WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

A little over two years ago when I started I did read "the whole thing". And there should be a merit badge for anyone that does it now.

There is a shorter one on this site called "HI-TEK do's and don'ts". It was posted by Ausglock when the same thing was asked some time ago. It may be of some help.

Other than that ditto the above
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Doh...smart idea to remember/share that, Avenger.

I remember seeing that article and reading it and it pretty much paralleled what Donnie M sent me when I bought the stuff...

Boolit Master
    Merit Badge??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

What do you want to know???
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

How well does it hold up on high speed no GC boolits like 300 WM, Understand you are a pistol guy. Remember seeing those big piles of cut up FALs etc down under. What a waste.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
    How well does it hold up on high speed no GC boolits like 300 WM, Understand you are a pistol guy. Remember seeing those big piles of cut up FALs etc down under. What a waste.
    300 Winnie Mag would be a bit of a stretch for any coating.
    Yeah. My SLR (FN FAL) was a great rifle. Used it to shoot pigs out of a chopper back in the day.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Well isn't that the key feature of the coating is that it stretches. Oh well, got to try, maybe as you say 300WM is a bit to far. As for shooting out of choppers well check my Avatar. My favorite FAL is an Izzy Heavy barrel, thing is like a BAR, heavy. That's why I am doing 300 BLK carbines and pistol formats, you can still lift and carry them. As for HiTek, are there differences in effects, my zombie green comes in today. It appears that the metallic, like old gold, red copper or dark green are preferred, does it matter? I picked the zombie green so I can tell them apart.

Boolit Master
    The Zombie green actually has a gold metallic component in it.
    At least the ones I tested did. Might have to confirm this with HITEK Joe.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    The Zombie green actually has a gold metallic component in it.
    At least the ones I tested did. Might have to confirm this with HITEK Joe.
    The Zombie Green does have a gold metallic component effect to it.
    300 WM is indeed pushing the limits on a bullet coating. Cast them as hard as possible.

Since the pressure in a 300WM is real high and that 3000 fps casting hard is a good idea. I noticed somewhere a loading with the Hi-Tek that was using 34 BHN. I think it was in 303 Enfield. Too hard for me since I hunt with my loads. Might work on dangerous game but the white tail deer just runs too far after hit.

Another suggestion could be to apply three coats and bake them hard. You'll probably loose the green color with the longer hotter bake.

Do a few and report back what happens. Inquiring minds want to know.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

leadman is one that has shot the Hi-Tek in the 3000fps range...

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a question. So I tried something new this morning and water dropped a batch of 9mm after the third coat with Bronze. I had, for the first time in months, a failure with the bronze. Huge failure of the smash test, passed wipe. 12 Minutes @ 400F per a TC and then immediate water drop into room temp water. Wanted to try to get some extra hardness but wow what a failure, glad I only did 3 pounds. The others of the same coat/cook process passed without problems but let to air cool. Anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
    Here is a question. So I tried something new this morning and water dropped a batch of 9mm after the third coat with Bronze. I had, for the first time in months, a failure with the bronze. Huge failure of the smash test, passed wipe. 12 Minutes @ 400F per a TC and then immediate water drop into room temp water. Wanted to try to get some extra hardness but wow what a failure, glad I only did 3 pounds. The others of the same coat/cook process passed without problems but let to air cool. Anyone have any ideas?
    I'm not sure the water drop was the reason. I have water dropped probably 50% of the bullets I coat and haven't had a problem with smash test. Did it come off in big flakes all the way down to the lead?

Best I have been able to gain is 2 BHN with water drop after coat. Depends on the alloy.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 06-04-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Boolit Master

Some ideas of what may have happened.
    Did you smash test after first coat?
    1. Also, before water dropping, did you test some with smash test first, to see if coating has bonded? If smash test passed first, there should be no reason why water dropping should fail
    2. If it failed smash test, before water dropping, then water could get between coating and alloy, and, as alloy is at 200C +, the water instantly would form steam between coating and alloy, and steam/vapour would be lifting off non bonded coating.

Boolit Master
    After spending a very wet saturday cruising through posts on this thread. I am convinced that most of the issues people have with the coating is Operator error.
    Either use too much mix per coat, or do not let air dry long enough seems to be the main reasons.
    A lesser reason seems to be users not mixing large enough quantities and trying to cheapskate it by mixing tiny amounts to only coat 20 to 50 bullets at a time.

It's not rocket science.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Thats the way I see it.With the first coat,if you think you haven't put enough on it's perfect,if you think it's OK you've used too much. Pat

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    I'm not sure the water drop was the reason. I have water dropped probably 50% of the bullets I coat and haven't had a problem with smash test. Did it come off in big flakes all the way down to the lead?

Best I have been able to gain is 2 BHN with water drop after coat. Depends on the alloy.
    It was quite weird. The other 6 lbs of the same batch that was used, the ones that we air cooled, passed tests perfectly fine. The flakes were grain of sand size and numerous. Just weird in that it is the first bronze failure in 2 months unless I was trying something almost stupid like way overloading the oven.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Some ideas of what may have happened.
    Did you smash test after first coat?
    1. Also, before water dropping, did you test some with smash test first, to see if coating has bonded? If smash test passed first, there should be no reason why water dropping should fail
    2. If it failed smash test, before water dropping, then water could get between coating and alloy, and, as alloy is at 200C +, the water instantly would form steam between coating and alloy, and steam/vapour would be lifting off non bonded coating.
    It passed smash after coat 1 and coat 2. Also passed wipe after 1 and 2 I did not check prior to water dropping on coat 3 since this particular load went straight from oven into the water, others that were cooked immediately before and were air dried and using the same coating procedures passed the coat 3 smash test fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Thats the way I see it.With the first coat,if you think you haven't put enough on it's perfect,if you think it's OK you've used too much. Pat
    Yep, 1 Ml/Lb each coat 20/125 for first, 20/100 for 2 and 3. I know Ausglock does 20/100 for all 3 but I have found in my particular circumstances that it seems to work better to use thinner for the first.

Boolit Master
    Yep, 1 Ml/Lb each coat 20/125 for first, 20/100 for 2 and 3. I know Ausglock does 20/100 for all 3 but I have found in my particular circumstances that it seems to work better to use thinner for the first.
    For pistol stuff I only do 2 coats. For 44 for the Marlin 1894, I do 3 coats
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Got my oven last night and have 15lbs of 175gr 40sw to coat, about 5lbs of 135gr 9mm too.

2 questions:

What's the shelf life on the powder once mixed and placed into cleaned nail polish remover bottles?

Can I have two trays baking at a time in the oven?

Page 361 of 742 FirstFirst ... 261311351352353354355356357358359360361362363364365366367368369370371411461 ... LastLast