Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2PBcastco
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Joe, just posted to provide some long term shelf life data. It appears the color particles settle and don't dissolve easily after long term storage but the lube characteristics remain. I mixed this batch in a clear Coke bottle and I can see sediment on the bottom that gets suspended but not dissolved in the mix. I just use acetone, may try adding some MEK next time I coat. I tend to cast large batches & coat for pistol, which I don't shoot much, so long time between coating sessions. Don't think it is a problem for volume coaters.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Joe, just posted to provide some long term shelf life data. It appears the color particles settle and don't dissolve easily after long term storage but the lube characteristics remain. I mixed this batch in a clear Coke bottle and I can see sediment on the bottom that gets suspended but not dissolved in the mix. I just use acetone, may try adding some MEK next time I coat. I tend to cast large batches & coat for pistol, which I don't shoot much, so long time between coating sessions. Don't think it is a problem for volume coaters.
    Thanks much Popper.
    The stuff that settles, will re-suspend, but it takes some effort to mix it all up.
    Many use a couple of cast as mixing aid.
    You can also use a couple of glass marbles that rattle around whilst mixing sediment.
    Lead alloy may be better, as it is very dense and smaller in size, ideal for getting stuff off the bottom.
    You probably coated with mostly resin with small amounts of other ingredients.
    As you rightly pointed out, it still works OK, but colour is not so good.

I use a couple of round balls (for my muzzleloaders) to agitate the mix. Small round fishing sinkers might work better, or several large split shot?

Boolit Master

For all who don't know, it is Ausglocks birthday today.
    As I said to him, he looks great for a 120 year old...lol..lol
    Happy Birthday Trev...

Banned
    Congrats mate, you survived another one

Boolit Master
    Yeah. Thanks. 57 is old enough thanks.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Happy 57th Trevor.
    Can't post my usual birthday cake due to photo posting privileges being revoked.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Cheer's Trevor! I had vision's of you doing some bang and clang in celebration! Hope it was a good day!

My 60th is days away. I just hope after this, everyone forgets and the day just passes quietly.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Buddy
    Have a great day and year, Trev. Here's to many more.
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master
    Thanks, everyone.
    Bit of pew pew pew today. a few 100 rounds through the STI Trubor..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I've had this happen with some mixes. The color portion seems to turn into a thick tar and is really hard to get mixed back in.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

I'm betting evaporation of the solvents is most of the problem, yes there is settling but it's hard to keep some of these fast evaporating solvents once the container is open. Multiple times I've had can's of acetone evaporate bone dry on the shelf once I broke the factory seal even though I've replaced the pry off cap under the screw on cap and cranked it down with pliers. It's even worse when trying to keep it in anything other then a tin can.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Buddy
    I mix mine in small portions but if I have any that looks suspect I just dump it since it's so cheap and easy to mix.

I have had some color changes in mixes that were in the 3 month old and up stored. Some more like six month before change. I have one mix that is close to a year old. Haven't used it lately. But since performance never seem to be affected in any of these finely aged mixes I just, more or less, ignored the color.

If I mix correctly and well (when first mixing or picking up something that has been sitting around a while I shake it for about five minutes), put the coats on thin (a good reason to add solvent to old mixes) and bake long enough at 390-400 F there are no issues with performance. They can be over baked to the point of almost turning black. The mix can be used for a long time after you mix it up. And I don't see any reason the unmixed powder shouldn't keep for years. I have loaded and shot rifle bullets recently that were coated about three years ago with no leading or accuracy changes.

As I have said before, when I started casting I was looking for a lubricant. I read a lot about waxes and greases and cleaning. I looked at powder coating. I even looked at copper plating. Boy that would have been a chore. Like I said I did a lot of reading. Was close to coming up with a decision when I happened up on this site while doing research. This Castboolits site is a treasure trove for the caster and hand loader. There is not much about making and shooting cast bullets that you can't find here. Anyway, I happened on this section "simple Hi-Tek coating". It was all the liquid version back then. It looked relatively simple and is even simpler now with the powders. I ordered some used it and haven't used any other lubricant on any of my cast bullets in rifle or hand guns. Stuff has worked for me since I first started using it. I have had zero issues related to the coating that were of any consequence.

I have the waxes and greases but have never used them. Figure if I get in a situation where I run out of coated and have no electricity then I might need them. Then the other day a see a guy demonstrating a sun stove. Guess what the max temp was; 450 F. I might just start being a true prepper and buy that thing, when the price comes down. By the way, just made my first batch of real pickles, not the refrigerator version. Took eight days of waiting on slices to soak in different mixes of alum, salt, spices and vinegar. After about seven pounds of sugar they have a nice sweet tart taste. Not bad for a first try. Better than my first hand loads.

I was at the range couple of weeks ago shooting some SWC 38 special coated in the Bronze 500 at 25 yard targets. Was practicing both bench and off hand single and double action. When I first got there no one was on the 25 yard range. At about the end of my practice a guy showed up and kept hanging around talking to me. Seemed suspicious at first because he didn't have a gun with him that I could see (one of the few places that might be suspicious to me) and he kept talking to me. Turns out he was waiting on a friend that was going to do some shooting with him. While we were talking he asked me was that my target. I'm not sure if that was in awe of the great groups or a dis on my shooting. Probably the later. Donnie, if you get an order from a new guy in Gadsden, Alabama it's probably him.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 07-17-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    I mix mine in small portions but if I have any that looks suspect I just dump it since it's so cheap and easy to mix.
    I do the same. Compared to some here I only do relatively small batches, every so often, so only mix the minimum amount. Thus far it's been fine, just need to add a bit more acetone occasionally, the colour has darkened slightly but that's no big deal. If I have to throw it out doesn't matter 'cos what I've got powder-wise is going to last me a very long time!

Back when Gunoil started this thread I bet he never dreamed it would grow this big. Almost 9000 post. Wow.

Boolit Mold

Brand new to this stuff followed the directions closely they looked good and passed the wipe test but not the smash test. In the instructions it say if they flake it either baked to hot or to long or was put on to thin, I kinda figured the opposite coating being to thick could cause this flaking. Any advise would be most appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I don't know where you got the instructions.
    you should coat 1 mil solution to 1 lb of bullets, a little lighter on the first coat helps with the adhesion. Your coating looks too thick to me! You are correct, to thick coating will cause flaking
    swirling too long will give you a grainy finish. 15 to 20 seconds works. The bullets must be dumped before the sound changes, it is OK to dump them wet.
    Cooking too long will make the coating darker, it will not affect adhesion.
    You should test you over with 2 oven thermometers set in the middle of the shelf you bake on, adjust the oven dial/temp until the thermometers read 400.
    are you using a toaster oven or convection oven? Convection has a circulating fan and will spread the heat more evenly and allow you to bake larger batches.
    12 min in a convection is a good place to start. If the bullets come out dark and you know the oven is @ 400* cut back to 11 min.
    The coating MUST BE COMPLETELY DRY AFTER EACH COAT BEFORE BAKING. setting the freshly coated bullets in front of a fan speeds up drying. It is also recommended to put a spacer on top of your oven and place the tray of dry coated bullets on it for 11 min the pre warm the bullets and make sure they are dry (I use an oven shelf type grate for the spacer.

You're doing great, if you browse this thread you will see detailed instructions for coating and a link to a video by performance on how to coat.

Welcome to CB forum and welcome to HT coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pd.dangelo3006 View Post

Brand new to this stuff followed the directions closely they looked good and passed the wipe test but not the smash test. In the instructions it say if they flake it either baked to hot or to long or was put on to thin, I kinda figured the opposite coating being to thick could cause this flaking. Any advise would be most appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please refer to the attached coating instructions that you would have been supplied.J&M Coating instructions 200717.pdf

Page 448 of 742 FirstFirst ... 348398438439440441442443444445446447448449450451452453454455456457458498548 ... LastLast