Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Curious how often swirling container should be cleaned out of prior batch residues? I just did a 6th batch same container and that first coat much darker than on the first batch. Still using 6ml per 4.5lbs.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Redwoode View Post
    Curious how often swirling container should be cleaned out of prior batch residues? I just did a 6th batch same container and that first coat much darker than on the first batch. Still using 6ml per 4.5lbs.

Thanks
    Good question. Answer is simple. When you see a build up in your coating bucket, simply add more projectiles, plus a little Acetone only. Swirl around and this will slowly re-dissolve residue and coat alloy. You can regard this as first coat and recycle coating if you have enough residues.

Boolit Master
    Does Black Cherry have metallic in it?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    Does Black Cherry have metallic in it?

No it does not. Closest color with metallic that I have in stock is Candy Apple Red.
    Last edited by Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings; 03-30-2017 at 07:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Good question. Answer is simple. When you see a build up in your coating bucket, simply add more projectiles, plus a little Acetone only. Swirl around and this will slowly re-dissolve residue and coat alloy. You can regard this as first coat and recycle coating if you have enough residues.
    I find that if I let too much coating build up in the bucket and use the straight Acetone I will get too much coating on the bullets, so if I clean the bucket regularly it works really well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwoode View Post

Thanks
    I add a little acetone to my swirl container. I then put a top on the container and swirl around until the sides are cleaned off and add it back to my mixture bottle.

Last big batch I did failed due to the residue. I don't save any of the 'cleaned out' stuff, it appears to remain hard. Old L. green & powder gold the same. I do maybe 2 batches a year for pistol.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I wish we could get a nice blue in Hi-Tek.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I wish we could get a nice blue in Hi-Tek.

Ha... you and me, Both.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    Trev, what's the best way to remove the yellow off gassing buildup from the inside of the oven and fan?

Boolit Master
    I use spray on oven cleaner on the inside of the glass door.
    I don't worry about the chamber or the fan.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

OK. I've been looking through the post but over 400 pages make it hard. My Gun Metal is coming out green. I've had some batches that were more Gun Metal but the last couple of batches were damn near the same as the Zombie Green i just picked up. Any obvious things I'm missing?

Thanks,

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Master
    over baking. The resin is causing it to yellow, thus turning green.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KrakenFan69 View Post
    OK. I've been looking through the post but over 400 pages make it hard. My Gun Metal is coming out green. I've had some batches that were more Gun Metal but the last couple of batches were damn near the same as the Zombie Green i just picked up. Any obvious things I'm missing?

Thanks,

Kraken Fan #69
    Please advise temperature of Oven temperature of alloy and how long it is being baked. Is oven fan forced?
    Gunmetal does not develop full colour until it reaches at least 180C and held there or above for another 3-4 minutes.
    Generally under cooking can be various shades of Green
    Over cooking is black.

Small convection oven set to 400F (not verified) Cook time has varied from 15-20 minutes.

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KrakenFan69 View Post
    Small convection oven set to 400F (not verified) Cook time has varied from 15-20 minutes.

Kraken Fan #69

Well, you may have explained your problem.
    It seems your oven may be not adequate with heating and temperature control.
    The mere fact that you set knob to 200C does not guarantee that your product temperature is 200C, and load is at same temperature. If you have no air circulation fan, this may make things worse.

Kraken, I was having the same problem. I'm using a PID to control the oven, so was pretty confidant regarding temps. When cooked simultaneously alongside Zombie Green and Bronze all samples passed the tests (and fired ok) but the Gunmetal was green. I was perplexed, but after discussing it with Trev he suggested raising my cooking temp. as the gunmetal is a bit different to other colours. I went up to just under 250 C, same time (between 10 - 12 mins) and that worked. I now have two colours for the price of one - if I want green I cook at "normal" temp (200 C), if I want Gunmetal (almost black) I cook at 250 C.

Bear in mind that my oven is NOT fan-forced, but I have found through experimenting that it's consistent as long as I only use the centre shelf (where the PID sensor is). My experience, for what it's worth.

Thanks guys, I'll try it at a higher setting. I was confused as I have had batches that did come out more of a Gun Metal color however they always had a bit of a green tint and my Zombie Green works like a charm all at the same temp. I'll play around and see what I can get to work. Can anyone tell me if the Cherry Red is as easy to use as the Zombie Green? It's my next color purchase!

Cheers,

Kraken Fan #69
    Last edited by KrakenFan69; 04-02-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    The GunMetal is the most temperamental color. The Black Cherry is easy like the ZG.

Banned
    KrakenFan, Beg, buy, borrow or steal a couple basic oven thermometers and set them in the middle of the shelf you will be baking on. Keep adjusting the oven temperature until the thermometers read 400 (or 200C you didn't say where your were). Note or mark the dial where that setting is then try baking you boolits for 12 min in a preheated oven.

Page 427 of 742 FirstFirst ... 327377417418419420421422423424425426427428429430431432433434435436437477527 ... LastLast