Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    OK... Just for you Mark.

1. Weigh out 20 grams of HITEK powder.

2. Measure 100mls of acetone or MEK. (NOT bloody nail polish remover or anything like that. It MUST BE Pure Acetone.)Diggers brand is fine. Stay away from Septone.
    3. Get glass or plastic jar
    4. Add the powder to the jar and then add the 100mls of Acetone.
    5. Put lid on the mixture and shake the schit out of it for 2 minutes. You will feel it get warm as it reacts. LEAVE IT FOR 1/2 HOUR BEFORE YOU USE IT TO COAT!!!!!!!
    6. Add about 200 to 250 bullets(about 2Kgs to 2.5Kgs) to the plastic bucket. lid is NOT needed.
    7. Shake the coating. Suck up 6mls of coating and squirt it back into the jar. Now suckup another 6mls and Immediately add it to the bullets in the bucket.
    8. Shake the bucket of bullets and coating. Remember... you have to have the bullets and coating mixing around just like a cement mixer does. The bottom of the bucket should be wet with coating.
    9. Keep shaking, swirling until the rattle of the bullets changes to a dull thumping. you will hear the change really easy.
    10. dump the coated bullets onto your drying tray and shake the tray side to side until the bullets have leveled out on the tray. don't worry about them touching. it doesn't matter.
    11. If you think there isn't enough colour on the bullet, then you have the coating just right. Leave them alone for at least 10 minutes. then warm them with a hair dryer or Fan Heater.
    12. turn on your oven and pre-heat to 200deg C. While the oven is heating up, place the tray of Bullets on top of the oven to pre-warm them.
    13. place tray in the oven.
    14. set the oven timer for 12 minutes. not 6 or 8. But a full 12 minutes.
    15. when the oven turns off, remove the tray of bullets and let them cool. do not touch them until cool.use a fan to speed up the cooling
    16. when cool. take 1 bullet. lay it in it's side on a steel base and smash it with a hammer. the coating should not flake off.
    17. Take another bullet and get some acetone on a white cloth and wipe the coated bullet for 30 seconds and see if the colour comes off. if it does. place back into oven and bake for another 5 minutes. ( I have found 12 minutes per bake is enough).
    18. When the bullets are cool, place back in the bucket and repeat steps 6 to 17.
    19. when 2nd coat has cooled and has tested OK, Size and shoot.

This is really easy to do. the biggest mistake is not shaking immediately before coating or not baking long enough or at a too low temperature.

If your coating passes the wipe test but smashes off, You have used too much coating. remember... it is a stain, not a paint. a little goes a long way.

Do not try to process small lots of 10 or 20 bullets. you are only wasting your time and you WILL get the schittz cause it will not work.

OK. Now See what you get after following this TO THE LETTER!!!!
    Thanks.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    where abouts are you Mark?
    Sheep Shagger..Land of the long white sheepskin.
    KFK...Kentucky fried Kiwi.
    Jandal chucker.

Mark. Contact The bloke that runs this place.
    He has been using HITEK and casting and coating for a few years.
    https://www.3gun.co.nz/
    Last edited by Ausglock; 01-06-2017 at 02:11 AM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    He sold me my 2nd Glock!!!

Don't hold that against him .

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Don't hold that against him .
    I am suprised he made the same mistake TWICE!!
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I am suprised he made the same mistake TWICE!!
    Don't knock Glocks, they shoot hi-tek coated cast alloys just fine, despite claims from manufacturers that you canst shoot any thing else in them except Jacketed.
    These days, of anti gun lobbyists complaining, any thing that can be purchased legally is great news.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm on it
    thanks
    ausglock,dikman,gremlin and hitek
    MARK

Boolit Mold
    Ive been struggling with a proper adhesion of the HI-Tek coating? Ive just copied and printed these instructions. Ill give it another try.
    Mine look good and shoot well and clean at lower velocities. But foul out at 1050FPS or faster?
    Thanks
    Ringer

Gold 1035 + red copper are better for the higher fps. There may be others also. Alloy also makes a difference.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Ringer View Post
    Ive been struggling with a proper adhesion of the HI-Tek coating? Ive just copied and printed these instructions. Ill give it another try.
    Mine look good and shoot well and clean at lower velocities. But foul out at 1050FPS or faster?
    Thanks
    Ringer
    Thanks for your post.
    Can you please clarify your "struggle with adhesion?
    If you are shooting well, and clean up to 1000ft.sec, and coatings had passed tests without coming off, this may be pointing to a problem of your alloy being inadequate for higher velocities.
    The coatings are simply a bonded dry self lubricating coating. They are not replacement for Jacketed projectiles, and coatings cannot correct for engineering deficiencies.
    With limited amount of information being available, my guess is, that your alloy is too soft to use at higher speeds, and, none of the Hi-Tek coatings will prevent soft alloy being damaged with high velocity use.
    Hi-Tek

I would like to add Gun Metal to Poppers list. It performs well in my .308, gas checked and three coats, well north of 2400 fps. If I remember correctly, that alloy is around 16 BHN per my Lee tester. I think any of the metallic based Hi Tek coating should do the same.

I've used the Gold 1035, Copper 500, Dark Blue and Gun Metal in the Ruger 44 mag. Some with max loads and no leading. I think most of that powder was 4227 but I also shot some Titegroup. I like the big bullet guns but some of these loads would make my hand and arm hurt. Found that I'm more accurate with less powder so stopped using the max and near max loads. These bullets were not gas checked and had three coats. Lead was straight clip on wheel weights with 2% tin. I think it's around 11-12 BHN. Also some hollow points that were 50/50 COWW/lead. I don't remember that BHN. No lead in the barrel. In fact with the Gold 1035, after a couple of dry patches sometimes, it looked like the barrel had been cleaned.

Joe's right about the lead alloy. I tried the 11- 12 BHN lead COWW with no gas check three coats and loads one to three grains under max load H4895 in my .308. The pressure overcame the ability of the lead and had to clean the barrel. One of two times I have had leading. Think I could of gone down to mid or low 30 grain area and been OK with this bullet. You can't make a jacket out of this stuff. But it's a lubricant easily applied somewhat forgiving and does work.

Did melt down about 10 pounds of .45s because I coated too thick and failed smash test. Hey we all make mistakes along the way.

Keep working on it you'll get it right. Once you get it right you'll love it.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy

Hi there hitekkers
    More fail from me I'm afraid
    I tried again with the instructions from AUSGLOCK and HITEK,I left the coated bullets to dry under a fan for 90minutes and sat them on the oven as it warmed up,but,as you can see,the coating chipped like a potato.
    I'm going to try some different acetone and MEK.Will report.
    MARK

Boolit Master
    Umm. when you tipped it back into the squirt bottle, you left all the gold on the bottom of the container.

Also... you are NOT using a Benchtop convection oven! They need 10 to 12 minutes.
    You ARE using a wall oven!!. My wall oven only takes 7 1/2 minutes to bake 2 trays (5Kg total).
    So you are over baking to buggery.
    Try it again for say 8 minutes. Ensure you oven has the fan setting activated.
    How many elements are working?

Also... It looks to me as if you are actually scratching lead as well as coating off.
    Have you tried shooting any of these???
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

How big is your syringe?, you had to take 2 bites at introducing the mix. Get a 10ml Syringe so you can do it all in one bite without wasting the time to go back and get part 2 of the mix you need. Also I suggest a SQUARE bucket, as you swirl the corners actually force the cast to change position instead of "Slide" in a Circle. Once you get the process down , then maybe go back to round buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Don't knock Glocks, they shoot hi-tek coated cast alloys just fine, despite claims from manufacturers that you canst shoot any thing else in them except Jacketed.
    These days, of anti gun lobbyists complaining, any thing that can be purchased legally is great news.
    Not knocking the glocks, they are a fantasic backup unit if you drop your knife!!.....

Boolit Master
    Haters gunna hate........
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Mark. I still think it is your alloy. How about send some to me.
    Test them with hardness tester and Coat them.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Ausglock
    Not trying to argue with the Master Coater but. Go back and look at Marks last photo in post 7951. If you look top right on the bullet it looks like the coating flaked off on the fingernail test. I agree that the alloy looks soft or Mark has raptor fingernails. I wouldn't shoot it in my .308 at 2500 if my fingernails would scratch it like that. But it looks like an adhesion problem and that is usually coating too thick or not drying long enough. Also the smash test in photo two looks like it's from another batch. In that photo it looks like the coating is bubbled. Which would mean not enough drying time.

I guess that it could be contaminated lead as Joe pointed out in previous post which would make it a correct statement to say alloy problem. Having a discussion right now with Popper about adding zinc to melt so I can add copper. Another new wrinkle in the never ending casting blanket. I'm concerned that if some zinc is left in the alloy it might create adhesion problems that Joe noted. The zinc or tin is needed so that the copper will replace it in the melt.

Mark
    I know everyone is trying to get done in a hurry but you might want to try letting the first coat dry overnight or day as the case may be. Sometimes I let my first coat dry 24 hrs. And maybe a splash more solvent in the mix. More solvent will will not hurt.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 01-09-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: additional info
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy
    I only baked 20 of the 200 coated bullets,the rest are drying .I'll bake these tonight for 7-8 minutes.interestingly it was more difficult to scrape the coating off after leaving the bullets overnight.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Ausglock
    Not trying to argue with the Master Coater but. Go back and look at Marks last photo in post 7951. If you look top right on the bullet it looks like the coating flaked off on the fingernail test. I agree that the alloy looks soft or Mark has raptor fingernails. I wouldn't shoot it in my .308 at 2500 if my fingernails would scratch it like that. But it looks like an adhesion problem and that is usually coating too thick or not drying long enough. Also the smash test in photo two looks like it's from another batch. In that photo it looks like the coating is bubbled. Which would mean not enough drying time.

I guess that it could be contaminated lead as Joe pointed out in previous post which would make it a correct statement to say alloy problem. Having a discussion right now with Popper about adding zinc to melt so I can add copper. Another new wrinkle in the never ending casting blanket. I'm concerned that if some zinc is left in the alloy it might create adhesion problems that Joe noted. The zinc or tin is needed so that the copper will replace it in the melt.

Mark
    I know everyone is trying to get done in a hurry but you might want to try letting the first coat dry overnight or day as the case may be. Sometimes I let my first coat dry 24 hrs. And maybe a splash more solvent in the mix. More solvent will will not hurt.
    I'm following hiteks and ausglocks instructions closely,they said 20g/100ml