, that the 2 coat-bake cycles will add an element of annealing. I mostly air cool them, except for one lot of 7mm which Ive water dropped to move them faster.
    am looking forward to fun times, trying to get them past 2000fps in the .404!!
    I think the .404 380 grains were just about 8BHN IIRC, been a while since I last loaded some.
    A mate got some foundry type, with I think a BHN of 30. we cut it down to 18BHN, when tested with the Lee tester, and cast 160gr SAECO 0.285" pills with it, with 2 coats of Bronze 502.Lets see how it does in his 7 Rem mag

Boolit Buddy
    At 475 pages, I have to index the pages in my reloading notebook and take pics of the posts relevant to me.
    Would it be worthwhile starting a separate thread on HITEK in rifles ?
    What say the 'mob of colours' ?
    Cheers

eljefeoz
    .404 at 2000 fps I know you guys don't go elephant hunting in Oz. That must knock pretty much anything on it's butt. Your probably shooting it for the same reason I shoot 45-70. Like to have your shoulder sore. In any case, the Hi Tek should be able to handle that big bullet at over 2000.

I have a theory that I have been meaning to read up on and maybe do a little testing. The smaller the lead bullet the more protection it needs. It has probably been covered before somewhere. We have some on this forum that believe that revolutions per minute and not pressure is the biggest contributing factor in lube failure when shooting lead. Of course raise one and you raise the other. Their point is reducing the twist helps reduce leading. But then you get into stabilization of the bullet. It would seem that a .223 would be spinning faster than say .45 all other factors being the same. Using the theory the .223 would need more protection than the .45. Hmm another thing to do. Maybe start with some .223 at 8 BHN three coats of Hi Tek and shoot it faster till it leads the barrel then do the same with a 45-70.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    eljefeoz
    .404 at 2000 fps I know you guys don't go elephant hunting in Oz. That must knock pretty much anything on it's butt. Your probably shooting it for the same reason I shoot 45-70. Like to have your shoulder sore. In any case, the Hi Tek should be able to handle that big bullet at over 2000.

I have a theory that I have been meaning to read up on and maybe do a little testing. The smaller the lead bullet the more protection it needs. It has probably been covered before somewhere. We have some on this forum that believe that revolutions per minute and not pressure is the biggest contributing factor in lube failure when shooting lead. Of course raise one and you raise the other. Their point is reducing the twist helps reduce leading. But then you get into stabilization of the bullet. It would seem that a .223 would be spinning faster than say .45 all other factors being the same. Using the theory the .223 would need more protection than the .45. Hmm another thing to do. Maybe start with some .223 at 8 BHN three coats of Hi Tek and shoot it faster till it leads the barrel then do the same with a 45-70.
    Avenger,
    It seems, that you are becoming a researcher. This may progress to you writing a book of tests and results with all sort of calibres. It will sell millions......then, you will be able to afford a team of researchers and may be export Ausglock, and that way you will get the stirrer and results as well

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Avenger,
    It seems, that you are becoming a researcher. This may progress to you writing a book of tests and results with all sort of calibres. It will sell millions......then, you will be able to afford a team of researchers and may be export Ausglock, and that way you will get the stirrer and results as well
    What I do with shooting is for fun and I promised myself that I would never let it turn into a business. I found once that when that was the purpose most of the fun melted. But you and Ausglock can come over and visit Donnie and me sometime in the States. I don't drink anymore but it sounds like you and Treavor might take up my part. Bet Donnie can find some good mud bugs. And I'll have root beer with mine. Love the stuff. We will have to meet at Donnie's place though. Our house is always a wreck.

By the way, I tested the Hi Tek and powder coated loads today and everything was bad. Same bullet weight same powder load. Speeds were all over the place with both HT and PC 600-800 fps. No real groups with either one best one was about 6" at 25 yards and I think that was an accident based on the others. I haven't gone back and reviewed the data yet but a casual look during testing was showing a standard deviation in the high 20s and low 30s. Way outside optimum of about 12. I tried to use what I had coated HT and PC same bullet and used a load that looked like it should work. And that looks like the problem. Bullets were same weight within a grain and groups were shot with bullets grouped within a tenth of a grain. Have to get with Slide and go with a different bullet in a load we both have found to be accurate. We have had some good groups with a Lee TL bullet and a different powder. This was a hollow point and Titegroup powder, I've had trouble with Tightgroup powder before. It is good from the standpoint of using so little to shoot. But if it is off a small amount it makes a big difference. Kinda like trying to mix enough HT to coat ten bullets. I thought that I could eliminate that with measuring every load to within a tenth of a grain, which I would have done for test anyway. Some guys have better luck with it or they wouldn't sell it. Didn't work with these 38 specials. Only good thing was the homemade rest worked well.

To top it off my truck's trans was giving me a problem today. It's an automatic and the thing will not shift out of high gear. Headed to mechanic tomorrow.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 01-25-2018 at 07:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    When you get ready let me know and I will send some bullets.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    When you get ready let me know and I will send some bullets.
    Sent PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Avenger
    Yup. Looking at a a BHN 8-12 BHN 380 Gr at 2000 fps to make things go zing.
    I took up CB after years of big bore shooting and 3 procedures on my shoulder. Now it looks like I can’t get enough of CB fun. The long rolling push of most of the Brit doubles is far welcome , compared to the nasty wham of a .378 or .460 wea.
    A 0.285 154 Gr RCBS Sil with 3 coats of HITEK at 2400 fps is my plan. As compared to a 380 Gr 0.425” in .404 with a single coat of zombie green, running at 2000 fps.
    Have some fun planned in the coming weeks and I will get back with the results.
    Cheers.

Hi all sorry if this question has already been asked but with 475 pages there's a lot of reading to get through!!
    I normally cook 4Ib's of bullets in 9mm 357 and 45 for 10-12 minutes my question is I just cast up 4Ib's of 37gr .225" calibre Boolits (830 approximately) I think I will have to do these in 2Ib lots so around 400 will this effect my baking times?

Boolit Master
    Smelly.
    The only thing that could happen is that the colour you are using will darken a bit.
    Stay with what is working as far as time and temp goes. don't change anything, just bake the smaller amounts.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I work on a batch weight of just under 2 kgs, regardless of boolit size (.38 or .44). Works for me.

I suppose your smaller boolits could heat up a bit quicker individually, but with more of them you've still got a large mass to heat up so I don't see why it should be a problem. Only way to is to try it and see what the outcome is.

Thanks guys I'll give it a try my candy apple red seems to come out more like copper anyway seems to work well though

Boolit Buddy
    So I found a house oven that the guy said it's a speed oven. Its a older model. I take it it's the same as a convection oven? I can get one for 200. You all know how hard it's been for me. Do you guys know for sure if the full size house ovens have enough air movement for Hi-Tek? I don't want to have to modify it any.

Page 475 of 742 FirstFirst ... 375425465466467468469470471472473474475476477478479480481482483484485525575 ... LastLast