Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 4 of 742 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Banned

Alrite croc breath, quit showing off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Ausglock,
    Those are gorgeous! I bet the typical bystander wouldn't know the difference between those and jacketed.
    G'day, Prickett.
    Thanks. They are actually a lighter colour than in the photos. The red/copper is almost jacketed colour.
    The Green is also lighter. like an Emerald/ RCBS green.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    dverna.
    Yesterday I produced 4500 9mm and 45 bullets.

Multi tasking is the key to higher production. My oven is similar in size to Gunoil's.
    My trays are 12"x12" and I have 8 of them. 4 are for drying and 4 are for cooking.
    When a cook is in, I have the other trays either drying or waiting for the oven. I am also sizing the finished bullets at the same time and using the hair dryer to "set" the coating just before entering the oven. when a cook comes out, it is left to cool while the next tray is cooking. when this tray comes out, the first tray is cool enough to re-coat and let dry.

It is harder to describe than do.
    I will never go back to lubesizing.
    The Lyman 450 and the RCBS LAM2 are now mothballed. I'm using the lube sticks to flux my melts.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    Alrite croc breath, quit showing off.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

Cool

dverna, easy to do a thousand, but I dont do one thing in the shop. I will coat some, run loadmaster or classic. I might be washing brass or casting while coating as i did today. Your barrel will prob be even cleaner. I have a eight hundred dollar magma star lubsizer coming very soon because i size supercoat. I have had blue lube MS boolits before but would use these anyday. I thought about cancelling my lube,heater. You can speed loadlubesizer but you still have lubed boolits and aggravation. I am planning motor on my MS with no lube. But not at first.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXbLxgJnBnI

Dverna, it is hard to explain this stuff, 36 bucks plus fedex, come on!

Sometimes ya just want to cook on the covered deck with my angel roof.

"Ta" to you ausglock.
    Last edited by gunoil; 06-29-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Ausglock - what mould is the 9 TC?
    Looks like the Lee 9mm TC mould.

Boolit Grand Master

I did get to the range and got over 2,550 fps in my 30-06 with a 180 gr linotype gas checked boolit. Accuracy did start to fall off after about 2,450 fps. The bore is .3085" and I had sized these to .309" but I may size them larger and try it again. There was not even a hint of leading in the '06. The last load was 50grs of IMR 4350 and it was max for the 100 plus degree temperature when I was shooting. I had to soak my hankerchief with water and lay it on the barrel after 9 rounds otherwise it would not cool down in 15 minutes.

I also fired the Lee 160-312- boolit in my SKS with a .3135" bore. Boolits were sized to .314" and gas checked. I hit 1,950 fps average and 1.20" group for 5 shots at 50 yards with iron sights. No leading and bore was very clean. This is a very hot load with primers starting to flatten and case expanding and extra half thousandths.

My S&W 27-2 also got to play firing the Saeco 180gr RFN with and without GCs. The velocity was almost 1,200 fps without the GC, 1,150fps with the GC. Accuracy was better with the GC at about 1.5" at 25 yards. This gun has a small bore at .3565" and large cylinder throats with most .358" and one .359". The boolits were sized .358" and I did get some leading after firing one 6 shot group. I fired 4 groups with no leading with the rest. Don't know what to blame that on but probably not the coating. The lead was actually a ring that came came out on the patch so maybe the nose was cut by the forcing cone? The nose is full diameter just up from the crimp groove on this boolit.

Boolit Master
    Ausglock - what mould is the 9 TC?
    Yep. and it shoots great. But the surprise was the Lee .358 105gr SWC. My mate cast and coated some of these and sized to .356. He fired them today in his SVI 9mm. bloody great little pill and accurate. 2 coats of HI-TEK blue/green.

I shot the SVI Racegun with 125gr coated pills at Major power factor 38 Supercomp shooting Steel Challenge. nice and clean and no fouling in the compensator.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Trev's right the little 105gr SWC are a great little pill. I put 200 through both my Spartan and SVI both came out squeeky clean. Both my coats were a little light on because I used a lot of acetone but as Trev said "bloody accurate" and no leading

Boolit Buddy
    Ausglock, everyone that reads the Internet knows you can't shoot lead through a comp gun. Ha ha just kidding! My suppressor gets here in a month or so, I can't wait to try 230 grain lees with it in my 300 blackout!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
    Ausglock, everyone that reads the Internet knows you can't shoot lead through a comp gun. Ha ha just kidding!
    Yeah. Funny about that. Why pay for jacketed when coated is far better. And no copper fouling in the barrel either.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Is anyone using this coating for 22 cal boolits? Just wondering if it will hold up to 2700 -2800 fps.

Banned

Yes with gas checks. 3 coats. Yippee! cheap 223 projectiles.
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-02-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redrockant View Post
    Trev's right the little 105gr SWC are a great little pill. I put 200 through both my Spartan and SVI both came out squeeky clean. Both my coats were a little light on because I used a lot of acetone but as Trev said "bloody accurate" and no leading
    I tried this round and found it didn't feed reliably in my P226, CZ75 or Taurus PT99. So, if considering this round, try it before committing to it.

Banned

So prickett, you going to coal fired bullets in stead of lube? Be careful, ya my see purple Roo's and yellow croc's. Other than that the coal fired supercoat is great.

prickett, ive shot a ton of 105 in sig 938 and db9. That mold wore out, i had a custom mold made to pick (makarov nose 111 gr and no lube grooves) up monday finally. I had bought 135 gr rnf from Al @ NOE. Its great.

Boolit Master
    Ausglock - thanks. Just picked up an XDs in 9 and will be looking for a mould for it. Got some 115 FMJ to start with + some Xtreme LRN. I prefer the T/C I think in the 124ish range but might consider the 100 if I can find them. I'll probably go to Accurate (or NOE) for the mould. May even get a redo of my Lee RD.
    The Lee 120Con cast at 122gr with 50/50 Lino/Pure lead. 16 BHN (Tested).

I realy wish Lee would add more bullet designs to their list. I want a 6 cavity 168gr RN .357 with no lube groove. A 135gr RN .357 and a 145gr RN in .358 and a 45 230gr RN (like the lyman 452374). I wonder if they realize that we are now in the 21st century and bullet designs and needs have changed.

HI-TEK was saying that he is working on a new Black coating. I really like black bullets in nickel cases. They look sweet. He also said that Bayou Bullets has a small supply of his 500 super mold release agent. This stuff is fantastic. If you want some, you better be quick.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

Roo breath, l@@kee here!
    http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...ps01274440.mp4

9mm coal fired boolits. Red-copper hi-tek supercoat from the land downunder, wizard of OZ.

Send that pretty witch over here, and keep the dog and them Munskins a while.

Love Life
    Hopefully I'll be trying out some of these coated bullets soon. From everything I have read they are exactly what people say they are. A great product!! Once I try out the bullets I will order some of the coating. Once I get it nailed down I will be selling off my lubesizers and getting some lee push through dies!!

From what I have read though, you still need to match the alloy to the application in the higher speed/pressure cartridges. I bet straight Lino or 50/50 Lino/Pure would be the bee's knees for my old 8X57.

Banned

upside down

Check this out, upside down.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJOkb3RxrZE

I already turned my RCBS upside down. MUCH BETTER WITH NOSE DOWN DROPS, THEY FALL RIGHT IN! Trying to figure out how to hook mrbulletfeeder.net to it. Just the drop die. I have MBF drop die. A MBF whole unit is 500 bucks but die could drop one at a time with lever action.
    Last edited by gunoil; 06-30-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yep. I have a Lee C press mounted upside down. really easy to feed them in.
    I hook a bucket over the die to catch them in.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 4 of 742 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104504 ... LastLast