RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    So what do I need or shoul I do? Would these lead in a glock?

Boolit Buddy
    Also I'm shaking very good right before I measure. I do everything pretty fast so it doesn't start to settle as I measure.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    Also I'm shaking very good right before I measure. I do everything pretty fast so it doesn't start to settle as I measure.

I advise, with using it on a Glock, that you get the process perfect first. If you don't, and you get Leading, I predict, that you may complain. Just a guess.....lol...

Mixtures, are very thin (low viscosity). Particles settle very quickly, and I have some doubts about you getting representative mixture to coat.
    When you shake, then put down mixture, to get a syringe to take coating mixture, the majority of solids would settle.
    What Ausglock said, and repeated many times is, that you use a syringe, suck up the mixture, squirt it back, and immediately re fill syringe. Squirting back first syringe, stirs up mixture, and immediately re-drawing up with syringe, you get more a representative mix to coat with.

Boolit Master
    Again... read my instructions and follow them to the letter.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    I pull the plunger out then shake the bottle then I poor the hitek into the syring then putt the plunger back in a squirt it onto the bullets.

So the color that is described is from the flakes setteling to fast? I'm going to do the 20/100 mix again for both coats next.
    What else do I need to do to get this perfect? Just shake it better ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    I pull the plunger out then shake the bottle then I poor the hitek into the syring then putt the plunger back in a squirt it onto the bullets.

Why pull the plunger out???? Just suck the coating up! why make it so difficult????

So the color that is described is from the flakes setteling to fast? I'm going to do the 20/100 mix again for both coats next.
    What else do I need to do to get this perfect? Just shake it better ?
    Yes.Don't pizz around between shaking and sucking up the coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Yes.Don't pizz around between shaking and sucking up the coating.
    I have a clear ketchup bottle so I take the cap off and put my finger on it and shake it then pour.

Its my oven as I put 3 bullets in at 400 for 15 min and one coat and they where solid bronz and didn't chip or rub off at all. I'm going to try 2.5 pounds this time instead of the 5 lbs.

My convection oven is digital so I need to know how to bypass the digital controlers to us my PID with it

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tonyn View Post
    i have a clear ketchup bottle so i take the cap off and put my finger on it and shake it then pour. i hope you had gloves on

its my oven as i put 3 bullets in at 400 for 15 min and one coat and they where solid bronz and didn't chip or rub off at all. I'm going to try 2.5 pounds this time instead of the 5 lbs. you will have longer baking time, and now you have to keep an eye on the larger load< to stop cooking when it reaches same colour as your # projectiles. Take note of how long that will take with baking.

my convection oven is digital so i need to know how to bypass the digital controlers to us my pid with it
    this site has plenty of advice how a pid is used. Search pid controls

Boolit Bub
    I just wanted to let everyone know, the 375 H&Hs coated with 2 coats of K-15 black worked great, no leading at all, I was getting some really weird fliers, but hopefully as I work up a load those will go away, but again, no leading!!
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warhead View Post
    i just wanted to let everyone know, the 375 h&hs coated with 2 coats of k-15 black worked great, no leading at all, i was getting some really weird fliers, but hopefully as i work up a load those will go away, but again, no leading!! :-d

great news. Thanks much for the post. That k-15 black is very slick, and you may have to up your sizing needs a little, to stop flyers.. What alloy are you using?

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1467.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	185774
    Next stop on the hi-tek train

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    great news. Thanks much for the post. That k-15 black is very slick, and you may have to up your sizing needs a little, to stop flyers.. What alloy are you using?
    Lino, mixed 50/50 with range scrap, water dropped after 2nd coat.

I forgot to say the mold is the Lee 379-250-RF sized to .376
    Last edited by Warhead; 01-22-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1467.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	185774
    Next stop on the hi-tek train
    That is going to be my next stop on the Hi-Tek train also.

Boolit Buddy
    How hard is needed when testing the wipe test?

Boolit Buddy

simple Hi-Tek coating

First coating.... just coated, not yet baked. Drying now. Gonna give them about 45m or so.
    looks correct? Zombie green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Scorpius; 01-22-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    They can look fantastic but if they fail the tests you've wasted your time

Joe
    I know this has probably been answered before but, is there any reason I shouldn't throw a bunch of leftover coatings into one container and use it? They are several different powder colors and a bit of liquid coating. Most of it is under three months old.

Tony N
    The pressure I use is about the same as the pressure I use with a pen or pencil while writing. You don't have to clench it real hard. Let the acetone do the work. My experience has been you can expect a little color on the rag with some of the powder colors. Wiping that dissolves large amount of coating and all the way down to the lead is a definite fail. If you get that give them a few more minutes in the oven at 400 F.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    They can look fantastic but if they fail the tests you've wasted your time
    Edited.....they're coated and drying. 1st coat not yet baked

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Avenger442;3921051]Joe
    I know this has probably been answered before but, is there any reason I shouldn't throw a bunch of leftover coatings into one container and use it? They are several different powder colors and a bit of liquid coating. Most of it is under three months old.

Avenger
    All the coatings are compatible with each other, so you can mix them and use them successfully, in whatever ratio you want. You can end up with peculiar colours, and, if it works out that you get a colour you like, you will never be able to reproduce it.
    I assume that you want to make up all powders as liquids to use? Are the liquids you are trying to use catalysed, or are they liquids made from powders?
    If they are liquids made from powders, they should be OK. If it is catalysed liquid, it also should work but extra care must be used to ensure that mixture is kept out of sunlight and heat.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
    Edited.....they're coated and drying. 1st coat not yet baked

They should go green after bake.
    They look as you used much too much coating. Make sure you dry them very well before cooking them, even if you have to warm air dry.
    Test a few in oven first before baking the whole lot, to make sure that they will be OK after bake.

Page 404 of 742 FirstFirst ... 304354394395396397398399400401402403404405406407408409410411412413414454504 ... LastLast