RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
PBcastco Wideners

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    I mix mine in 60ml batches which is about enough to do two coats on 1500 .380 boolits with a little left over. I coated 2500 today in three different colors. The greens are the most sensitive to higher heat and longer cook times. It appears that the metal flake type colors are the ones that seem to jell up a little.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone else experienced bullets being really hard to size with 2 coats but fine with 1 coat?

I thought it was my sizing die but I tried sizing a batch that only had 1 coat on them today. 1 coat seems fine. Bullets with 2 coats can be really hard to size and often the lead is smeared down past the base into a small skirt.

I'm going to try and do a 2nd coat on the sized single coated bullets tonight and see how it goes.

Boolit Master
    Dan. Give Joe a call and get the sizing Lube. It is bloody brilliant.
    You using the Lee push through sizer die?
    Polish the guts of it with mothers polish.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    Trevor, how do you keep the sizing lube from plugging up the tip of the spray bottle??
    When I coat I do bigger batches so I don't coat that often.
    I bought 2 bottles from Donnie and they are both plugged tighter than a ...

Cheers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Trevor, how do you keep the sizing lube from plugging up the tip of the spray bottle??
    When I coat I do bigger batches so I don't coat that often.
    I bought 2 bottles from Donnie and they are both plugged tighter than a ...

Cheers
    If they are plugging, you are mixing it too strong.

You can take the nozzle out and rinse under running water.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah it's a lee sizing die.

I polished it when I was trying to sort out the coating problems.

I think I might stick with sizing after the 1st coat. The results are way better and it's easier on my arm.

Before nearly every 2nd bullet would be really hard to size and would develop a lead skirt. Some of the coating would thin out and flake even though it passed the tests.

I just sized 40lbs and only had 2 that were hard to size.

These were coated and cooked in the same way. 2 coats then size on the left. 1 coat, size, 2nd coat, size on the right. Both sides were done today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171004_193109.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	205168

Boolit Master
    I size on a Star sizer and use the Aqua lube 5000, this helps with hard sizing. Some times when I hit a bullet that is really hard to size I find that it is over size from the bullet mold not getting closed all the way.

Boolit Buddy
    My question is what size do those boolits drop out at and how far down are you sizing them? I also use the Aqua Lube 5000 before sizing and it aids tremendously. I usually size after the second coat and if necessary coat a third time. I size my 147g for 9mm at .356 and my .380 95g at .357.

Boolit Buddy
    I only have cheap verniers. Im getting .358 before and .355 after. My lee sizing die is labelled .356. It could be more accurate than my verniers.

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    I only have cheap verniers. Im getting .358 before and .355 after. My lee sizing die is labelled .356. It could be more accurate than my verniers.
    You can't reload quality ammo without having a way to measure accurately, I'd stop casting and reloading until you get a good set of calipers. I have a Brown and Sharpe
    https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Sharpe-.../dp/B0002FTZL8 and I have a few cheaper digital, but if you go cheaper you MUST check them and often, I even check my B&S often, the cheap digital I check EVERY time I use them, only takes seconds. Pick a couple gages and keep them with the calipers, drop down menu on this page to pick the size you want, your choice, say maybe a .250 and a .750, use both so your check more then one size, more then one spot on the calipers. https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-Gage-.../dp/B0006JCB2U DO NOT use bullets for gages, even jacketed are too soft and can get dinged and worn, spend $10 on good gages meant for the job. My 2 cents.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Not necessarily!! Lee sizing dies have been known to be off. I've had to enlarge some and send some back (it's a lot harder to shrink a hole)

I prefer a Starrett micrometer for checking the diameter and a caliper for lengths.
    That's just me, everyone has their own preferences.

Boolit Buddy
    Not necessarily!! Lee sizing dies have been known to be off. I've had to enlarge some and send some back (it's a lot harder to shrink a hole)

I prefer a Starrett micrometer for checking the diameter and a caliper for lengths.
    I figure the 135's i have shot out of this gun using the same sizer worked well so I am ok.

Now that I finally have the coating sorted I will load some up and test for accuracy on the weekend.

I have Starrett's from 1 to 5 inches, I used them when I was twisting wrenches for rebuilding engines and transmissions, back when we use to rebuild just about everything, now it's pull and replace. It's the test gages that came with those mic's that I use for checking my calipers. I'd sell the mics if anyone could use them, I don't use them anymore.

Boolit Master
    Starrett's or Mitutoyo are what I use for Verniers and Micrometers.
    MX micrometers are good quality for a cheapie. Non digital...old school.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Starrett's or Mitutoyo are what I use for Verniers and Micrometers.
    MX micrometers are good quality for a cheapie. Non digital...old school.
    Yeah, holding a mic, twisting the drum between your thumb and finger with just the right "feel" is satisfying. I shun the mics that have the cheater friction thimble on the end, Dad was a tool and die maker and taught me as a wee lad how to use a mic correctly, he wouldn't let me use the cheater, said you have to learn "the feel". We would pick random things to measure, I would measure, read the dial then he would check to see if I was right. I will say, digital calipers are quick and easy, especially for someone using them for the first time, I confess I use digital on my reloading bench, don't know what Dad would have said about that, well that's a lie, I do know LoL. I like calipers for reloading because I can measure down the neck of a loaded round from the crimp on down, can't get that pinpoint of a small area of a measurement with a mic. I know mics tend to give you a more accurate reading in a lot of cases, but for reloading "I" don't need to split hairs that close, but then again I'm not a bench rest shooter turning necks and trying to get each shot in the same hole.

Boolit Buddy
    Can the Aqualube be used to size between the first and second coat? I have some I was planning on using, but didn't know if I should wait until after the second coat to use it to prevent contaminating anything

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    Can the Aqualube be used to size between the first and second coat? I have some I was planning on using, but didn't know if I should wait until after the second coat to use it to prevent contaminating anything
    Yes, Aqualube was made for that purpose and is the only lube (that I know of) that can be used between coats of Hi-Tek.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    The Dark Green metallic, is attached. It is similar to Dark Green, but has a Pearl appearance.

Attachment 205028

Attachment 205029
    I'm really liking the look of that compared to my 'zombie green'. I have so much powder already but I'll probably get some new colors to try as well. I like the gunmetal version too.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Just my two cents worth with settling matters, when the coating mixture has been made up ready for coating, letting it sit for extended periods can cause settling and compacting of ingredients, as well as loss of solvent.
    The product should work OK but it is better when sediment is totally re-mixed in again, even if you need to add a little solvent to compensate for evaporation losses.
    Mixtures are reasonably stable aside from sedimentation, and viscosity and colour may darken somewhat, and changes will depend on period of storage.
    My results, I tried leaving it in hair salon type plastic dye bottles. The solvent completely evaporated and left me with a solid mass. I just tossed the bottles out and made fresh ones and it is back to the proper color. I'll stick to mixing up small batches from now on.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Man
    Jumping back into the thread again after about 100 pages. Failed the smash test for the first time yesterday. I've overcoated boolits while I was learning and increased their diameter by .008", and they still passed the smash. My most recent batch is the best one I've ever done as far as looks go, actually followed the directions this time, thought I was golden. Whacked three of them with a hammer, got this all three times

Where did I go wrong? This is getting frustrating.

10 grams of powder, 1.75oz of acetone, 100 boolits at a time, plenty of dry time, 390 degrees for 9 minutes.

Page 460 of 742 FirstFirst ... 360410450451452453454455456457458459460461462463464465466467468469470510560 ... LastLast