Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
PBcastco Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't tested them for hardness but so far I have had good luck in 9mm and 357 sig in minor using a 135 grain round nose.

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I don't even know where I could source proper lead down here, the internet doesn't give me anyone a place up north. Paying for lead would reduce my eagerness to cast.

Sizing from 358 to 356. Maybe the handle casting wasn't great, it broke off near the ball.
    Last edited by dansedgli; 09-05-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I did a couple of hundred SAECO 160 Gr 0.285 for a mate to run out of his 7 Rem. Mag. Used 5gr ams of powder to 25 ml of acetone.3 coats.
    Came out a treat. Passed acetone rub and smash test. Gas checked and sized them after the first coat. Not a scratch.
    Now we wait for range reports this weekend. He's looking at 2000fps with his alloy of 18-20 BHN
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Dan. Range scrap can vary hugely.
    I used to do it here and would get average hadness of 10BHN.
    Fine for 45 and 38 target loads.
    But too soft for 9mm, 40, 357Sig 38 Super etc etc.
    I think a lot of that has to do with your barrel because I have ran 9X25 dillon loads over 2000fps with range scrap and not got any leading.
    Used 3 coats of Candy Apple Red, and a H&G S55 mold sized 357, in a KKM .355 barrel Wilson/Nowlin ramp and Longshot powder.
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

Boolit Buddy
    I did find that my barrel is easier to clean then my last. Is an svi aet one.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    I haven't tested them for hardness but so far I have had good luck in 9mm and 357 sig in minor using a 135 grain round nose.

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I don't even know where I could source proper lead down here, the internet doesn't give me anyone a place up north. Paying for lead would reduce my eagerness to cast.

Sizing from 358 to 356. Maybe the handle casting wasn't great, it broke off near the ball.
    What powder are you using? I had leading issues with hitek coated 10bhn range lead & titegroup, but no leading with WST. This is with NOE 9mm 358-155 TC Elco.

Boolit Master
    AP-70 or AP-100 in OZ are the most popular powders for handgun reloading.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Dan, if the coating is done correctly and you can scrape it off with a fingernail what you're probably doing is taking off a fine sliver of the lead itself as well, easy enough to do if the alloy isn't hard. I use recovered pistol range scrap and have "discovered" this. As long as it passes the smash test that's all I worry about. As for sizing, I bought a Lee Classic clone press (made in Italy) and did a bit of modifying so that I could get the leverage I wanted. I was sizing after the first coat, but last time I sized after the two coats that I use 'cos then I can apply a bit of lube and don't have to worry about it affecting subsequent coats.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks mate im sure the coating was not right when it was scraping off. I can barely mark the lead with fingernail.

The latest coats are much better. Im going to load up tonight and shoot them tomorrow hopefully.

Any tips on powder charge using ap100 and the 168s Trev? I was going to start at 6 grains.

Boolit Master
    in 357Sig.
    6.4gn AP-100
    1.170"OAL
    About 177 Power factor out of Edge.
    Use a good heavy crimp.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks mate.

Did ~ 150 165gr for 40sw yesterday, old liquid green. 1st coat dried overnite then 15 min in 135F oven, 12 min 400F bake. 2nd coat just dried in oven & cooked the same. Passed wipe & smash OK but lost a few when sizing - H2O used for lube - don't want to gunk up the sizer. Drops 404 & sized are 402. Brown color, not green but I really don't care about the color. Same process I did a few years back when I first started with HiTek - finally shot up all the old stock. This alloy is not soft but <1% Sb. I just topped off with a coat of BLL for insurance. I tumbled with the lid off and 1 ml/#. IMHO the remains in the jug and any coated dirt gives a rough surface the scrapes off when sizing.
    Edit: shot the 40 today, good accuracy and no leading with cu/Zn/sb alloy.
    Last edited by popper; 09-07-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    I live in Kansas where the climate can vary from 30% humidity to 90% day-to-day throughout the summer (or worse if we get rain), and from 110F in the summer to single digits in the winter. I coat all year round in a shed that has more holes than walls. I coat my bullets then dump them on a tray and warm them with the heat gun for maybe 30 seconds, probably less. They sit in front of the fan for the remaining time before the previous batch comes out (I don't bother with the fan at all if it's the first tray to go in). So between trays my bullets are cooled, coated, and heated with the heat gun usually right at the 5 minute mark. I twiddle my thumbs for the remaining 5 minutes and then laser thermometer the bullets already in the oven to confirm they are somewhere between 375F and 400F. They always are so they come out at 10 minutes, the previously prepared tray goes immediately in. So basically I use the 10 minutes between trays to prepare the next tray with time to spare by using a heat gun. Perfect results every time. And I mentioned before, I use a diluted mix compared to the instructions just because I like the extra time for tumbling and I like to dump them just before they start to tack up too much.

Well my first casting session went well but I went to the range today and shot my first boolits and I had MAJOR leading. Within 6 or so rounds the last half of the barrel was completely leaded. The boolits was miha MP 147gr round nose flat base .359
    I cast the boolits out of water quenched COWW and coated with 2 coats hi tek black 1035 passed both tests
    One thing I noticed was the single lube grove was not coated it was still bare lead is that normal?

I sized to .356 and .357 and both leaded.
    I flared the cases pretty good and I don't think it was scraping the coating on the base when seating but the lube groove is pretty sharp and could have been scraping some on the top side of the lube groove possibly?
    I did use a lee FCD
    I will pull some here shortly and see if it was sizing them down with the FCD

Any help would be appreciated cause im a casting noob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGA View Post
    Well my first casting session went well but I went to the range today and shot my first boolits and I had MAJOR leading. Within 6 or so rounds the last half of the barrel was completely leaded. The boolits was miha MP 147gr round nose flat base .359
    I cast the boolits out of water quenched COWW and coated with 2 coats hi tek black 1035 passed both tests
    One thing I noticed was the single lube grove was not coated it was still bare lead is that normal?

I sized to .356 and .357 and both leaded.
    I flared the cases pretty good and I don't think it was scraping the coating on the base when seating but the lube groove is pretty sharp and could have been scraping some on the top side of the lube groove possibly?
    I did use a lee FCD
    I will pull some here shortly and see if it was sizing them down with the FCD

Any help would be appreciated cause im a casting noob
    Lube groove can be bare lead and will not cause any leading. All mine have no coating in lube groove. If you do, you are using too much coating and too thick.
    Wheel weight alloy causes more failures than anything else. I hate the stuff.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Lube groove can be bare lead and will not cause any leading. All mine have no coating in lube groove. If you do, you are using too much coating and too thick.
    Wheel weight alloy causes more failures than anything else. I hate the stuff.
    Really? Wow I did not know that!
    What do you like to use Trevor?
    Do you think range scrap would be a little better?
    Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    Really? Wow I did not know that!
    What do you like to use Trevor?
    Do you think range scrap would be a little better?
    Thanks!
    What powder were you using? I had leading with titegroup, but not with WST. Same power factor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by meotai View Post
    What powder were you using? I had leading with titegroup, but not with WST. Same power factor.
    I was using titegroup
    Here is a pic of a few I pulled
    I made some dummy rounds without the Lee FCD and just barely taking the flare back out but apparently just seating them is sizing the bases down to .352-.354. I am having to seat that deep to pass the plunk test

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	203575

Boolit Bub
    I was using titegroup
    I made some dummy rounds without the Lee FCD and just barely taking the flare back out but apparently just seating them is sizing the bases down to .352-.354. I am having to seat that deep to pass the plunk test

You can try this.
    http://leeprecision.com/pm-expan-plg-38-s-w.html

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...in-9mm-die-mod

But then you may run into chambering issues with some 9mm barrels. It works fine for me cause I'm running a stock glock 17 barrel.

Boolit Master
    I was using titegroup

Bugger. That is the issue with long, heavy bullets in 9mm with a softer alloy.
    Gotta remember... the 9mm is a tapered case. it gets smaller inside, the closer you get to the head..
    I only use Hardball alloy 2,6,92 16BHN
    Range scrap can vary a great deal in hardness. It depends on hw many .22 soft bullets get melted with the centrefire lead bullets.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 456 of 742 FirstFirst ... 356406446447448449450451452453454455456457458459460461462463464465466506556 ... LastLast