RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    I always did and thought you where supposed to do 30 seconds each coating.
    Tony, HI-TEK is the industrial chemist that created Hi-Tek coating and Ausglock is the field tester for Hi-Tek coatings. They've been using this stuff for 20+ years It does no good to ask questions IF you don't do exactly what the experts tell you needs to be done. Please, print out post # #8019 and follow the instructions exactly. Hi-Tek was developed and used extensively in Australia by commercial casters. Gremlin is also an old hand at coating. Watch his video and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6MoF8u4rHk they are using an all liquid mix, once they components are combined into the hi-tek solution, the rest of the process is the same. If you follow the instructions exactly and watch the 2 video's and still have a problem then ask.
    When it comes together you'll kick yourself for how easy it really is.

PS I used these for tumbling http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-5-q...0216/204303497 2.5-qt. Natural Multi-Mix Container (3-Pack) $5.94
    until I made an electric tumbler/mixer

Boolit Buddy
    I always did and thought you where suposed to do 30 seconds each coating.
    I do swirl for at least a total of 30 seconds. With a lid on my container I swirl for 20 seconds and get a really even coating and then remove the lid and swirl for another 10-15 seconds until the acetone flashes off and the sound changes and the swirling slows down. Then I dump them on the tray and spread them out. I put them under a box fan turned horizontally and let them dry another 30 minutes or so before putting into the oven for about 12-14 minutes.

Boolit Buddy
    I did the 10 min with 4 projectiles as requested and maid a batch of 10 grams with 100 ML acetone. Swirled till hearing the solid sound. Around 20 sec. The one projectile was rubbed on acetone for 30 seconds with medium pressure. As usual there was some rub off but not a complete rub off. The smash test passed without any flaking. The convection oven was at 400 degrees for 10 min. I use a thermometer in the front of oven and rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170119_201156.jpg   20170119_203708.jpg   20170119_201911.jpg   20170119_203748.jpg   20170119_203620.jpg  

20170119_203836.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    The last picture was 2 dark ones after first bake and the light ones are ones not naked yet. 10 grams powder to 100 ML acetone.

Boolit Master
    OK... you are nearly there.
    Use the exact same mix, but bake for 12 minutes.

Are you really really really sure 100% sure that you oven is really really at 400Deg F?????? Really?
    Don't say you are using a $1 oven thermomenter.
    I mean an accurate PID thermometer with K sensor probe. They are accurate! everything else is not accurate.
    Without accuracy, there is no repeatability.

Accuracy is my thing.
    My real job, I am quality assurance/ Production Supervisor for a large Hardwood drying and dressing plant.
    I like accuracy and thus, repeatability
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    That is correct. Bullet weight doesn't matter, so long as you use 6mls to every 2.5Kg of alloy.
    If you want to, you can drop back to 5mls for a thinner first coat to try and ensure first coat sticking correctly.
    Sweet, at 2.5Kg that is 34 bullets Yes they are big boys, when I have them right I will post a picture.

Greg
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Master
    I coated a few 100 12Ga slugs and some 310gn 45 pills.
    Used 6mls per 2.5Kg and all worked fine. the 12Ga was pure soft lead.
    No issues.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    No... I'm not sure but they read 400 dead on. I have a Bluebird just like yours but it reads 100 No matter what I have it at. The bottom is set at 88 C for my thermometers to read 400 degrees. I had the bottom red set at 200C before and the Top still read little over 100. The thermometers where reading 550 degrees. I emailed the manufacturer And I had to have a receipt to get it replaced as I received it as a gift so I don't have that for proof. I'll have to buy another probe on the net I guess.

Boolit Master
    I went through 5 or 6 of the cheap oven thermomenter's which all were up to 50 deg F +/-, when I started using an accurate PID thermometer with K sensor probe most of my baking problems went away.

When drying I find that getting the bullets to at least 100 deg F for 30 min insures the coating is really dry, this maybe over kill but then I am not having any failures.

Boolit Buddy
    where can I get a good K sensor probe at to replace my bluebird one?
    I'll try 12 min. Bake tonight and see how it goes

Boolit Master
    I got mine off e bay but I'm sure that there a lot of other good sources, automotive or home repair stores.

The colder the weather the harder it is to get total drying.

Banned
    try putting 2 oven thermometers in the middle of the shelf you bake on. see what your oven setting has to be to get them to 400 degrees, cool oven and check it a couple times. this will work in a pinch until you get a PID which will both read and control the temperature. Some people put fire brick or ceramic briquettes in the bottom of the oven to help hold the heat for when the door is opened.

Boolit Buddy
    I have lead projectiles in the bottom of the oven already to help.
    I also baked the bullets at 400 degrees and still lead showed thru. The temp dropped to 350 for the first 5 minutes before returning to 400

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=TonyN;3918780]

I have lead projectiles in the bottom of the oven already to help.
    [COLOR=rgb(0,0,205)]
    Does your oven have fan air circulation? With heating, it is the projectiles that need to be heated to at least 180C, and kept there for at least 2-3 minutes thereafter.
    You need about 200C to drive the heat into load of alloy inside your oven.
    Heat from hot air inside your oven, needs to be transferred into your alloy. Best way is to have a cyclone air circulation inside oven. This also will speed up heat recovery as air movement will carry heat from element also.

[/COLOR]
    I also baked the bullets at 400 degrees
    You really don't know what was the alloy temperature inside your oven. Oven thermometer can say whatever it wants, and measures hot air temperature, but that is not adequate to determine what was alloy temperature at the 10 minute bake time.

and still lead showed thru.
    I don't understand "still the Lead showed through" Please explain what you mean here.

The temp dropped to 350 for the first 5 minutes before returning to 400[/QUOTE
    This is telling me, that your oven heating may be inadequate or you over loaded your oven, or both. Air temperature recovery is also directly affected, if you have poor air circulation inside oven, especially if air cannot circulate around the load.
    HI-TEK
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 01-20-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The last batch was without preheating when it fell 50 degrees. This time around is when I did the preheat oven with this last batch of bullets and I put the whole amount in. Pictures are included. I believe as stated ore hearing the bullets for sure won't shock the oven so it doesn't drop temp. This next coating will be The 20 grams powder and 100 ML acetone. First batch was the 10 grams powder 100 ML acetone.

I meant by seen lead is when I did the wipe test there was some lead showing thru.

I was wanting to know when you do the wipe test how hard should I press for the 30 second test?

Boolit Buddy
    Preheated with 15 min. At 400 degrees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170120_200108.jpg   20170120_200045.jpg  

So you haven't been pre-heating the oven first? You have to get the oven up to temp. before putting in the boolits. My little oven overshoots initially when heating up, it's at that point I put the tray in 'cos it tends to compensate for the heat loss when opening the door. As for swirling, I've found 10-12 seconds is generally enough, 30 seconds sounds like a long time to be swirling.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I preheat the oven

Boolit Buddy
    Final coat with 20 grams powder and 100 ML acetone. This time i don't have any rub off with 30 second rub a light pressure. The smash test was good to me as pics show. One had a very little flaking. But I'll let you judge. I put bullets on the oven as it preheated right after I put 22nd coat on so they where drying and hearing up at the same time.
    The only thing is they are not a solid Bronz or ate they supposed to look like this? In the picture? Yhrt are darker in spots and not in other spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170120_225136.jpg   20170120_225744.jpg   20170121_000753.jpg  

Boolit Master

Final coat with 20 grams powder and 100 ML acetone. This time i don't have any rub off with 30 second rub a light pressure. The smash test was good to me as pics show. One had a very little flaking. But I'll let you judge. I put bullets on the oven as it preheated right after I put 22nd coat on so they where drying and hearing up at the same time.
    The only thing is they are not a solid Bronz or ate they supposed to look like this? In the picture? Yhrt are darker in spots and not in other spots.

You are almost there.
    Colour variation on same tray is exposing, that you have hot spots in your oven an also cold spots. That way you are over cooking some (darker colour) and others are what it seems like being OK.

Bronze colour is telling me that you may not have pre-mixed or had not taken a representative mix to use for coating. However you are not far off being OK.