PBcastcoTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    I think mine is the B&D. I paid $59 for it. Has been working great for over a year. It is the large model.

Boolit Master
    Check out used appliance dealers, I bought a used full size built in convection oven for $75.00 and have been using it for about 2 years with out any problems and can bake 10 to 12 pounds of bullets in 12 min at 400 deg, also get a digital thermometer with a K type probe to check the actual oven temp.

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    Check out used appliance dealers, I bought a used full size built in convection oven for $75.00 and have been using it for about 2 years with out any problems and can bake 10 to 12 pounds of bullets in 12 min at 400 deg, also get a digital thermometer with a K type probe to check the actual oven temp.
    Might have better luck with small private owned dealers then big box stores, most appliance dealers haul away old stoves (and other appliances) when they deliver a new one, the old unit's go to scrap yards. Big box stores aren't likely to sell the old units, they don't want people to have access to cheap used unit's, they want to sell you a new one. A smaller private own dealer would be more likely to get rid of a old unit especially if you tell them what you'll be using it for and they understand it wouldn't be hurting their sales of a new one, who would buy a new stove just for baking lead bullets? Also, you'd be saving them from hauling one less unit to the scrap yard.

Last week I finally found a decent convection counter top oven for $10 at a goodwill store, it's one of the older B&D's models that walmart sells --> https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-DEC...6335S/21582275 It took me six months of hitting all the goodwill stores to score one but they do pop up now and then and you have to jump on them before someone else does. I could have increased my chances of finding one but I don't make special trips to the goodwill stores, I make it a point to hit them when I'm in the area. Same goes for pewter hunting at the goodwill's, other's are out there looking for the same thing's, timing and karma is everything.

It would also be worth while to keep an eye on craig's list and some of the other post it for sale web sites, shop from home. If I had been quick enough I could have scored a new in the box stove vent hood off craig's list for $20 in July, I missed it by a day. It was a cheap basic unit but the price was right and it would have done the job for casting and baking bullets.

Last thought, black friday is almost on us, sign up for email alerts NOW with any place that sells these ovens. I'm already getting black friday preview ads, If I see a deal on one I'll post a heads up here.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    I need some recommendations on convection ovens. I have gone through three in the last three years. I know you generally get what you pay for but right now I am strapped for money after going through a divorce. I will be looking at wal-mart. Anybody had good luck with any particular brand? Before this divorce happened that last two ovens were wal mart but supposed to be good quality. Oster and Hamilton Beach. I am beginning to think you might has well buy the lowest price convection oven you can find. I can buy two Black & Decker convection ovens for what I paid for the Oster. Beginning to think it is a roll of the dice. There is a five year warranty on the Oster but they won't honor it because I am using it for coating bullets.
    If it is not holding temp, the so called "thermostat" is rooted.
    I have had 3 ovens go like this. I bought $5 300 Deg C Bulb/capillary thermostats from eBay. Opened the oven up and mounted the new one where the old one was. Drill a few mounting holes and they are working fine after 2 years.
    Remove the rotissery motor and run the bulb/ capillary in through the same hole and seal with silicone.

Last edited by Ausglock; 11-04-2017 at 03:11 AM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys! Ausglock,thanks for taking the time to post the photos.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Banned
    For the guys down under

Boolit Master
    Not much of a fishing buddy!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    For the guys down under
    A Roo's equivalent of Eastwood's "get off my lawn"

Boolit Master
    Bloody Roos are a menace.
    I have about 40 of them hanging around my place.
    Came home from work and there were 5 of them lying under the awning of the carport where I park my Ute (truck to you lot).
    They didn't want to move either.
    In Summer, I put dishes of water around the yard so they can drink. They like to lay in the shade of my shed.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Bloody Roos are a menace.
    I have about 40 of them hanging around my place.
    Came home from work and there were 5 of them lying under the awning of the carport where I park my Ute (truck to you lot).
    They didn't want to move either.
    In Summer, I put dishes of water around the yard so they can drink. They like to lay in the shade of my shed.
    Do they bother people much? I'd worry about having them around kids. Other then that I think it kind of neat to have roo's in your yard, guess they could be a pain in the rear but the only roo's around here are stuck in a zoo, I feel bad for them being caged and not free to roam.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    Do they bother people much? I'd worry about having them around kids. Other then that I think it kind of neat to have roo's in your yard, guess they could be a pain in the rear but the only roo's around here are stuck in a zoo, I feel bad for them being caged and not free to roam.
    They are kind of like deer for NA. Our wives think deer are so cute, us guys think they are a pain cause they jump in front of cars all the time...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Banned
    My truck got run into by a mule deer, on a highway during a vacation. It caved in the left side of my truck, caught on my bumper and got flipped off the right side of the road. Luckilly the back suicide door still worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    My truck got run into by a mule deer, on a highway during a vacation. It caved in the left side of my truck, caught on my bumper and got flipped off the right side of the road. Luckilly the back suicide door still worked.
    My first car Mom and Dad bought for me, shortly after I had a doe run right into the left rear door and caved it in, it knocked her on her down but she got up and ran off. All I saw was a flash out of the corner of my eye and BAM. The next day Dad asked me how I smashed up the car, when I told him he had a hard time believing me, of course I was a bit of a hell raiser so......

Boolit Master
    The Big Buck roos can get aggressive, but the Doe's are fairly quiet.
    We have an orphaned baby roo here at the moment that comes up to you.
    They wake you up when they are grunting, fighting or rooting just outside the bedroom window of a night.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

We have so many deer where I live that the insurance company I deal with has what they call "deer insurance". It's not unusual to see them dead on the side of the road from running out in traffic.

One of the worst wrecked cars I have ever seen hit a big eight point buck. An almost new Cadillac. Hit the deer with the front end. And that looked like they hit a telephone pole. The deer bounced across the hood, got the windshield, roof and trunk on the way back. Because of the impact the driver lost control and flipped it into a ditch. Basically destroying the rest of the sheet metal and glass. There were a couple of other cars stopped at the wreck so I just stopped to ask if there was anyone hurt. The driver didn't have a scratch on her but looked like she was going to throw up at any moment.

Bet one of those guys has the antlers mounted and hanging in his basement right now.

But white tail deer have got to be one of the smartest animals around. When the season starts you have a lot of trouble finding Bambi. They have built in calendars. About mid October till the first of January they almost disappear. Middle of the summer last year there was a group of ten or so hanging out in the field across from my house. Watched me as I drove by. So why can't they learn how or when to cross the road?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Banned
    Here we are allowed to salvage fresh road kill for culinary purposes.

Trevor
    Do you guys eat roo over there?

Slide and I are working on something as a comparison HT to PC in my .308 rifle. I've got about two weeks before I can shoot them so will try to do a "FOX News" unbiased report then. Going to try and keep everything close to the same on both bullets so it will not be apples to oranges. Will check speeds, SD and accuracy. Plan is to load 25 of each. Which will give me five groups of five for each. If anyone comes up with anything else to check put it here and I will try to do it, too.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Avenger442;4206859]Trevor
    Do you guys eat roo over there?

Hi Avenger,
    I tried Roo meat in a restaurant up in Queensland. It arrived on my plate, still kicking raw.
    I was told that this is best way to eat this stuff. I could not get myself to eat it so raw. I asked that my meat be cooked a little more. They did that for me. When I tried to eat it, I would have needed steel teeth to grind the meat. It was like old boot leather, and had a strange odour. It really turned me off the stuff. Some people swear by Roo meat and eat it very rare, as it is claimed as being very high in protein and very low in fat. It is supposedly/allegedly very good for you. But for me, sorry, but cant face it. That experience really did not convince me to eat such healthy food.
    I did eat Crocodile, and was very tasty. The meat came from commercial Crocodile farm where they were raising them for skin export to France and other places. The Crocks were being fed Chicken carcasses and not commercially used other Chicken parts. We were there at the time when a truck load was delivered to the farm. Most interesting.

Boolit Master
    Roo rib fillet marinated in red wine is bloody nice.
    Roo tail soup is good.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

There are a lot of people here that will not eat deer meat. Because they live in the wild, and it is basically against the law to have as live stock for commercial meat where I live, their meat often has what we call a wild flavor to it. It can be marinated, like Trevor mentioned with roo, to remove much of that wild flavor. A friend of ours does roast marinated in a homemade concoction that I have the recipe for somewhere. The loin is especially good cooked over an open fire with hickory wood. Good camp meat. I personally do not have a problem with that flavor and my taste buds. But my wife says I will eat anything that doesn't eat me first.

I've never had it but sounds like croc meat is like our alligator meat. I have tried it several times. I've eaten snake, frog, turtle, snail and several other things not found on menus in most of our restaurants. Liked the frog and alligator best out of these.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 11-18-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Page 463 of 742 FirstFirst ... 363413453454455456457458459460461462463464465466467468469470471472473513563 ... LastLast