Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    No Hi-Tek. I'm talking about a full size house oven the is a Convection oven with a fan in it already. Are the convection ovens not modified any good? I have a house oven I use to PC already. Are there fans I can buy and cut a hole in the side of the oven and add one myself? If they have fans toy can buy and add I would do that. Like I said. I have a full size house oven already but no fan. I'm wanting to know if I can install one myself.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=TonyN;4263405]No Hi-Tek. I'm talking about a full size house oven the is a Convection oven with a fan in it already.These are OK.
    Are the convection ovens not modified any good?Convection ovens without fans can work, but not ideal.
    I have a house oven I use to PC already. Are there fans I can buy and cut a hole in the side of the oven and add one myself? Yes, you can buy a motor, with long shaft, and inside oven you install a fan on motor shaft
    If they have fans toy can buy and add I would do that. I don't understand this question. Like I said.
    I have a full size house oven already but no fan. I'm wanting to know if I can install one myself. I suggest you talk to an electrician and an electrical wholesaler for advice and installation of suitable fan/motor. I don't recommend you installing any electrical item.
    Any oven can be modified if it has no fan, and if there is adequate space inside the oven for the fan. Fans, and suitable motors for fan are available.

[/COLOR]My replies are in red. I thought that I had supplied you answers to your questions, but may be not...

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone have any clue what these items would be called to turn my oven into a convection oven. I can't find any parts for this.

coating with hi tek. what i'm doing wrong ?
    hi all at castboolit.long time lurker first time poster here.

i must admit that i've started to be interested by casting my own boolits when one of my shooting buddy gave me couple of his cast boolits coated with HI TEK to try in one of my limited glocks . it's been an eye opening experience .really ; no fumes,no lube, no barrel fooling.....very clean and accurate rounds .

before this day , i was reluctant to walk into casting because all it implies; lubing,resizing, ingot casting,bullet casting....and all the stages involved in the whole proces .

did my own research to learn the ropes ,and then started buying moulds,furnace, collecting wheel weights, a lyman 4500 lubrisizer ; i'm currently working with a lyman 356637 9mm rnfp 147 , and a 401638 175grainer for my 40's.both are 4 cavities moulds. i'm also waiting for an NOE groovless mould in 40S&W.

couple days ago i bought some hi tek powder in zombie green ,a can of acetone, and a hamilton beach convexion oven to get me started into boolit coating .

...and after my fisrt batch ever , here's the result which i think is really not what i should get as result.

for the record i mixed 20grams of powder in 100ml of acetone.

i had 1 pound of 9mm and 45acp boolits for my test , which i've put in a basket with 1ml of the hi tek mix , then shaked the basket for 20 seconds so the solvent evaporate and the mix stick to the boolits.

settled the oven to 400f and cooked the first layer for 10 minutes. here what i got. the boolits were brown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04363.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	212236

Name:	DSC04364.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	212237

then after leaving the batch cooling down to room temp i resumed the process for a second pass in the oven. here what i got after 8 minutes at 400 .

Name:	DSC04366.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	212238

Name:	DSC04367.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	212239

i can add to this that when i proceeded to make the mix in a translucid jar,i added a jacketed boolit to help stiring the mix, BUT that boolit have an exposed base,and i'm wondering if it could be the reason as why my mix look like that with a dark layer floating on top of the '''juice'''.

Name:	DSC04368.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	212240

to conclude i can say that those boolits failed the acetone and hammer test. the coating is chipping away,and when i proceeded to the hammer test the coating peeled off after only one hit.

Boolit Master
    G'day, Tupperware boy.

Mate... when you mix 20gms to 100mls Acetone. leave it to react for at least 30 minutes before you try and coat.
    Add 5mls to 2.5Kg of bullets.
    Swirl and dump onto drying tray just before it starts to dry off.
    Dumping them wet is OK. Dumping them dry is bad.

From the looks of your bullets the first and second coats look to have FAR TOO MUCH coating on them and the second coat looks lumpy. A sure sign that they were over swirled.
    The lube groove of the 9mm pills should not have any coating in them. If you have coating in the groove, you are using far too much.....

8 minutes in a small benchtop oven would not be enough time. I find 10 to 12 works fine.

I use lead bullets as rattle balls in my jars of mixed coating, so you have no problems with a jacketed pill.

Make sure that your tray of bullets is ABSOFUGGENLOTELY dry before baking. warm them with a hair drier before baking.

Also.. try to bake the same size and weight pills together.
    9mm and 45 pills have far different heatup rates.

The biggest problem newbies have is :
    1. using too much
    2. baking when not dry.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 01-20-2018 at 01:53 AM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    G'day, Tupperware boy.

Mate... when you mix 20gms to 100mls Acetone. leave it to react for at least 30 minutes before you try and coat.
    Add 5mls to 2.5Kg of bullets.
    Swirl and dump onto drying tray just before it starts to dry off.
    Dumping them wet is OK. Dumping them dry is bad.

From the looks of your bullets the first and second coats look to have FAR TOO MUCH coating on them and the second coat looks lumpy. A sure sign that they were over swirled.
    The lube groove of the 9mm pills should not have any coating in them. If you have coating in the groove, you are using far too much.....

8 minutes in a small benchtop oven would not be enough time. I find 10 to 12 works fine.

I use lead bullets as rattle balls in my jars of mixed coating, so you have no problems with a jacketed pill.

Make sure that your tray of bullets is ABSOFUGGENLOTELY dry before baking. warm them with a hair drier before baking.

Also.. try to bake the same size and weight pills together.
    9mm and 45 pills have far different heatup rates.

The biggest problem newbies have is :
    1. using too much
    2. baking when not dry.

thanks for the reply ausglock.

yep, i'm a glockfan héhé ...in fact, i have 4 of them fully customized for the IPSC standard class.

seems like getting good result with hi tek is easy, but it,s also easy to get bad results lol. it looks very straight forward at first glance, but realize that you must get an absolute control over the temps provided by the oven used.

i can't justify the 250$ required for a breville oven,so i settled for the hamilton beach unit. i'm using an external meter so i can get a clear idea of the temp i'm baking . i'm getting a steady 400 no problem.

baking in small batch requires very little mixture...and probably i've poured too much of it on the second layer.

i'm gonna remelt those boolits and try again tomorrow ...i 'm thinking perhaps getting some seringes would be a good measurement device , then adding the exact amount of mixture for the weight of lead i'm cooking should be more accurate.
    Last edited by glockfan; 01-20-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Banned
    try 10grms to 60 mil
    less than 1 mil solution to 1 # of boolits let the mix sit at least 30 min
    aggitate the solution with a couple boolits in the container immediately before applying to boolits
    use 10 ml syringe to extract 10 mills solution squirt it back in th bottle, extract another 10 mills, squirt out what you don't need, apply the remaining solution to boolits (no more than 1 mil per #
    swirl-agitate no more than 20 seconds [if the sound starts changing you've gone too long they are supposed to be damp when dumped]
    dump on screen/vented tray/basket and dry in front of a fan for 30 min
    set a tray on an oven for 10 min to pre-warm /insure 110% dry
    test oven with a thermometer set in the middle of bake shelf, adjust oven temp setting until the thermometer reads 400° I have a $20 convection oven from thrift store and $50 convection oven from anazon that do great
    bake 13 min, to begin with, if boolits are too dark, back bake time off a couple minutes [to dark will pass the smash and rub test and are ok to shoot]
    make sure boolits are cool and pass smash and rub test before the second coat

Boolit Master
    I hear ya..

Yes. ... use a Syringe. I do. it makes for repeatability.
    My old Gen 2.5 G17 Open Major 9.

My current Gen 3 G35 in 357SIG.
    We can't have 40S&W for IPSC, So 357Sig is std Major down here.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Ausglock, what is the make/model of that beaver tail piece you have? Slightly modified it could solve a problem for me. Hopefully not an Aussie only part. Thank you

I hear ya..

Yes. ... use a Syringe. I do. it makes for repeatability.
    My old Gen 2.5 G17 Open Major 9.

My current Gen 3 G35 in 357SIG.
    We can't have 40S&W for IPSC, So 357Sig is std Major down here.
    i see you got the strong hand thumb rest support...i've seen it on glockstore iirc. very nice,it imitate large safety levers....like you i've settled on the dawson ice heavy magwell,it add the weight where it's needed on a glock...seeing your open, i sometimes wonder if at 54 i shouldn't start to think about one myself. old eyes are getting older lol. however, i'm not sure they last ; i figure it must be a question of what is the standard load used.

here's for your ausglock eyes. my limited squadron.

Name:	DSC04131.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	212246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04132.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	212247

Name:	DSC04137.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	212248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04134.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	212249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04191.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	212250

one of the reasons i'm diving into casting-coating is , we are not allowed to shoot casts at the games OR in indoor ranges , BUT a coated bullet is ok. so since a coated bullet is pretty much the same as a jacketed in the sens no lead is exposed and the coating won't separate out the barrel before hiting steel, coated or PC's meets the requirement. i'm about to order some 92-6-2 lead so i can build some harder rounds for the game.
    Last edited by glockfan; 01-20-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Boolit Master
    Rich. Have a look for "glockthumb" on ebay or the glockstore.

GF... Mate what make is the weakhand thumbrest on your toys.

I run the glockthumb to give the 1911 grip. I have removed it from the right side to get the gun to fit in the stock box.

At 57, my eyes are not great for iron sights.
    My current open Div racegun.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Rich. Have a look for "glockthumb" on ebay or the glockstore.

GF... Mate what make is the weakhand thumbrest on your toys.

I run the glockthumb to give the 1911 grip. I have removed it from the right side to get the gun to fit in the stock box.

At 57, my eyes are not great for iron sights.
    My current open Div racegun.
    pffft... your trubor is awesome ; the dvc limited has been on my radar for awhile. a good and less costy alternative to a full stainless SV. what a nice piece really. might shoot like a dream.

however, i'm pleased with my 35 which is my main ; i'm getting a 2.1lbs trigger after some work on the zev ultimate trigger kit.not bad. i also added the taylor freelance heavy base pads (brass) which added some more weight down the grip.

as for the brass toni system frame weight and the 3D thumb rest,well, that was the last bit needed to get the gun's balance very close to those nice 2011's.

i occasionally use my tactical sport in 40 for outdoor games....but i'm a glockfan in and out,and the way my guns are right now,i prefer my glocks 35 and 22 for the games.

Are you guys trying to turn this into a Glock lovefest thread???

Glockfan, I got the same results with ZG recently. My batch was pretty old so I thinned it down a bit (but obviously not enough) and the first coating was too thick and looked like yours (200*C @11 mins). I threw it out and mixed a new batch and all was ok. So yeah, your coatings are way too thick. I don't use a syringe, just give a squirt into the bucket, but I've learned how to judge it well enough that it works. I've found that 10 mins. in my small oven is the minimum time needed and to do it any quicker will require a decent setup like Trev's, with good air circulation and quick heating.

As for what it looks like when it's settled out, don't worry, that's normal.

Glockfan
    Hamilton Beach oven is probably not the problem. Don't know which model you have but mine will handle maximum of two trays with five pounds each tray. If you've got the temp controlled it will do what you want.

Concur with others coating too thick, first coat. That will make a smash test fail.

Keep working on it you will get it. And they will give you the accuracy you want.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Glockfan
    Hamilton Beach oven is probably not the problem. Don't know which model you have but mine will handle maximum of two trays with five pounds each tray. If you've got the temp controlled it will do what you want.

Concur with others coating too thick, first coat. That will make a smash test fail.

Keep working on it you will get it. And they will give you the accuracy you want.
    DIKMAN , GRMPS and AVENGER 442. thanks for enlighting me about my set up which i'M not confident about at all. now you tell me, i know now that it's probably the way i'm working my mix who is more likely the culprit.

you're raising the question i was about to ask to you guys, since you're much more experienced casters than me : do i have to expect A LITTLE LESS ACURACY than the commercial zero's i was using before ?

i mean...with the zero's i was using for bullseye and at the games, i was able to keep my groupings very very tight, on good days a ragged hole at typical distances . can i expect the same consistency from my coated bullets?

keep in mind i'm totally new to casting and i don't feel that much secure about the results i can ***dream of****.

however, i got couple syringes in an attempt at repeatedly inject the same amount of mixture every times i'm cooking...i guess that the next thing for me to master correctly is the baking process.....i'm tempted by getting a used pizza oven....or something more suited to boolit coating....meaning an oven who would facilitate this cruicial part of the process.

i'd really like to master the hi tek thing because the way i see it,hi tek is more a solid stain than a polymeric ''capsule''' like PC seems to be.hi tek shouldn't add to the circumference of a boolit,while adding some BHN to the round.i'm using wheel weights right now which normally displays 8 to 10 BHN which is a little low from my point of view. i'd like to reach a solid 15 to 18 BHN,and i guess that quenching right after casting and then hi tek might gets me a 12-13 BHN......i know that if i need to get more hardness, some 92-6-2 should maybe land on my ''menu'''.
    Last edited by glockfan; 01-21-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    This is the group shot by Dave M. he won the 2016 Australian IPSC nationals championship.
    He admits that he is not a group shooter, but was impressed with the accuracy of my 125gn SWC out of his SV racegun.

This is shot at 25 yards.

This is my 25yard group from my STI Trubor. using 125gn Conicals
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

^^^^

interesting.....while of course i see 11 shots on the target pictured with the SV open gun. i'm wondering what a 5 shot groups may look at that distance. typical distances at the indoor match range from 7 to 25 yards. at 10-15 the inherent accuracy of a round isn't that crucial. but at 25, it's easy to get a delta on the follow shot if the batch of ammo used isn't consistent.

my no 1 fear with casting is having to deal with rounds that doesn't weight the same. i got a lyman 4500lubri sizer that i'm confident will provide a consistent bullet shape-circumference ,but the weight...i know it depends on many factors related to the lead used,and maintaining a steady temp of the melter all across the casting session.

Boolit Master
    Most molds will throw within .5gn from cavity to cavity.

But the molds from Accuratemolds.com have less than .3gn.
    Drop Tom an email at accuratemolds.com.
    I have hand casting molds and machine casting molds from him in Ali and they are brilliant. And he will make them with no lube groove. Perfect for Hitek coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

No point quenching for hardness and then coating as the heat in the oven will likely remove any additional hardness you gained. If you need a specific hardness then you will have to use an alloy that will give you this. If anything, using Hi-Tek should enable you to get more consistent results shooting as there will be no possible buildup of lead/lube in the barrel to affect subsequent shots. As for sizing, I use two coats and then size, that way I end up with the boolit size I want.

As for the oven, if it's a smallish toaster-size oven try just using the centre rack position only. Putting them too close to an element (at the top or bottom) may cause uneven heating. You may have to experiment a little to find out what works best.

Boolit Master
    My benchtop convection oven.
    This one will bake 1 tray of 250 bullets in 12 minutes. I use the middle tray and turn the tray 90deg at the 1/2 way time point.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 473 of 742 FirstFirst ... 373423463464465466467468469470471472473474475476477478479480481482483523573 ... LastLast