Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    So... your oven doesn't have top and bottom heat elements??

Try a tray and see how they go..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Just throwing some thoughts out there, I have yet to use Hi-Tek but have been following the thread for a long time. If my thoughts are on the wrong track please say so, I'm trying to help, not make things worse for Tony or anyone else.

My thought's are on Tony's oven and how oven's work, there are hot spots in an oven, less if it's a convection with a fan moving air/heat around. Some oven's will be worse then other's depending on their design including one of two heating elements. The other factors will be what's placed in the oven and where it's placed, bigger tray's will restrict air flow, placed closer to a heating element it will block heat. Then there temperature control, is the thermostat letting the temperature fall too far before kicking the heat back on, how accurate is it. If all those factors are minimized and the bullets still not fully curing with the recommend time, then "if it was me" I'd be looking at another oven, one properly set up, but before that I'd just try baking them longer, even if it mean's changing the color, what's more important, color or performance? I'd get them working, then I "might" think about setting up a better oven so I get full cure and good color, if color was important to me which it's not.

Hope this helps rather then muddy the waters.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Guys
    I'm not going to be able to post any photos from now on with my post. So I will not be able to give you photos of the test and targets on the Yellow Green and Orange that I had promised. It seems that something has changed with this site and I have been advised to use a free host site in order to be able to post my photos. This has not been the case for the last three years. And I have posted directly off of my computer. I have a policy of avoiding storing anything, that I can avoid, in any off site storage host. All of my Apple devices are disconnected from the cloud and I only use storage for backup here at the house. So my post from now on will be word only and I will try not to use the thousand words to replace the photo. But not making that a promise.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

back on page 433 Uh, post 433? is that just the 'dark green'?
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes Ausglock I have top and bottom elements. I had the prob on top of the tray that is in the middle. It was like half inch about the tray. I just moved the probe to go under the tray half inch. I'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    back on page 433 Uh, post 433? is that just the 'dark green'?
    Popper
    That is post 8644 and 8645 on page 433 for the three colors. This thing has become a monster to read. I think I started reading it back when it was under 3000 post.

You are one of the people on here that encouraged me to get something to find out how fast my bullets were going. Now I'm learning about other things like standard deviation. Maybe this will help me find ways to get more consistent in my loads. Thanks.

This place is a treasure trove for the casting reloading crowd.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy
    So it looks like the Kryptonite green takes 14 min to fully cure and the Bronz 500 takes 15 min. It take it It's normal for different colors and the time?

Boolit Master
    If that's what it takes on YOUR oven, so be it.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Is the Texas T color still around?
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Yep...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    It is Black 1035 on my website

Boolit Master
    Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I just watched a video on youtube that was made by what I call a hotdogger. A lot of people subscribe to this guys channel. Somebody sent him two of the small containers of hi-tek. You could tell that he did not read the instructions and was negative from the start. Measured the powder by using a scoop that he had marked for grains instead of grams. Mixed up the solution and used it without letting it set. Did not use enough solution for the amount of bullets he was coating. Tumbled the bullets for 15 seconds and dumped them and on and on. I have to admit that it ticked me off. This in no way was a fair test.

Boolit Master

How can you have a scoop marked for weight? A scoop of powder paint can have wildly different weights. Not to mention powder or Hi-Tek.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Buddy
    Was it fortincookie lc? I seen his video. He had gold and black cherry.

Boolit Master
    You got it. I couldn't help it. I had to comment. He wanted it to fail.

Boolit Master
    Some people should not breed. This poor fool is a wet dream pushed in with a spoon.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 06-06-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    How can you have a scoop marked for weight? A scoop of powder paint can have wildly different weights. Not to mention powder or Hi-Tek.
    I find that 20 grams of Candy Apple Red is a different volume than 20 grams of Bronze 500, follow the instructions weigh the powder and measure the Acetone.

Most you tube video's are a waste of time and irritating.

Boolit Master
    I guess most people don't think about such stuff as this. I am really sold on the hi-tek. Have used it for three years now and won't use anything else. Time and time again I see failure reports. Why is this? Recently I saw a video on youtube (yeah I know) about a comparision between hi-tek and some powdercoat. The application of the hi-tek was a total shamble. But, even at that the tester was impressed with the groups from the hi-tek. I commented on the video and then thought the right thing to do was try and help the guy. I sent him an e-mail and told him how I do hi-tek. One of the things I do comes from the mind of Ausglock. I drill a hole in the base of a bullet and insert the end of the thermocouple wire and secure it with hi-heat tape. It goes in with the bullets and I know exactly what the temp of the bullets is running. He e-mailed me back and said he didn't need anything that precise right now and would keep doing what he is doing. If I remember right he has a toaster oven which is fine but goes by the dial ( I could be wrong about this,he may use some kind of thermometer) Like I tell everybody about the hi-tek. It is not a difficult process but a precise process. Everything has to be weighed,measured, and temp doublechecked. It seems as a lot of people nowdays just want to throw some of this,and that and a if this is good more will be better,snap their fingers and there you go. With all these failure reports I guess I am worried some that hi-tek will be pulled from the U.S. because of low sales.I hope there are more people using it that I know about. My 12 year old granddaughter loves to help me when I coat bullets. She is not involved in any of the mixing but she can swirl a small amount of bullets with a lid on the container. We use all safety equipment and she is supervised very closely. Her main job is moving bullets from the tray to storage containers or sometimes she likes to size them. This is not a powdercoat bash. I don't know what is in powdercoat or what kind of fumes it throws off while cooking or shooting. I am not going to expose her to something like that. ( Yes she shoots too,getting pretty good) I know hi-tek has been safety tested and that gives me some peace of mind. I have rambled on enough.

ADMIN

For those looking for the 220V ssr thread please look here -> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...220V-PID-setup

Please stay ON TOPIC

Page 442 of 742 FirstFirst ... 342392432433434435436437438439440441442443444445446447448449450451452492542 ... LastLast