Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 37 of 742 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137537 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Grand Master

Larry Gibson had posted that lino will heat treat on its own so I am going to try it. IIRC I read that an alloy with antimony will HT, but arsenic makes it obtain full hardness faster. I know some have said it needs the arsenic, this is why I mixed it with 50% COWW for the first batch. I do have some reclaimed shot I can add if need be also.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    If you use a sstandard toaster oven it is good to have the rack that has a solid plate on the bottom with the slotted oven rack in it. I drilled holes in the solid base to help the heat circulate and it works great. I guess this rack is for broiling. My other rack for the toaster oven is a standard oven rack with the hardware cloth (1/4" mesh) and you have to really watch the temperature as the boolits right over the or under the elements can be overcooked.
    If you have a Goodwill check there as I bought my convection oven from them on a 50% off day for $3.99. On the convection ovens from what I seen the fan normally only runs in the bake position so be sure to check this.
    Thanks to all who answered my concern about the toaster oven. So basically with a toaster oven you have some boolits that over cook and others that don't cure right because of poor temp distribution in the oven?

Boolit Bub
    Not saying that you WILL, just something to watch for. Its also a really good idea to get a thermometer to ensure the temp is what you think it is. On my convection oven 400 is really 375.

so is there anybody that is doing this with just a toaster oven? Would like to hear your results.

I have an oven thermometer so I have that base covered

Boolit Buddy
    Uh, I'd say try it. I suspect you can get it to work. Use lighter colors and it'll help....

Boolit Grand Master

I use a toaster oven and a convection oven, as posted above. The temperature may vary more in the toaster oven so put the oven thermometer and watch it thru a cylce and see how it does. You may also want to move it around on the rack to check temps.

Quote Originally Posted by waltham41 View Post
    so is there anybody that is doing this with just a toaster oven? Would like to hear your results.

I have an oven thermometer so I have that base covered
    Im using a quartz element toaster oven. I posted up a pic a couple of pages back. Mine is very small with an element at the top and botom.... seems to work OK. But I am going to spring for a larger convection oven so I can do larger racks at a time.
    Last edited by fixerupper; 08-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.

I ordered a liter of red/copper today, will try a few rounds in the toaster oven while I wait for my wife to find me a convection oven at the good will or a yard sale LOL

Thanks for the advice guys, looking forward to coating some boolits.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by waltham41 View Post
    I ordered a liter of red/copper today, will try a few rounds in the toaster oven while I wait for my wife to find me a convection oven at the good will or a yard sale LOL

Thanks for the advice guys, looking forward to coating some boolits.
    Please post your goof ups. Seems everybody goofs it up on the first try or two...

Boolit Master
    Has anyone combined there PID to there oven to get a better consistent heat?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Waiting for the SSR to arrive. Going to PID my oven temp to see if it can be kept at a constant temp. As well as fitting another convection fan.
    Currently waiting for a delivery of new experimental colours from HI-TEK. I have been casting like a demon this week, to have enough bullets to test all these new colours on. I have 4000 45 and 6000 9mm bullets ready to get coated. I really need to go mine my range again.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    I will be adding convection fans & 3 PID Controllers/SSR/etc to a dedicated 220 vac double oven (one side setup for prewarming boolits prior to coating & the main oven for baking the coating). It also has a griddle/hot plate on top (for preheating molds).

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    How could someone be that stupid joe, well i guess. You could see purple wambats & green roos! I cook on back deck.
    You don't think it could happen?
    Just sayin'.

Wait! I do have a huge industrial sized smoker. Hmmm, mesquite smoke scented gold bullets.
    I wonder if there is a market???
    Last edited by BBQJOE; 08-08-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Banned

hehehehehe

off topic: magma star blue lube bullet. ?,ya have lead then blue lube ring then lead base. How come no leading? Guess the blue is on frt & base too.

Boolit Grand Master

gunoil, If you use the magma boolit lube I am about 90% certain you will have leading. I tested about 5 commercial lubes and Magma always leaded and the velocity was always lower, up to 100 fps in handguns.
    I did find a use for it though. I mix it 1/3 by weight with Carnuba Red and it withstands the heat better here in Arizona. Less sticky also.

Boolit Master
    I found that Jake's Purple Cerasin was the best of the hard lubes for hangun loads. It needs a heater to flow.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    The Oster oven I bought apparently has one built in. One reason i went for the digital display, figured it would be part of the package. You can hear the elements cycling on and off quite often during the cook.

Will be likely trying out the red copper in a "lead-o-matic" S&W 624 today. That is if the range isn't underwater and I survive the 1 1/2 drive...

Banned

Dang leadman, you'ed take the fun out of christmas. I gotta shoot a few of em, i just got the expensive thing! Heck of a lot better than alox.

LEADMAN, I now have two magma sizers. The new one is set up for HTS only. Always had lite leading back when i used alox. Less headache, i have enough blue star lube to last for year.

jmoore, iam gonna try green next or the best pistol color with no metal flake in it like copper or gold.
    Last edited by gunoil; 08-09-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Will be likely trying out the red copper in a "lead-o-matic" S&W 624 today. That is if the range isn't underwater and I survive the 1 1/2 drive...
    Did i say "underwater"? How about "undermudandtrees"?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-09 jmoorestuff 001.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	78697

Name:	2013-08-09 jmoorestuff 007.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	78698

Name:	2013-08-09 jmoorestuff 008.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	78699
    Got run off by the worry warts after only a couple of buckets. It wasn't raining at the time!

Name:	2013-08-09 jmoorestuff 018.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	78700

Name:	2013-08-09 jmoorestuff 031.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	78703

Name:	2013-08-09 jmoorestuff 029.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	78705

Name:	2013-08-09 jmoorestuff 024.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	78706

The 624 is slowly cleaning itself, thanks to the Red Copper coating, but the boolits are still a little small for it, so accuracy is not there, yet. The 629DX did well at 25 but the vertical stringing was there at 50yds again.

Name:	2013-08-09 jmoorestuff 032.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	78696

I'm thinking it's the trigger puller, but haven't nailed down the drama! The coating did it's part, though, even though the throats on the DX are somewhat smaller than the boolits. Shades of .45 Colt dimensional shifts...

The new brass allowed some boolit slippage under recoil, but it's probably won't be there afterwards. A light crimp will be used for new brass loads in the future.

So, it looks like the Hi Tek coating is going to make life easier. Shot some older type conventional loads as well and much prefer the coated boolits! Maybe the incoming .41 mould will mate with it's firearms better.

Need for things to dry out some before doing much casting. Rain all the time...

ETA: I can't figure out how to get rid of the photo below!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-08-09 jmoorestuff 023.jpg  
    Last edited by jmoore; 08-09-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added "m"

Boolit Master
    jmoore.
    Crimping on coated bullets is fine.
    My 357Sig loads get a very heavy crimp to stop bullet set-back. When a puller hammer is used to remove a bullet from a loaded round, there is a little bit of coating removed. But when fired there is not any sign of coating being removed. Maybe it is the pressure of firing that makes the case swell away from the bullets and doesn't hurt the coating. I fire 1000's of rounds out of the Glock35 in 357Sig and the barrel is shiny clean.

Revolver shooters here also crimp hard for 38 special, 357Mag and 44 Mag, 45LC etc etc. no sign of issues with coating removal.
    So...crimp that puppy to within an inch of it's life, and see how it goes
    Last edited by Ausglock; 08-09-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: fat fingers and small keys
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 37 of 742 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137537 ... LastLast