Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    Don't want to wander off topic, just a quick question then back to coating chat. Would hi-tek also stick to aluminum? I make these electronic cigarettes "mods" (I'm five years free of cigs and two years a cancer survivor, yay!!) I make these out of diecast aluminum project boxes, openings cut with files then brush finished. It hit me tonight, wonder if hi-tek would work on these?
    benellinut,
    I tried coatings on Aluminium previously. No success. I am almost 99% sure that
    Aluminium and other more reactive metals cause poor adhesion of coatings.
    I am aware, that many coatings that are applied to various Aluminium surfaces are only achieved after Chemical pre-treatment of those metals, some of which are Anodising in acid type baths using speciality in house recipes.

I've been pondering this for some time. The problem I see is how to get the coating on a flat surface (the lid) or on a multi-sided object (the box). Tumbling is unlikely to be very effective and unfortunately it can't be sprayed - one of our club members (a spray painter) tried it and according to him it didn't work. Dipping it and then hanging to drain is the only thing I can think of but I'm not sure how successful that will be.

Just saw Joe's reply. As those boxes are diecast alloy I guess it won't work. How about steel, or stainless steel?

Thanks for the replies guys.

we now take you back to your regular programming already in progress
    Be careful what you wish for!

I don't think the dip method would give a good texture. I'd try the old commercial 'hammertone' finish - hard and in different colors, kinda neat looking. ESPC could work but reject rate could be high. Those would look neat with some 'engine turned' finish on some areas, then clear acrylic. Round pencil eraser in a slow turned drill works.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I think I've got a snag with my Hi-Tek adventures. I cast up another batch of boolits and coated them the same way I did with the previous batch but I'm starting to get leading in my barrels. I've got a post going in the handgun sub forum that details everything I've done so far. I'm at a loss for what else can be causing it, I hope done if you Hi-Tek gurus can shed some light

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...leading-thread

Last edited by asmith80; 08-09-2017 at 12:51 PM.

All my leading from Hi-tec came from too low a bhn of the lead and casts sized wrong for the barrel... 4 years now no lead using Hitec.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    All my leading from Hi-tec came from too low a bhn of the lead and casts sized wrong for the barrel... 4 years now no lead using Hitec.
    How are you doing Gremlin.
    I missed your great inputs.
    Unfortunately, or fortunately, I make coatings, advise on coatings and hopefully pass on some information that may be useful to users.
    However, I may not put my comments in such a way that is accepted as being constructive, and I get hammered for it.
    Great results seem to be ignored, but some seem to focus on a problematic area, and blame the coatings, without providing any other useful information that may shed a light why things go wrong. It is quite disappointing situation.
    These coatings have been on the market for 25 or so years, and work for 99% plus of applications and with many hundreds of thousands of satisfied users.
    I have to admit, some will never be convinced, and I accept that. I never wanted any controversy or conflict about comparing one product against another.
    Hi-Tek

Boolit Buddy
    Seems like I had a couple different issues going on that contributed to the leading, but none of them were because of the Hi-Tek. I'm a happy convert

Boolit Master
    No system is perfect but I'm hard pressed to think of a scenario where conventionally sized and lubed bullets are superior to Hi-Tek.

I'm a total convert. I now order molds that I believe will do well with Hi-Tek. I have no intention of breaking out my old lubrisizers. All my new aquizitions have no lube grooves or if I have no chice, very high bearing surfaces...like the 38-148 WC DBB SGG Magma I got off of eBay. It's all bearing surface with a small, single grease groove.
    [

Attachment 201705 170gr PB with base hiTek dipped, somewhere above 1600 fps with real soft alloy & 2x BLL. Did good till the MG marlin leaded (not too bad though).
    Whatever!

Banned
    I think what Joe is saying, If a boolits size, weight, BHN, and profile shoots without leading lubed, it will do as good if not better with Hi-Tek without the mess.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Attachment 201705 170gr PB with base hiTek dipped, somewhere above 1600 fps with real soft alloy & 2x BLL. Did good till the MG marlin leaded (not too bad though).
    Hi Popper,
    That looks great.
    Did you dip casts into suggested mix to act as a gas check? If not what recipe did you use?
    I find it interesting, that you ended up using soft Lead to get those speeds and accuracy and not have a problem.
    Your experiment seems to support possibility of using softer alloys and get acceptable results.

I am not familiar with MG Marlin. My closest idea is a Marlin the fish....LOL

Base dipped in liquid color/catalyst mix only, no acetone. Lube used was BLL. Had problem with BLL only and SOFT alloy leading on first shots. HiTek is enough to prevent initial base gas cutting that the BLL doesn't get blown off. Micro groove has a very shallow rifling so needs a harder alloy to prevent stripping. I'll use coating on this alloy as ESPC protects the base and is hard enough that stripping doesn't occur. So far PC works good at near top loads in 40sw and 30/30 for really SOFT alloy. Just another trick for the toolbox.
    Anyway, after 30 shots (some were real GC loads) leading was evident but not terrible.
    Whatever!

HI Tek Works for me in everything I want to shoot and the way I want to shoot it.

Joe
    I wouldn't get too discouraged about the complaint to praise ratio. I don't know about you guys over there, but here in the US we seem to tend more toward the complaint rather than the compliment. Guys that are not having a problem just go on using it and don't say much. I'd give my opinion of Craftsman lawn mowers at this point but it would be off topic. Mines broke down for the hundredth time.

Like I said in one of my first post on this thread. I'm going to try it and report back what I find good or bad.

Popper
    I have heard that PC is tough. And your right need all the tools we can get. If I could come up with and reason for a 1800 fps .308 bullet I might go back and visit the no gas check in rifle. I guess if I only had low BHN lead available it might be useful. I do shoot no gas check in my .44 magnum rifle. But that's a bigger bullet with different stresses and pressure.

AbitNutz
    Sometimes I work on a '70 model Olds 442. It sits in the basement waiting on me. I try to keep it looking old school original. I could modify it and make it half again faster, easier to drive, add more stopping power, etc. But to me that ruins what I remember it to be. The grease/wax lubes are still relevant in the sense that they are old school way. It is important for some to keep it like they did it in the early days of shooting. That's one of the reasons muzzle loading is still around. And, unlike Hi Tek or PC, they don't require electricity to apply if done the old way. Something that one day might be important. Like paper patch, the wax/grease keeps the loads old school. I remember someone making a comment about the movie Quigley Down Under a few years ago and how they could see the paper patch on the bullet. How they loved the old school look and appreciated the people making the movie with an original look. I've always wanted one of those old school guns that could accurately shoot 600 yards with a paper patch. But dollars going elsewhere and that gun is bigger bucks than I've got. There will always be a place for old school in guns just like there is one in cars. And there will always be guys making arguments for both sides. And the rest of us in the middle.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 08-12-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Banned
    I concur with Avenger. It is easier to complain when they have made a mistake and blame it on the product than admit they didn't do it right. People are much more likely to complain when they think something went wrong than praise when everything goes right.

It only makes sense that people have been buying and using Hi-Tek for 25+ years because it doesn't work?

Grmps, That is so good, and true......

Boolit Buddy
    Had a good day at the range today probably shot 50+ rounds through my sharps with hitek coated soft lead projies with no leading and held all but one of my scoring shots on the 1000yd target. First time at that distance pretty happy!
    Got my parcel of new hitek colours a couple of weeks ago and used the Texas tea on 3000 of casts. Goes on well and doesnt smell any where near as strong as the red copper does when it is baking? I thought it was odd but much more pleasant than the copper because I have to clear out of the shed when that's baking it's potent! Next to try will be gold!

Boolit Mold
    Cherry showed up, converted some wheel weights into bullets and here we go. First run with the Cherry and basically same results as the black - nice and slick. Probably obvious but these have been sized already. Looks like there is a little metallic in this color? I like it. I'm calling them Iron Man bullets.

BlackCherry_HiTek by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Couple black ones lurking in the container as well.

I'd say the amount of HiTek coated bullets I see on the range at my local 3-gun club says quite a bit about happy customers. Who knows how many bizillion bullets are sold commercially with it vs DIY guys like us.
    Last edited by cityofthesouth; 08-13-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitika View Post
    Had a good day at the range today probably shot 50+ rounds through my sharps with hitek coated soft lead projies with no leading and held all but one of my scoring shots on the 1000yd target. First time at that distance pretty happy!
    Got my parcel of new hitek colours a couple of weeks ago and used the Texas tea on 3000 of casts. Goes on well and doesnt smell any where near as strong as the red copper does when it is baking? I thought it was odd but much more pleasant than the copper because I have to clear out of the shed when that's baking it's potent! Next to try will be gold!
    Your last name isn't Quigley is it?

Which one of the Golds do you have? And would love to see a photo of your rifle. Love those big bullets.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by cityofthesouth View Post
    Cherry showed up, converted some wheel weights into bullets and here we go. First run with the Cherry and basically same results as the black - nice and slick. Probably obvious but these have been sized already. Looks like there is a little metallic in this color? I like it. I'm calling them Iron Man bullets.

BlackCherry_HiTek by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Couple black ones lurking in the container as well.

I'd say the amount of HiTek coated bullets I see on the range at my local 3-gun club says quite a bit about happy customers. Who knows how many bizillion bullets are sold commercially with it vs DIY guys like us.
    You're right those do look like Ironman colors. Maybe we should contact Stark and see if he needs to coat his armor. Might even get it done free for the endorsement.

Page 452 of 742 FirstFirst ... 352402442443444445446447448449450451452453454455456457458459460461462502552 ... LastLast