Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    so, anyone in canada sells your hi tek?

No not as yet.
    There is an opening for someone there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaplainJohn View Post
    Hey Trev, if you come up with a proper red and white candy cane stripe let me know... I want some boolits with Father, Son & Holy Spirit stripes for all those unclean things out there.
    The red/copper actually has traces of Pig's Blood in it.
    I sell bullets coated with it as "Infidel Projectiles".
    Praise the Lord and pass the Infidel Projectiles....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Funny you should say that Ausglock, I had a middle Eastern guy here last month trying to sell a mobile service and he saw me packing red copper 45s, I told him they were coated in pigs blood and baked he would not touch them lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    The red/copper actually has traces of Pig's Blood in it.
    I sell bullets coated with it as "Infidel Projectiles".
    Praise the Lord and pass the Infidel Projectiles....

Boolit Master
    Outstanding!!!!!!
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

LOVE IT, here's to Pig's Blood RED Pills!!!!!

Little experimenting with brown copper powder mixed with same black...4 to 1 ratio..Left batch is result ,right side is brown copper.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0824.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	117165

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Balta View Post
    Little experimenting with brown copper powder mixed with some black...4 to 1 ratio..Left batch is result ,right side is brown copper.

Name:	DSC_0824.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	117165

You have really got this down to a fine art.
    Products look great.
    Your colour experimentation seems to work OK, and I like the darker coloured Brown Copper you got with your mixed colour.
    Now that you have used them, what do you think of the products?

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    You have really got this down to a fine art.
    Products look great.
    Your colour experimentation seems to work OK, and I like the darker coloured Brown Copper you got with your mixed colour.
    Now that you have used them, what do you think of the products?
    You know that a like HiTek,Joe very much..

Banned

Cool

Hehehe! l told em it was virgin blood. LMAO.

world class infidel here.

Hi Guys,

Finally got to run my first couple batches through the oven, I have thermometer and was going to run my oven at 425 to make sure it held good temp, well it was a bit to good, my first to 2 batches were nearly gold in color, but they did pass the rub and smash.

I dialed the temp back to dead on 400 degrees at 10min, and my batch of 10mm 200g bullets looks okay?? I was very careful to go light my 1 st coat and overnight dry, the phone camera is ****, but as you can see they are very light green in color, notice a couple are more gold in color they were in a hot spot in the oven.

I gave them there second coat and they are drying overnight to bake tomorrow evening, with the 2nd coat applied they appear darker emerald green as expected.

So ....should I go a bit heavier on the first coat or stay were I'm at??

Name:	1strunhitek.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	117391
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Stay. Don't change anything.
    The gold ones are from hot spots in your oven. If you take them out at the 5 minute mark and give them a shake. then turn the tray 90degrees and put the tray back in. this seems to even out the colour.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Love Life
    ^^WHat he said. Oh, and PC sucks.

Boolit Master

Ok so after some mid to hot loads in my 45-70 I'm noticing a dark colored fouling in the bore. This was teamed up with above average smoke when shooting. (Though they were stout loads that might *** to it) Doesn't appear to be leading and cleaned out easily.
    Could that be from improperly cured first coat? Maybe some coating adhering to the bore?
    Either way after a couple dozen hot loads it cleaned out with a couple passes of a brush.
    Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Boolit Buddy
    Quick bullet sizing question with hi-tek. Have a new Kahr p380 that slugs consistently at .355. Using cast ww with Lee hardness 11-12 coated with metallic color hi-tek. Would you size casts the traditional .356? Any thoughts about going .357?

Boolit Master
    Try a handfull at each size and see what works the best.
    one of my 38 supers likes .356 the other likes .357. both barrels are .355.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Ok so after some mid to hot loads in my 45-70 I'm noticing a dark colored fouling in the bore. This was teamed up with above average smoke when shooting. (Though they were stout loads that might *** to it) Doesn't appear to be leading and cleaned out easily.
    Could that be from improperly cured first coat? Maybe some coating adhering to the bore?
    Either way after a couple dozen hot loads it cleaned out with a couple passes of a brush.
    Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
    How are you doing?
    To try and answer your questions and observations, can you please advise which coloured coating you had used?
    Also, please keep in mind, that when the coating is heat cured correctly, it does not fuse, melt with hot loads. Additional heat will in fact make coating harder, not softer, so it is unlikely that you had coating deposits inside barrel..
    If coating was not cured adequately, the heat would activate coating and it will bond to barrel, and you will find it very difficult to remove.
    However from your advice, you seemed to have easily cleaned out the residues, so it suggests that it may have not been coating deposits.
    Deposits inside barrel can be powder residues, and, no Leading also suggests that coating held up.
    I cant explain why you would have above average smoke levels.

Okay Guys,

Here are the official first runs of .44 and 10mm. I used very two thin coats of green with overnight drying, my ratio was 5-1-8 (8 acetone) to make sure I didn't go too heavy, looks to me like I may be a bit too thin in my coats?? I ran 100 round batches at 9 mins, my oven seems to heat fine, I have a thermometer inside it was solid 400F for 9mins, I think I may need to go to 8 minutes. The bullets are slick to the touch and pass smash and rub, I'm getting a little spolchly-ness, not sure how to fix that, I not going to do a third coat, cosmetically they might look better but I think it be a waste of product. Not sure why the .44 round noses, seem to have a more even finish??

Comments or critiques to improve appearances?? thanks

Name:	44coate.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	117466

Name:	10mmcoated.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	117467
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master

I'm using the liquid gold from bayou. Purchased about a year ago.
    Not sure what it could be. It didn't seem that it was leading as I could still see the rifling nice and crisp. I doubt it was coating as I remember smash testing a handful of this batch.
    I'll have to load some more and try to get a decent picture of the fouling.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmShooter View Post
    Okay Guys,

Here are the official first runs of .44 and 10mm. I used very two thin coats of green with overnight drying, my ratio was 5-1-8 (8 acetone) to make sure I didn't go too heavy, looks to me like I may be a bit too thin in my coats?? I ran 100 round batches at 9 mins, my oven seems to heat fine, I have a thermometer inside it was solid 400F for 9mins, I think I may need to go to 8 minutes. The bullets are slick to the touch and pass smash and rub, I'm getting a little spolchly-ness, not sure how to fix that, I not going to do a third coat, cosmetically they might look better but I think it be a waste of product. Not sure why the .44 round noses, seem to have a more even finish??

Comments or critiques to improve appearances?? thanks

Name:	44coate.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	117466

Name:	10mmcoated.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	117467

They look great to me.
    My only observations are that some (few) are more Yellow looking.
    That is normally associated with hot spots in oven. It is easily cured by taking out tray at half way point, and shake and return tray to next half of cook.
    Roughness, may be simply that coating was starting to dry before placing onto drying mesh.
    This tends to leave small lumps, (touch marks), which do not level and flow out with baking.
    After two coats, and with sizing, all bearing surfaces should be polished and glassy smooth.
    Other areas, this appearance is not problematic, only that its is not so smooth and shiny.
    You are doing just fine.
    If it shoots well, it is all a bonus......

Boolit Master
    gunoil, where did you find a virgin, they are rarer than rocking horse poop.

Page 204 of 742 FirstFirst ... 104154194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214254304704 ... LastLast