Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Went to Arizona once. It is so dry there that it must be the perfect place to dry your bullets. Any of you guys live in Arizona?
    Yes it is dry here for most of the time. I have started using the denatured alcohol trick to give me some more time to swirl and get the bullets spread out before they dry up. It is not always dry here in SE AZ though, we are just finishing up our monsoon season where the humidity gets in the 90's along with the high temperatures and that keeps doing outside things to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Dan. You got a fan/heater? $15 at Bunnings. sit the tray in front of it for 5 minutes to warm them up.
    You need to move up here to the warmer climate, mate.
    Get out of Mexico.
    Do you mean before you apply the coating? I assume this helps prevent moisture getting trapped when drying?

Banned
    I've only heated the boolits after they were coated and fan dried. In my area, I place an oven rack on top of my countertop convection oven and set the tray with dry boolits on that for 1 bake cycle (12 min @ 400) before putting in the oven.

Grmps, good to see you keep a neat and tidy bench too . I need another bench just so that I can find room to do things!

Boolit Master
    Hahaha... Fuggen love the timer stuck to the vice.
    Looks like my bench.
    You can use the fan/heater to warm the bullets before coating.
    But I use it to warm them after coating and before baking.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I have over done the warming of the bullets before coating and ended up with to much coating on the first coat. I find that when the ambient changes I have to adjust the process a little.

Putting the coated bullets out in full sunshine for 30 min or more really insures the drying process is complete.

dikman
    It doesn't work to add another bench. After a few months they look just the same. Junked up. I am lucky enough to have room for four and only one is not junked up. That is because i forced myself to clean and put everything up on that one. We moved our Granddaughter into our spare bedroom so she could go to college near here. It was our junk room. Guess where all my stuff from the junk room went. Wish I could post photo of the actual loading bench. It looks almost like Grmps' One of these days I'm going to get organized
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

dikman
    One of these days I'm going to get organized
    Funny, I keep saying that too.

Boolit Master

Coated some 9mm and some 44 I had laying around.
    Cast some cool "collar buttons" from a modified .457 RB mould I snagged on castboolits forum.
    They weight about 163 grains and will be loaded in 45/70 cases with a pinch of bullseye.

Hi Tek is great

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your help guys. I think I have this worked out now.

I've changed my mix to 120mls acetone, 20 grams of powder. 5mls of mix per 2kgs of bullets. I cleaned my tumbling container as I think it was adding more mix making it too thick. Fan dried for a few hours then warmed up on the oven for 12 minutes before baking. I also polished by sizing die. I'm getting good results from the first coat now. Very difficult to scrape off using my fingernail and passes the smash and acetone tests fine. Ill load some up this week and shoot them on the weekend. Now I need to sort out a faster sizing solution.

Spangler
    What are you shooting the 45-70 out of?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Spangler
    What are you shooting the 45-70 out of?

I have an 1895 Marlin but lately I've been doing all my 45/70 shooting with a Pedersoli Sharps.
    It should sound like a pop gun out of that LOOOONG barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Thanks for your help guys. I think I have this worked out now.

I've changed my mix to 120mls acetone, 20 grams of powder. 5mls of mix per 2kgs of bullets. I cleaned my tumbling container as I think it was adding more mix making it too thick. Fan dried for a few hours then warmed up on the oven for 12 minutes before baking. I also polished by sizing die. I'm getting good results from the first coat now. Very difficult to scrape off using my fingernail and passes the smash and acetone tests fine. Ill load some up this week and shoot them on the weekend. Now I need to sort out a faster sizing solution.
    dansedgli

You can use a more diluted first coat. I have heard people who used 20g powder to 200mls Acetone and use same volume to coat.
    It is only first coat that is required to be well bonded to metal. It does not matter what first coat looks like. This dries quickly, and has less chance to trap moisture.
    Cold conditions are never good to dry any thing. you must adapt to climate changes.

With cleaning out your coating container, this is a NO NO. It is a waste of materials.
    All you have to do, is add a little Acetone only, and uncoated cast to mixing/coating container, and shake coat with residue in container that has built up.
    This can be considered as your first coat.
    You can re-dissolve or recycle this coating as many times as you want until you bake it. Once you bake it, it cant be recycled.
    I don't know what it is, with trying to scrape coating off with finger nails????
    What is this test????
    If coating passes smash test and wont wipe off with solvent, why would you try to scratch it off with finger nails?
    I just don't understand this.

Boolit Buddy
    It was mentioned in this thread at one point. I only mention it because I've got some blackwidows here from John that can't be scratched and my ones that I could scratch didn't fare well through my sizing die.

They didn't seem too bad when hitting with a hammer first.

Boolit Master

It was mentioned in this thread at one point. I only mention it because I've got some blackwidows here from John that can't be scratched and my ones that I could scratch didn't fare well through my sizing die.

They didn't seem too bad when hitting with a hammer first.
    If coating can be scratched from alloy with finger nails, it has not been processed correctly.
    There may be some adhesion, but if sizing starts to remove coating, this also confirms, that first coat was not stuck/prepared properly.
    At this point, I have to rule out that sizing die is not smooth inside bearing surfaces.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    dansedgli

You can use a more diluted first coat. I have heard people who used 20g powder to 200mls Acetone and use same volume to coat.
    It is only first coat that is required to be well bonded to metal. It does not matter what first coat looks like. This dries quickly, and has less chance to trap moisture.
    Cold conditions are never good to dry any thing. you must adapt to climate changes.

With cleaning out your coating container, this is a NO NO. It is a waste of materials.
    All you have to do, is add a little Acetone only, and uncoated cast to mixing/coating container, and shake coat with residue in container that has built up.
    This can be considered as your first coat.
    You can re-dissolve or recycle this coating as many times as you want until you bake it. Once you bake it, it cant be recycled.
    I don't know what it is, with trying to scrape coating off with finger nails????
    What is this test????
    If coating passes smash test and wont wipe off with solvent, why would you try to scratch it off with finger nails?
    I just don't understand this.
    I have the same issue like dansedgli. Where it passes the smash & wipe test, but the coating scrapes off easily. Do you think that is okay?

Boolit Master
    Dan. what alloy you using? 2.6.92??
    That is what John would be using. Same as I use.

Range reclaim etc etc is not as hard.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    It's range scrap that I collected from my local pistol club when I bought my 45 last year. Probably 90% blackwidows.

I snapped the handle off my small lee press last night. :/

Learning curves are expensive. Now i know I should use lube if they are hard to press through.

Boolit Master

It's range scrap that I collected from my local pistol club when I bought my 45 last year. Probably 90% blackwidows.

I snapped the handle off my small lee press last night. :/

Learning curves are expensive. Now i know I should use lube if they are hard to press through.
    Have you tested hardness of your alloy? What was it?
    How much reduction in diameter are you trying to achieve during sizing?
    You can use something like Aqualube 5000 in very diluted form to significantly reduce sizing loads.
    Other lubes may work, but may contaminate coated alloy surfaces. Some lubes can end up interfering with coating processes due to cross contamination.

Boolit Master
    Dan. Range scrap can vary hugely.
    I used to do it here and would get average hadness of 10BHN.
    Fine for 45 and 38 target loads.
    But too soft for 9mm, 40, 357Sig 38 Super etc etc.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 455 of 742 FirstFirst ... 355405445446447448449450451452453454455456457458459460461462463464465505555 ... LastLast