MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 41 of 742 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141541 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Alright took some pics of the bullets

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture001_zpsab21de34.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	79068

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture002_zps66dbda93.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	79069

Right after the pics I coated the bullets again this time with 2.5 ml color 5ml acetone and 50 units cat per 250 bullets. Also I took the lid off and being glass you could see the difference, before the sides of the glass would be completely cover with coating but when the bullet started to change noise they also picked up most of the coating on the sides of the glass. So maybe mixing to little coating and using even less of it not letting it setup is my problem. This will be the 4th coat.

Boolit Grand Master

Thompsoncustom, did you read Hi-Tek's last post up the page aways? I think you may be using the wrong ratios. Don't know what a unit is though.
    The ratio is 5 parts color, 1 part catalyst, 5 to 10 parts acetone.

Hmmmm 50 units is .50 of a ml. if you convert it all to units it's 250units color 50units cat and 500 units acetone. I guess I thought it was a 5 to 1 ratio and 50 goes into 250 5 times.

There are a 100 units in a ml. I'm thinking I got it right maybe my form of measurement is confusing. Should be 5-1-10

Banned

just say 5-1-10.

Ordered a blank NOE mold and took it to my cnc local shop, this is a no lube ring 108gr boolit for my 380. Turned out nice, should be easy to coat. I had him add an old spru handle i had from lee mold. He made spru plate. I cast bout 50 while ago.

Old lee handles i drilled and pinned. John did a good job on the CNC machine.

It drops great. Washed good with hot soapy water. Set it on my hot plate from walmart and it warmed up.

Love Life
    I thought you had this all figured out, Gunoil!?

I have been considering having a 358429, no lube groove, cut for coating. I want a H&G 34 clone with no lube groove, but I would need to send my mould out to have the loob groove removed and the blocks faced off to keep it at 230 gr.

Now I need a 9mm RN with no lube grooves...

Banned

LOVELIFE Now jest slow down a lil'. Do one at a time. How near is your CNC guy? What advantage do i have with no lube groove?

I luv my 380's. I have 2 resturant jars of those 38sp for sale, one jar is HP.
    Last edited by gunoil; 08-13-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I shake with the lid off. What I do is I tilt the coffee can so all the boolits are in a little pile. I then shake the bejesus out of my juice bottle full of 5-1-10. As soon as I'm done shaking I pull the top and squirt some directly onto the little pile of boolits. I rotate the coffee can so the boolits swirl through the coating and alternate back and forth shaking to allow them to tumble some as well. I tumble for about 20 seconds or until I see the swirl start to slow. Dump in one fluid motion so they spread out and arn't touching. I usually let them dry overnight, or a couple days. I'll coat through the week and then start baking Saturday morning. As the boolits cool from the 1st bake I'll coat them again and leave them alone until Sunday after church. Once I get home I bake them the second time.

I usually bake for 8 minutes but have left them in the oven up to 11 minutes. They had some color change, but passed the swipe and smash test. After that I size them through Lee sizers and toss them in a coffee can to be loaded at a later date. I love the stuff. It just plain works. I still need to get some green though...
    This is exactly how I do mine. Same procedure. Only don't worry about them touching on the drying tray. by that time the coating is touch dry and they will not stick together when baked. When I transfer from the drying tray to the baking tray, they get shake around anyway and this seperates them prior to going into the oven.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Love Life
    Do you ever have any stick to the wire mesh after baking? I do, but the mesh doesn't leave any marks and they pass the swipe/smash test. They also do not lead the barrel.

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    I wonder if this could be done with no color added to the coating, as in a clear coat?
    My guess is it would probably only work for those with experience in coating.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Love Life
    I have wondered the same thing BBQJOE. That's why I'm moving to the green with less metallics in it. Easier to keep the color in suspension when pouring onto your bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I have wondered the same thing BBQJOE. That's why I'm moving to the green with less metallics in it. Easier to keep the color in suspension when pouring onto your bullets.
    I really like the gold color. I think it looks nice with the brass. I'd be just as happy with the natural silver though.
    I've got my M&P 9 shooting cleanly. The operator seems to have more shake these days though, so I'm not sure about accuracy. I'm now working on .44 on a mid sized load of unique (6.5) sized .429. I'm getting some lead out of the barrel, not crazy ribbons or anything like that, but more like lead dust. I'm using three equal coats on these.
    I've never slugged my S&W 629. I know I should. (sigh) I gotta go watch some videos or something. Slugging an auto is easy with the barrel removed. I'm not so certain about doing it with a wheel gun.

Love Life
    Slugging a revolver is easy as well.

I like the way the red/copper looks (sor of), but I like the evenness of the green coating. I have some targets I need to post, but my pistolero skills are not the best so they don't really tell you much.

Boolit Master
    HI-TEK has stated that the un-coloured coating yellows when baked, so a clear coat would not be possible.
    As for 44 Mag.
    The commercial coated bullets here are used in 44mag revos and lever guns. Even the Desert Eagles in 44 Mag fire these bullets with no problems, all without gas checks and only with 2 coats.
    My mate pushes his 44 lever gun loads to 1800fps with no leading. Bullets are sized .430 from the manufacturer.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

Cool

Bad pic, but here the lil' 108 gr 380 from NOE mold. I'll be happy with em.

Gotta size em after i watch the rifleman

sized:
    Last edited by gunoil; 08-13-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Well tired the 7ml and let them air dry for a hour and than baked them 6.5mins shake and another 6.5 mins soon as they came out I water dropped them. Tested 20 and there still leading. Not sure where to go at this point. Maybe one last coat of 10ml and see if it does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    HI-TEK has stated that the un-coloured coating yellows when baked, so a clear coat would not be possible.
    As for 44 Mag.
    The commercial coated bullets here are used in 44mag revos and lever guns. Even the Desert Eagles in 44 Mag fire these bullets with no problems, all without gas checks and only with 2 coats.
    My mate pushes his 44 lever gun loads to 1800fps with no leading. Bullets are sized .430 from the manufacturer.
    My 44 rifle (Winchester) shoots clean. My 629 needs the help. I'm gonna slug it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Well tired the 7ml and let them air dry for a hour and than baked them 6.5mins shake and another 6.5 mins soon as they came out I water dropped them. Tested 20 and there still leading. Not sure where to go at this point. Maybe one last coat of 10ml and see if it does it.
    Why are you water dropping them? That sounds like an issue maker.

I think I read that someone on here was water dropping for rifles with no problems. I was using close to pure lead so I was water dropping to help any I could but I remelted all my bullets and mixed it 2/3 WW to 1/3 Pure tho it seems the alloy might not have been the problem.

Boolit Master
    Another question from the peanut gallery.
    If I am coating and cooking outside. What about any dust, of stuff just floating in the air? Will it burn off of the bullets during the cooking? or does it just not affect the surface of the bullets. Kevin

Love Life
    I baked a feather into a bullet...

I now coat inside with very good ventilation. I just didn't see sand getting blown onto my bullets as conducive to a long barrel life.

Page 41 of 742 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141541 ... LastLast