Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Just Call me ....G

Quoted "If any of you have experience with the Hi-Tek, subsonic boolits through a can in .300 BlackOut, please share.
    I would request that you hold off on a fevered sales pitch..."re-read the thread" type comments.

I am looking for specific facts, not rhetoric."

I am most surprised at your above post. You ask for assistance, and then you suggest that people on this site are nothing but "fevered sales pitch" persons. No one is trying to sell you any thing. I have found, that folks on this site, FOR FREE, are happy to offer/share practical advice based on their experience. If you consider that being a "sales pitch" then it is not appropriate for you to seek their advice.
    If you are thinking that folk on this site are sales people, and, if you interested in trying the product/s, in specific applications, it would be more appropriate for you to contact supplier and discuss your needs. If satisfied with suppliers replies, then buy it and use it, and, if you are not satisfied with suppliers reply, don't buy it.
    Sorry mate, but no one is twisting your arms up your back, forcing you to purchase any product.
    Ummmm. This post was from 2013... I'd say Old Mate has either pissed or gotten off the coating pot.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    This product has changed the way I shoot. I cast everything, well most everything and this product has caused me to mothball my 4-lubrisizers and good riddance to them. This product is far superior. I only have two issues, both stupid ones.

1. I have no idea why people are enamored with different colors. I use bronze...uhm that's about all I have to say about that.

2. The name. Hi-Tek is too generic a name. It can be applied to almost anything. When you tell someone you coat your bullets with Hi-Tek the conversation quickly degrades into an explanation of "No, really, that's the name".

You should have called it Ozzie Luv Juice or something...
    [

Boolit Master
    It's actually called Supercoat.
    Just like the dry Dog food I buy for my pooches....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    This product has changed the way I shoot. I cast everything, well most everything and this product has caused me to mothball my 4-lubrisizers and good riddance to them. This product is far superior. I only have two issues, both stupid ones.

1. I have no idea why people are enamored with different colors. I use bronze...uhm that's about all I have to say about that.

2. The name. Hi-Tek is too generic a name. It can be applied to almost anything. When you tell someone you coat your bullets with Hi-Tek the conversation quickly degrades into an explanation of "No, really, that's the name".

You should have called it Ozzie Luv Juice or something...
    AbitNutz
    Thanks for compliment.
    The colour craze started here in Aus. (you can blame us) lol lol. Each manufacturer wanted their "own" colour. It was then made worse, by people wanting Polkadot, Candy stripes, glowing colours, Pink to match the lipstick and handbag, and of course the magic Blue.

The Bronze varieties came about people wanting coatings similar in appearance to Jacketed ammo, and then some wanted it more Reddish some wanted it more brownish.

The Name, is actually Hi-Tek-Lube Supercoat. It was ground breaking some 25 plus years ago.

It has been called many names, (snake oil, Aussie Slime, Drop Bear blood, and others, not fit for publication. lol lol.)
    I think Love juice is already taken lol lol.

Vendor Sponsor

AbitNutz
    Thanks for compliment.
    The colour craze started here in Aus. (you can blame us) lol lol. Each manufacturer wanted their "own" colour. It was then made worse, by people wanting Polkadot, Candy stripes, glowing colours, Pink to match the lipstick and handbag, and of course the magic Blue.

The Bronze varieties came about people wanting coatings similar in appearance to Jacketed ammo, and then some wanted it more Reddish some wanted it more brownish.

The Name, is actually Hi-Tek-Lube Supercoat. It was ground breaking some 25 plus years ago.

It has been called many names, (snake oil, Aussie Slime, Drop Bear blood, and others, not fit for publication. lol lol.)
    I think Love juice is already taken lol lol.
    I didnt realize it had been around 25 years? Wow!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yep... We have been spoilt down here in OZ.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    I didnt realize it had been around 25 years? Wow!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Lakehouse 2012.
    It is amazing how time flies.
    Just think, where we would have been if US had adopted the product some 15-18 years ago when it was first attempted to be introduced there.
    All well, it is now history.

Boolit Master
    It would have been interesting if I had picked up on the coating when I had my casting business in the late 1990's.

Boolit Bub
    You have forgotten Red 122(Crimson type red) Blush Red Copper (Pinkish Metallic glittery), DD Red (flesh pink type) as well. My two cents worth is the brightest would be possibly Red 122 and Brick Red, followed by Blush Red Copper.
    But final choice is what is in the eye of the beholder as being OK...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings View Post
    Brick Red is the brightest Red I have in stock. It is what Acme Bullets and SNS Casting use.
    Thank you both for the replies! I will get the Brick Red!

Donnie I'll have a order coming to you next week!
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

Boolit Buddy
    You yanks ought to see my bronze coat-almost drop bear blood!
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master
    Well I've suddenly got a problem,I have been coating my boolits the same way for a while but all of a sudden the coating wipes straight off,smash test just fine but 10 sec's with a rag and acetone and my boolits are shiny clean,I even increased my bake time to 15mins and then the temp up to 220 but off she comes.I smelted up a new batch of alloy,I'm thinking I might have an extra ingredient or two.

Boolit Master
    I had the same thing awhile ago. The thermostat in the oven was not holding temp. Faulty heating element. replaced it and all was good again.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 05-14-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    More heat fixed it.My latest batch passed today,I just cranked the heat to max and it worked.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    More heat fixed it.My latest batch passed today,I just cranked the heat to max and it worked.
    Yep. I'd say the thermostat has had the dick.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    You gotta love OZ slang

Yea. I'm surprised we didn't get a moderator comment on that one.

I'm not sure why I have to log out and log back in in order to post a comment most of the time. Do they time me out if I'm not commenting?

Hope to be posting some test with new colors soon. Nothing other than what has been said so far on the color itself. But will be adding some feed back on running them through the .308. And maybe some target photos if the loads are right.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    "Richard" is offended that you lot take his "handle" as a derogatory term.
    Bloody heathen northern hemisphere residents......
    Very interested in your 308 info.
    Toying with getting a mold to try some in my Parker-Hale 7.62 Target rifle.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Now you know I was referring to "the dick" comment. I think if we were posting in Britannia the moderator might have a problem with "bloody". Or if I threw up two fingers in the shape of a V with the back of my hand to you. Those Brits are really sensitive about that one. And the french, too. But point made different cultures.

I'm hoping that three coats of the non-metallic coating will stand up to .308 pressures. First time I've used it in my rifles. May have to run them slow as I coated some new alloy which I don't know the BHN of, yet. What is it they say "only change one thing at a time"? Whoops!
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy
    Woodleigh Hydros 400 Gr for my .404.
    Got a beautiful shade of 'Drop bear blood' red -2 coats
    complete, even coverage.

[Pass the acetone rub. NOPE. Am not going to smash test em. Pics -am trying...

q6dr.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited by eljefeoz; 05-22-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Like I mentioned earlier, I've been working with some new color non-metallic coatings in the powder. They are the same yellow, green and orange that Joe and Trevor mentioned back on page 433. Donnie has some in stock.

I would post some photos but the site is having trouble right now with loading them up. Robert advised me "We have been doing software updates. Hopefully things will be better once updates are completed." Will do it later.

Just as Trevor said the yellow is basically a medium tan after it is baked. The green is a nice dark green. And the orange is burnt orange when baked, think Mitsubishi Eclipse burnt orange without the small metal flake. If you got to have purdy, I think I would pick the orange although all are nice. I will disagree with Trevor on one thing. He suggested using 150 ml of acetone instead of the usual 100 ml with the green because of it's intense color. In other words mix it more diluted. I did this and it would not give me good coverage until the fourth coat.

Coated, except for the green, with a mix of two tablespoons of powder and 100 ml of acetone. Did an open tumble when coating instead of my usual closed tumble. Used 1 ml of coating per pound of bullets. Everything measured, which is also not my norm. Did some fiddling with the bake time and temp and got best results with an 8 min bake holding temp. at between 190 and 200 C on my setup. Measured inside the oven. Started timer when bullets reached 195 C. Wipe and smash test passing with these. Lowered the temp 10 to try and keep the orange orange but it started failing the wipe test. Since I planned on using some of the bullets I was coating in the .308 all of them received three coats except the green which had four. The bullets were the copper infused lead combined with COWW and Tin. Was shooting for around 15 BHN and got just over 16 BHN.

At the range, the most important part to me, I shot 40 rounds of .308 through the rifle with no leading. I verified this with my El-cheapo bore cam. There was some kind of white residue about halfway down the barrel that cleaned up with my usual cleaning method. Groups were not all that impressive with lowest one coming in at about two inches. I think a little more load work with this new hollow point, a calm day and some correction in operator error will fix that. Wind was gusting up to about 15 mph and changing direction. Finally broke down and spent some of my gun money for something to tell me how fast they are going. These were several different loads and averages were between 2400-2700 fps out of the barrel. Wish I could recover some of the bullets. I really wanted to see how the hollow point worked. But real busy public range.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 05-28-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: additional info

Page 440 of 742 FirstFirst ... 340390430431432433434435436437438439440441442443444445446447448449450490540 ... LastLast