Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Rich, my Gunmetal boolits are what I would call an "oily black" colour (I gave up worrying about the final colour, as long as they work that's all that matters). I also found that in my little oven I had to bump the temp up to just under 250C to get the Gunmetal to get a Gunmetal colour (using a PID to control the temp). The Bronze and Zombie Green both work at "normal" temp (200C) and at that temp the Gunmetal comes out green, but still passes all three tests - wipe, smash and shooting!

Try increasing the temp a bit, I've found this stuff to be reasonably forgiving.

Boolit Master
    Had a play with the wall oven this arvo.

Managed to fry a 40 amp SSR. Hooked 2 elements to it... Didn't like it and blew the breaker.
    I now have the PID running to a 12v/240v 40 Amp SSR that in turn runs to a 240v/240v 20 Amp SSR.
    Running 2 elements from this works, but the 20 Amp SSR is getting very warm.
    Going to run a seperate SSR for each element.
    With only a top element and the fan element running, The oven reached 200 Deg C in just 2.5 minutes!!!!

Here are a couple of pics. The wireing is a mess and will be cleaned up. Need to get a few more SSR's.

This oven shows real promise. The fans pushes a huge amount of air around the oven compartment.
    The fan switch on the door that stops the fan when the door opens saves a lot of heat loss.
    Closing the door had the temp drop from 200 to 195. Recovery to 200 was 30 seconds.

I like it.....

Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
    36 hours was not by design. I just happened to coat them on tuesday and was very busy yesterday and got to baking them this morning. I have not really played with same day coat/bake yet but I will. Doing my F to C conversion it seems it is about 24-26 C. Starting in about 6 weeks we will see 95% RH and over 30 C temps. My rack that I am drying on is 1/4 hardware cloth and I have a fan I can use on it if need be. Good for brass drying as well esp since I mounted it right over the treadmill I use to spin my tumbler

Rich, looks to me like you have good start for a drying cabinet, just close the sides and add a door. I use a 110 volt heater with a fan blowing in the bottom of mine. The top needs to have an adjustable opening to regulate the heat and air flow.
    With mine the bullets can reach 130 deg F in about 30 min depending on the ambient temp, and are ready to bake. I use this when the weather is too cold or wet for outside drying.

Trevor
    Looks like you could cook several thousand at one time in that oven.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    At worst, I expect to do 2 trays of 250 each.
    At best, 4 trays of 250 each.

1000 bake per 10 to 12 minutes will make me a happy bullet maker.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    At worst, I expect to do 2 trays of 250 each.
    At best, 4 trays of 250 each.

1000 bake per 10 to 12 minutes will make me a happy bullet maker.
    Trevor

I can do almost 500 in my small little thing that I barely modified. If you cannot do 3 times that I would be amazed. Your setup is exactly what I want. Really nice.

Boolit Grand Master

Ausglock, I have found that the 20 and 25 amp SSRs do not last very long for me. Gone to using the 40amp only. That oven looks like a killer for sure!

Boolit Bub
    Can someone tell me where I can get a 9mm bullet mold with a 125gr RN and no lube groove ? I have searched high and low and can only come up with flat nose.
    Thanks please help.

Quote Originally Posted by convert69 View Post
    Can someone tell me where I can get a 9mm bullet mold with a 125gr RN and no lube groove ? I have searched high and low and can only come up with flat nose.
    Thanks please help.
    NOWHERE....Hardline only make that ,but there out off bussinues.

Boolit Master
    Thanks please help.
    Give Northern Valley Ballistics a call.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

If they cant help try MP molds in Europe or CBE here in Australia..
    Lee will remove groves for you but they charge a arm and a leg.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    CBE??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
    Will never get my money....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

CBE??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
    Will never get my money....
    Only cause they refused to make molds for your casters.... which reminds me is there a AU dealer for Balisticast or is it all over the pond kinda thing?

Boolit Master
    Ballisticast has disappeared like a fart in a hurricane.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks please help.
    Check out this mold from NEI.
    http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/356-123-bb.jpg

Ballisticast has disappeared like a fart in a hurricane.
    Wonderfull , Thanks Trev.

So does that mean if I can find one, I can derive my own version from that?

Boolit Master
    Not sure what their story is.
    Everything turned to poo awhile back.
    Then Hardline arose from the ashes and Ballisti clawed back a little.
    Hardline went the way of the dodo and Ballisti went quiet.
    NVB picked up a lot of Ballisti customers (us) and do excellent work and give fantastic service.
    NVB have some very clever people and actually care and help their customers.
    I really like Accurate Molds. Tom has quality gear. It's a shame he can't do a full round nose.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    This is totally off subject. I got to thinking. Not only do we have a great product in Hi-tek we have got the support of two experts. I am talking about Hi-tek Joe and Ausglock. Could you imagine trying to learn how to use this stuff without their support and advice. Nobody knows more about this product than these two guys. I have never pm to Ausglock,yet! I have pm to Hi-tek Joe quite a few times. Always quick answers and he takes the time to try and explain things. Gentlemen, If I could I would buy you both a beer or two or ten. Thank you both for what you do!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Slide. No Expert here, Mate.
    Just a product user.

It is the Aussie way... You help a mate out.
    I'm just passing on what I have learnt from trial and error to try and save you blokes from making the same errors.
    You lot are paying good money for your coating. I don't. (Well.... I do for the one colour I use for my production).
    So I'd rather test and see what happens and inform you lot, than have you waste your bought coating.
    HITEK sends samples and I test.
    Just came down from the shed from testing a new Powdered Black (fail) and a new Powder dark Green (pass).

So... I help where I can.
    Now... Bugger off and coat some pills.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    This is totally off subject. I got to thinking. Not only do we have a great product in Hi-tek we have got the support of two experts. I am talking about Hi-tek Joe and Ausglock. Could you imagine trying to learn how to use this stuff without their support and advice. Nobody knows more about this product than these two guys. I have never pm to Ausglock,yet! I have pm to Hi-tek Joe quite a few times. Always quick answers and he takes the time to try and explain things. Gentlemen, If I could I would buy you both a beer or two or ten. Thank you both for what you do!
    Slide, thanks much for your support.
    I am grateful I can help.
    I would be happy to share a few beers with you and many others that have put up with me.
    With Ausglock, he is a typical Aussie, willing to help others. I really like his attitude, as he states things as they are, not try and smooth talk, so I really get a good feed back with all test samples.
    He certainly keeps me on my toes.
    He started off with trying the coatings, about 3 years ago.
    We had many discussions where we exchanged data, good and bad.
    He has been certainly a "Catalyst" with motivating me to develop things further.
    He did go through some trial problems when he first started, but has learned very quickly.
    As he said, he had and advantage over all of you guys, as he had samples first to try and was relatively local to me, about 6 hours drive from us, on same time zone on the East coast.
    We could quickly exchange testing and all results.
    Now, he has become an expert in baking oven design. It really allowed test results to be compared very accurately and very reproducible.

I have thought many times about holding seminars in US about the coatings, lubes etc etc.
    Unfortunately, now, I dont like the prospect of flying any where.
    Over the years, I had flown much too many times with my work, and had been to the US, New York, Washington, South Carolina.
    Compared to good old Aus. it it was difficult for me to get used to the hectic lifestyle especially in New York.
    I am really glad that you and all others are happy with results being obtained.
    Please keep in touch.