RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
    I am guessing the coating mottled appearance is due to the very thin coatings I have to apply in order to get the bullets to pass the smash test, it seems almost anything near what you guys are using in amount causes a failure for me.
    RICH22

Which coloured coating are you using? I am wondering if you initially mixed your coating concentrate well before decanting?
    There seems to be no colour at all, even with 3 coats.
    Shake coating, should be just as long, as it requires coating of the quantity of projectiles. About 10 seconds is usually adequate.
    Drying rate conditions may govern length of time used to shake coat.
    Coating usage rate for mixture is about 6mls to 250 projectiles.

Boolit Bub
    With any luck, tell ya in 48 hrs

Uhm. How are you tumbling? Are you tumbling "aggressive" enough before the acetone flashes out? Im guessing you are using Acetone ( ? )

Tumbling for approximately 20-30 seconds right after application in a semi circular container for probably 30 revolutions and then dumping onto the hardware cloth. using acetone with a 5-1-7 mixture.

Has the coating been sufficiently agitated/shaken/mixed prior to application?

I typically shake the container before dispensing via syringe.

I am guessing the coating mottled appearance is due to the very thin coatings I have to apply in order to get the bullets to pass the smash test, it seems almost anything near what you guys are using in amount causes a failure for me.
    20-30 sec sounds like a looong time. My acetone is usually flashed off just under 10 sec. For the coating to cover the bullets good enough in that amount of time, one has to tumble quite aggressively to get good coverage (atleast my limited experience.) I also shake the syringe before applying. The powder sets in the syringe if its not moving.

Shots through a Arsenal Striken One speed model 9mm. Good result. Even with a tad smaller bullet vs rifling diameter than what is optimal. BHN 15-16
    Last edited by Kjeksen87; 02-25-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    RICH22

Which coloured coating are you using? I am wondering if you initially mixed your coating concentrate well before decanting?
    There seems to be no colour at all, even with 3 coats.
    Shake coating, should be just as long, as it requires coating of the quantity of projectiles. About 10 seconds is usually adequate.
    Drying rate conditions may govern length of time used to shake coat.
    Coating usage rate for mixture is about 6mls to 250 projectiles.
    Sir

using liquid Black.
    There is color there, it is just not a perfect coating, when I was doing heavier coats, which I was having a large failure rate, I was getting almost perfect coverage after 3 coats. The coating (color) container AKA the big 5 liter jug I got from Donnie gets shaken for about 3 minutes before I begin to measure out the quantity needed. It contains several bullets for mixing. The catalyst gets shaken for the same amount of time and has a stainless nut in it for mixing. Before coating the bullets I shake the container that has the mixture in it for a good 30 seconds usually. Found it important to have a very well fitting lid after an accident that had me cleaning up 30 square feet of garage floor.

250 projectiles of which kind? I assume 250 9mm's would require less coating than 250 of a very large caliber. 250 of my 9mm for instance is almost exactly 5 pounds. That is 1.2 ml/lb. I tried many times at 1.25 ml/lb and was getting in excess of 50% failures of the smash test even with drying for multiple days. The only way I have been able to get reliable coating success is with using coats in the range of .75 ml/lb or about 3.75 ml per 250 bullets. I tried last week coat 1 , .75 ml/lb coat 2 , 1 ml / lb, Size, coat 3, 1.25 ml/lb and I was still getting failures. I am not sure if the liquid simply needs very light coats and more of them or what but I just have no luck with heavy coats at all. I am not sure if the extreme humidity and constant moisture content in the air is causing issues as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjeksen87 View Post
    20-30 sec sounds like a looong time. My acetone is usually flashed off just under 10 sec. For the coating to cover the bullets good enough in that amount of time, one has to tumble quite aggressively to get good coverage (atleast my limited experience.) I also shake the syringe before applying. The powder sets in the syringe if its not moving.

Shots through a Arsenal Striken One speed model 9mm. Good result. Even with a tad smaller bullet vs rifling diameter than what is optimal. BHN 15-16
    I do try to tumble as quickly and aggressively as possible. I will try it out with a shorter time. I have just been doing it to when I hear a difference in tonality of the bullets which I believe is about in the 20 seconds range. I do know that when I am dumping them out that they are still "wet" as in if touched with a gloved hand some of the coating will come off onto the glove.

Boolit Bub
    I do try to tumble as quickly and aggressively as possible. I will try it out with a shorter time. I have just been doing it to when I hear a difference in tonality of the bullets which I believe is about in the 20 seconds range. I do know that when I am dumping them out that they are still "wet" as in if touched with a gloved hand some of the coating will come off onto the glove.
    Humidity might be a problem, but that is not something I have battled with. Cold weather is. The ozzies should know alot on that subject I would guess.

My bullets are tumbled to it feels a tad different and a slight sound change drops sticky down on the drying mesh. Not wet, but sticky. I stop immidiatly to tumble when the sound is changing. If tumbled to long the finish will be rough. This in my part of the world wich have almost no humidity takes less than 10 sec. 7-8 seconds more likely. That is with 1:6 mix (powder)

Are you tumbling with a lid or without? Have read about some guys tumbling with a lid, and caused alot of failures.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjeksen87 View Post
    Humidity might be a problem, but that is not something I have battled with. Cold weather is. The ozzies should know alot on that subject I would guess.

My bullets are tumbled to it feels a tad different and a slight sound change drops sticky down on the drying mesh. Not wet, but sticky. I stop immidiatly to tumble when the sound is changing. If tumbled to long the finish will be rough. This in my part of the world wich have almost no humidity takes less than 10 sec. 7-8 seconds more likely. That is with 1:6 mix (powder)

Are you tumbling with a lid or without? Have read about some guys tumbling with a lid, and caused alot of failures.
    Sticky may be a better term for it then wet, it comes off but not a great deal. Not using a lid

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I use plastic square pretzel jugs to tumble. I found adding acetone to the uncleaned jug for first application, then adding more gold (shaken well) for other coats gave me good smash test results. Never have had a wipe test failure on any - don't bother anymore. 2 really light coats of gold followed by 2 heavier coats. Still not quite 0.001" thick but I'll load & try next week. This is a repeat of testing early last year that didn't work well, thick coat passed smash but not barrel test. I'd really like this to work so I don't have to ESPC 1500 boolits I cast this week.
    In my case it is juice jugs, I usually acetone wash the jug after my last coat or I just get rid of it, I have probably over 100 sitting around. Have not tried 4 coats yet but may have to with how light I have to do it. If humidity is an issue here now, I am really not looking forward to july

Boolit Master
    You could try MEK. It won't evaporate as fast as acetone.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Grand Master

Rich22, I use a gallon paint can with a lid. The lid id important so the acetone does not flash off too fast. One thing that will cause spotty coverage is handling the boolits with bare hands too much. If I install the gas checks before coating I usually use nitrile gloves.
    If the lid doesn't help your coverage try washing your boolits with some acetone first and see if the coverage is better.

popper, try even coats of the gold to see if the problem goes away. I found that unlike the Red Copper liquid, the gold does not like thick coats.

Boolit Master
    OK..
    250 x 125gn 9mm bullets equals about 2KG of alloy.
    150 x 230gn 45 Bullets equals about 2KG of alloy.

So 6mls to the above weight of alloy works.

I decant from the 5 litre bottle to a 1 litre bottle after shaking the bejesus out of it to mix everything.
    It is easier to shake a 1litre when mixing coating.
    The 5 litre bottle will need shaking for like 10 minutes to get it all mixed. I built a bottle holder that mounts on the output shaft of a worm drive gearbox. strap the bottle to the holder and turn the sucker on and walk away for 10 minutes. come back and nicley mixed.

If your acetone is flashing off too fast, mix 20% Metho (white spirit) with the acetone, this will slow down the evaporation.

When you coat, swirl with a rotary motion. round bucket, 1 hand under it. the other holding the rim and swirl... just like "wax on...Wax off" do you get what I mean????
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I use a 144 fluid ounce(4.25L for Ausglock) plastic ice cream bucket. It has 2 on the bottom and is deep enough you won't lose any bullets when swirling. I use mek and am able to swirl a little longer than when I was using acetone. Each color has it's own bucket. I eat a lot of ice cream!

Boolit Master
    If some of you guys want to see how it is done, Gremlin640 has a really good video on youtube.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    If some of you guys want to see how it is done, Gremlin640 has a really good video on youtube.
    I think that's Gremlin460. Does he sell those kits?

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    I think that's Gremlin460. Does he sell those kits?
    Kits? as in mixing kits??

No but there is a very quick and dirty video on how easy they are to make.. will find it and toss the link in this thread..

Found it..

http://s881.photobucket.com/user/Gre...ml?sort=3&o=59
    Last edited by Gremlin460; 02-27-2016 at 01:53 AM.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Ha... the only kits Grem makes are carby kits to 2 barrel Stromies off a 186S.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

"186S"? Now there's a blast from the past, as they say.

As for mixing, I just use the little plastic yoghurt buckets that a neighbour gives me (one for each colour). Don't bother with a lid.

Boolit Master
    Hey Grem, is that lovely lady wearing the gun your wife?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    "186S"? Now there's a blast from the past, as they say.
    Yep. I had a HR sedan with worked 186S running to an Opel 4 speed. Disc brake front-end. premier bucket seats. Yellaterra head with Genie extractors and a 3/4 solid cam. 8" Torana centre wheels with Bridgestone "steel belted 60" tyres. A few virginities were lost at the drive-in in the old HR....Thong in the door to keep the interior light off... Gotta love the 1970's....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Hey Grem, is that lovely lady wearing the gun your wife?
    Yes indeed it is, Rose with her much loved S&W 1911 out of the Pro Shop..
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    I am a big fan of the 1911 myself!

Page 342 of 742 FirstFirst ... 242292332333334335336337338339340341342343344345346347348349350351352392442 ... LastLast