Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0796.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	197533

This is the Burnt Orange

Photos new yellow green and orange.

I want to preface this with I'm not a computer expert. But have spent close to 30 years doing my work with them. Since the new updates to the site I have had problems with posting photos from my computer and cannot post as I did from my computer many times before. I went back to the link about posting help that HATCH gave us read and, I believe, understood what he is saying. That post is correct in that you don't need to quote him on the below 3MB being no problem loading from your computer. All of my latest photos are below that mark none will load from my computer and I would imagine size is not the thing preventing load. I get an error message each time I try. Personal opinion, listing from my computer has become not possible for me at this time. I have a policy, based on recent recommendations of tech. people where I used to work, of not putting things in a cloud storage or off site storage due to the relentless efforts out there to get into those. And it really doesn't have as much to do with the document stored but the back door it starts to provide.

I may go back and look at IrfanView or something like it. I have a program on my older computer running Vista that can be used to modify photos. May see if I can load from there.

Until then you will just have to take my many words (1000) for it. LOL

Back on topic of coating, per HATCH, recommendation. During my last sessions of testing coatings I went to great lengths to measure everything and follow exactly the instructions that Donnie provides with all of his orders of powder. And I would completely recommend it to all of you guys just starting out. Those bullets looked better but, while performing as should, didn't perform any better at the range than usual. In my usual coating session I do measure the mix when combining components I usually don't measure the amount going into the tumble bowl (1 ml/lb recommended). I just squirt what looks right right out of the mixing bottle snap on the lid of the tumbling bowl and tumble. That's right, I usually close tumble. Didn't during last sessions. I don't recommend this either if you are starting out. They both can give you trouble with too thick a first coat and those after. Which can cause the coating to flake. First coat should look like you almost don't have anything on the bullet. Just a light staining. So why do I do it? Well I don't measure when putting coating into the bowl cause I am both impatient and lazy at times and just don't want to. I hate the screwing off the lid of the bottle and sticking that syringe down in the bottle to suck up the coating. I don't like the time it gives the particles in the coating to possibly settle. My idea, probably not what actually happens. I close tumble because I got tired of chasing around the basement those bullets that decided they didn't like being tumbled. Sometimes I put too many in the bowl for reasons previously stated. And I found that closed tumbling will give a little bit longer for the solvent to flash off. Which gives more time for coating to get into groves and hollow points. Not that it matters as far as performance goes.

So what is my point behind the above. Well Slide said something in a previous post about measuring everything and being careful with the process. I think this is necessary if you are just starting out and for some time after also if one of the reasons why you are using the coating is for the color. But this is not as necessary with certain parts of the process if you have had some experience using the product and your really not all that concerned about the color but the performance is the main concern. I have not tried cooking past 30 min. But I don't think at the 400F you can over cook the product. It just turns dark and the performance is not affected as far as I can tell.

I'll let another cat out of the bag. Which I will recommend that you not do at all. I have shot flaky bullets with no lead in the barrel. I had some bullets that I had coated in 2014 that probably had a smash test on the first coat and passed but not on subsequent coats, my lazy impatient self showing again. These were .308s that I had decided to just load up and leave ready should I ever need them. Usually try to keep 100 loaded and ready. I have forgotten exactly how I found out two years later that they were flaking. I think I noticed some small flakes in the bottom of the container they were in and decided to smash test a couple before I loaded them. Both failed, big flakes down to the lead. Coating too thick. So instead of melting down the rest I saw this as a test opportunity, I loaded some. Forget how many probably 10-20 or so. Loading process with lite crimp didn't seem to be causing any flaking. Shot them with my 1 1/2" load for this bullet. I had expected to spend at least an hour with the chore boy and my cleaning rod. But no lead and cleaned up with my usual cleaning process. I have used up almost all of those 308s.

I'm not sure where this product stops forgiving. It obviously does since we have seen people report some lead in the barrel. Some of those may have been firearm related. Just like the comment on not being a computer expert I'm not a coating expert either. But I do like the opportunity to tinker/experiment.

Use the instructions and get those beautiful bullets that Trevor and Donnie are showing you.

Was that a thousand words?
    Last edited by Avenger442; 06-14-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Avenger, not to load the thread with picture software chat, just a quick tip. If you have Microsoft Office installed, click the Windows button lower left of the screen, go to list of your programs, click on Microsoft Office then look for Microsoft Office Tools at the bottom of that list, open that then look for Microsoft Office Picture Manager, you can edit and resize pics with that, it works great. If you have it and need help using it PM me and I'll walk you through it with screen shot photos.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    Avenger, not to load the thread with picture software chat, just a quick tip. If you have Microsoft Office installed, click the Windows button lower left of the screen, go to list of your programs, click on Microsoft Office then look for Microsoft Office Tools at the bottom of that list, open that then look for Microsoft Office Picture Manager, you can edit and resize pics with that, it works great. If you have it and need help using it PM me and I'll walk you through it with screen shot photos.
    Thanks
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    This is my STI Trubor and the Compenstor after firing 250 rounds of 38 Super loaded with 125gn Conicals coated with 2 coats of Kryptonite green. Loads chronoed at 174 power factor.

Name:	STI Trubor 38 Supercomp.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	197602

Name:	Comp trubor.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	197603
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    You, Sir, Are a dead set legend. Just tried the MS Pic manager... works a treat.
    Thanks for the tip..

Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    And if a person doesn't have Microsoft Office?

Boolit Master
    With the hotter weather here now I was starting to get too much coating with my Candy Apple red.
    I went to a 125 ml/20 g mix and cooled the bullets down with a fan before 1st and 2nd coats, this keeps the Acetone from flashing as fast and produced a smoother coating on the bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    And if a person doesn't have Microsoft Office?
    http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Get IrfanView. I've used it for over a decade. Awesome program.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Buddy

Here is a quick and dirty clip of me doing a first coat of the new dark green.

Here is the 2nd coat being applied
    Last edited by Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings; 06-15-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Donnie, I'm signed into forum but get "This video is private" message.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwoode View Post
    Donnie, I'm signed into forum but get "This video is private" message.
    Ok, try again. I think I fixed it.

Boolit Buddy
    Works fine now. Thanks

Banned
    A picture is worth a thousand words, thanks for videos Donnie, I think they will help a lot of people see how simple the coating process is.

The reason Donnie said to tumble/coat the bullets no more than 20 - 25 seconds is you will get grainy bullets. You're supposed to dump them when they are still wet.

1 teaspoon = 5 Milliliters

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    A picture is worth a thousand words, thanks for videos Donnie, I think they will help a lot of people see how simple the coating process is.

The reason Donnie said to tumble/coat the bullets no more than 20 - 25 seconds is you will get grainy bullets. You're supposed to dump them when they are still wet.

I learn something new everyday...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I can't hear the dialog. I clicked on subtitles, and they're in Portuguese!

Boolit Master

I ordered a couple of colors of Hi-Tek I didn't have the other day. The package arrived today and there was a good sized sample of the new dark green. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow. I put the second coat on before I quit for the day and it's an awesome looking color!

Thanks Donnie!
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post

I used a syringe to verify that the measuring spoon I used was indeed 5 ML. I find it easier to use the spoon/dipper in lieu of a syringe, but that's just me.
    The powder should be weighed out as different colors have different volume to weight ratio.

Boolit Master
    Nice Vid, Mate.
    Well done.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Gremlin/Ausglock, there's two of us here in Adelaide coating our own, a third guy in the club tried it but reckons he couldn't get it right (!) so has gone back to powdercoat (I suspect because he makes a solution and sprays it on - he's a spray painter by trade - and couldn't spray the Hi-tek). I don't know of anyone else doing it, but with the amount of ammo we can use in Single Action it just seems logical to "roll our own". Hell, the amount of powder I've got will probably see out my shooting life!!

Donnie, nice videos, didn't occur to me to use a measuring spoon. Like Avenger, I can't be bothered with a syringe and just give it a squirt. Works for me, but I might try the "spoon method", just for the sake of consistency.

Page 444 of 742 FirstFirst ... 344394434435436437438439440441442443444445446447448449450451452453454494544 ... LastLast