Page 3 of 742 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Banned

convection oven at kmart 44.00$

hi tek kit for 36$

What you skeeered of?

I ya dont want it sell it to me.

fumes on back porch are a non issue.

I got that 8 feet of wire mesh at home depot for 8$.

Want effect hp's.

Get to work.

Boolit Bub
    convection oven at kmart 44.00$

Which oven is that? The cheapest one I see on Kmart's web site is $61.99.

Curious.
    The lowest price I found online for KMart is
    Hamilton Beach 31331 Convection Toaster Oven at $56.99

and this one
    Hamilton Beach 31512 Convection 6 Slice Toaster Oven at $50.61
    http://www.sears.com/hamilton-beach-...81201?prdNo=41

Boolit Master
    Lovelife.
    I do all my coating and cooking in my shed. Virtually no fumes from the oven. The only fumes come from the acetone when you are tumble coating the bullets and the acetone flashes off. It only takes 15 to 25 seconds, so don't breath. smelted, cast and coated 1000 45 bullets last night. second coat goes on tonight.
    It is an addiction.
    I am casting just to have something to coat.
    Melting down coated bullets from range lead is no problem. the coating just sits on top of the melt with the other scrap and can be scooped off. it does not burn, smoke or melt. the coating is basically inert.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

Mine was 99$ 31100 hamiltonbeach Bigger, not sure its needed, just doing one rack at a time , Dang!, i can do 1000 in no (how many do ya need) time. Iam not a match shooter, but i do shoot alot.

If i cook couple hours, i set my stuff on covered back deck. No fumes.
    Last edited by gunoil; 06-27-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Boolit Bub
    You showed a pic of the mixing stuff... but what are they? Can't really tell from the pic. Also, what do you use to bake? You said outside, I was thinking reg oven before you said that. And if you are at Ft Bragg... I have cold beer and would love instruction on this... Just did my first batch with allox and had to wash my dies and hands for a good 30 minutes before I didn't smell it anymore!

Boolit Bub
    My first try
    Used $25 Owen from Walmart

Boolit Bub
    Even survived "hammer test"

Boolit Master
    Well done.
    They look great.
    Have you tired sizing them yet?
    I found the microgroove bullets size easier than conventional groove bullets
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

Drew, come over to the shop.

mike@harleykitplane.com

LMAO,, I'll free ya from alox. piece of cake. I know where the oven is at kmart. Wire mesh 8 dollars at home depot. I have staple air gun. Wood 10$.

Banned

This stuffs great for those who do not want to cast boolits. Just buy bulk unsized,unlubed hard cast bullets from your favorite company at lower price,, then coat.. You can have the best boolits soon as UPS TRUCK pulls up with your cast boolits and beginner kit from bayoubullets.net

May be talking my self into a lil' of the above.

This is my kit 36$ plus fedex.

Heres around 1500, 9's & 45acp

Boolit Bub
    Gunoil, I see a 1l for $68 but not the half liter $36 option on the website. Is that something I just need to email Donnie about?

Boolit Bub
    I don't size mine. They drop out of the mold close to .356 and had little bit of leading when using Alox. With HITec stuff , I've put 80 rounds thru my CZ and cleaned the barrel with bore brush in 3 strokes. Love it.

Banned

NTD, yes just call him or email and pick your color. Ya may ask him about what ausglock is talking about, "extreme catilist".

Make sure you have a convection oven. A must according to the pros. 51$ to 106$ paid and out the door. I have that yard sell fan blowing on my dry rack.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    NTD, yes just call him or email and pick your color. Ya may ask him about what ausglock is talking about, "extreme catilist".

Make sure you have a convection oven. A must according to the pros. 51$ to 106$ paid and out the door. I have that yard sell fan blowing on my dry rack.
    Hi Gunoil

You seem to be well set up. Well done.
    The extreme catalyst is a recipe that is used instead of normal catalyst, and used same way and at same addition rate as normal catalyst.
    It is used, or should be used, and can be used, in your same coatings, and applied as a very thin top coat over last coat, and over the finish coat you make with normal catalyst.

Once heat cured, the top coat using Extreme catalyst, becomes so slippery, as reported by Ausglock, that projectile slips out of your fingers.
    It makes sizing down over sized projectiles a breeze. Ausglock said that he can reduce sizing pressure nearly by half.
    The reason not much is advertised about this stuff is, that it is much more expensive than normal catalyst, and on most applications it is not required as normal catalyst/coating will do the work.
    Donnie has stocks but in limited amounts.
    Just ask him about it and see what he advises.
    HI-TEK

Boolit Master
    Just mixed up a new brew of Supercoat.
    I went for 5 parts Red/copper, 1 part Extreme Catalyst and 7 parts Acetone.

I was having issues getting coating to the crimp groove of the Lee 358 150gr RN. I just coated and cooked the first coat of this brew. I used a bit more mix in the bucket when coating and this allowed the extra brew to get to the crimp groove. First coat has cooked a honey brown colour. will apply and cook the second coat tomorrow.

This mix ratio might be good for normal catalyst as well. I'll try some with the blue/green coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    some of today's effort.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-29_12-03-28_103.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	74808
    this is with the 5,1,7, brew.

Name:	2013-06-29_15-52-45_835.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	74809

Name:	2013-06-29_15-52-19_843.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	74810

Name:	2013-06-29_15-52-29_550.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	74811

Name:	2013-06-29_15-52-34_647.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	74812

Name:	2013-06-29_15-52-40_254.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	74813
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Ausglock,
    Those are gorgeous! I bet the typical bystander wouldn't know the difference between those and jacketed.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am in the same mind set as r5r. Very interested but unwilling to jump in until I see more results. Let me explain:

From what I have read, it looks like this process (at least in the way it is being used by home casters) will do about 400-500/hr. Now that is "fast" if you are used to pan lubing or using a standard lubricator/sizer. I have a Star. So I can lube and size 800 bullets an hour with a small piece of equipment.

For 500 bullet batches (assuming oven will hold that many) Mix and apply first coat - 5 minutes, dry - 10 minutes, cook - 10 minutes, apply second coat - 5 minutes, dry - 10 minutes, cook - 10 minutes, size - 30 minutes. Total time = 80 minutes. 400/hr

By running multiple batches, you can do other operations during part of the drying/cooking - but the bottleneck is the oven - you need 40 minutes to do two batches coated twice. So, for two batches - mix and coating time 5 minutes (first batch only), drying time 10 minutes (first batch only), cooking time - 40 minutes, sizing time - 60 minutes. This yields 1000 bullets in about 115 minutes - 525/hr

So, this process is slower than a Star. In my case, I do not have a leading problem with pistol bullets, so what is the driver to change? If I am missing something, please educate me.

I would jump on this if it helped achieve better performance in rifle loads. Cost is of little concern and speed is of almost no concern. If it took 5 coats and I only produced 150 bullets per hour I would still be interested. BUT, that means pushing 2700 fps with accuracy.

This is not a criticism of Hy-Tek (or powder coating or pigglet coating) but an observation. Most of the work is being done with pistol bullets and I understand that. It is easier to work at 1000 fps or less, and more cast pistol bullets are used than rifle bullets. This process offers a significant increase in production over pan lubing or normal lubricators. Investment is low. I see it as a real "win" for a lot of bullet casters.

It is less (no??) interest for someone with a Star for producing pistol bullets. Again, if I am missing something - please let me know.
    Last edited by dverna; 06-29-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Love Life
    I'd buy an el-cheapo (full size) electric oven off of craigslist and do much more volume. That would kill the star argument and a used electric stove/oven can be bought for less than a star.

I had a star, hated it, went back to traditional lubesizers.

Does anybody on here want to send me a sample of these boolits already coated sized to either .452 (45 acp) or something for the 9mm or 38 special?

I'll pay for your time and shipping.

Page 3 of 742 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103503 ... LastLast