WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 16 of 742 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116516 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Anyone tired coating Pure lead and seeing how fast you could push it before it starts to lead?

Boolit Master
    the yellow went a medium tan when 2 coats were cooked. Looks good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-16_20-26-45_938.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	76269
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    I did the same thing yesterday and had identical results. 375 does seem to anneal them back.
    My test indicates the same.
    Last edited by Jumbopanda; 07-16-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Anyone tired coating Pure lead and seeing how fast you could push it before it starts to lead?
    I think with very low pressure stuff it is feasible. I highly doubt it with 9mm and 40. 45 acp does fine with 9-11 bhn. 9mm and 40 take alot more coating to keep it from leading at an 11.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

I think with very low pressure stuff it is feasible. I highly doubt it with 9mm and 40. 45 acp does fine with 9-11 bhn. 9mm and 40 take alot more coating to keep it from leading at an 11.
    I tried that test with Piglet Coat and 9mm's and it resulted in a total failure. My impression was that the coating didn't matter as much as the softness of the boolit did. It seems like the soft boolits were being deformed in the bore, resulting in keyholing and horrible accuracy down range.

I'd be interested to see if Hi-Tek makes a difference, but I'm betting not.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I cast some boolits yesterday, heat treated them last night, and coated them today. The original alloy is 11 BHN that heat treated to 22. After coating the BHN returned to 11! I will continue to check them in a week and see if any hardness returned to them.

I took some different boolits that were air cooled and coated and heated them to about 450 degrees for one hour. Then I quenched them in about 90 degree water. I knew this was bad as they were not the red copper color but had turned black. Some of the coating came off in the water. When I hit one on the nose with a hammer the coating flaked off big time.

I will run a test like the first one where the boolits maintained the water quenched hardness and see if I can duplicate it. These boolits were water quenched from the mold, coated and then tested. The original BHN of the alloy was 11, and WQ'd to 18.
    How about a test where you water quench when removing the boolits from the oven following their second baking? That test is on my to-do list, but if you beat me to it, I won't complain

Boolit Master

I dont know, but Ausglock did test soft alloys with Hi-Tek coating. The only problem he experienced that he sized the projectile incorrectly. Thereafter all was well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    How about a test where you water quench when removing the boolits from the oven following their second baking? That test is on my to-do list, but if you beat me to it, I won't complain
    You might be onto somethin' there, bud! Checkin' into this thread several times a day now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    You might be onto somethin' there, bud! Checkin' into this thread several times a day now.
    Been there done that. No discernable difference. I dont think it gets hot enough. Now quenching after every bake is not something I have tried. Seems like a bunch of work waiting to dry etc. Tell you what I have found.....Coating a very soft bullet and then traditionally lubing as well lets you run some really upper end stuff fast with no leading. Hot 41 mag or 44 so far. Still experimenting in this realm. Got some 41 mag 220 grain and some .308 ready to go right now. might be a day or so until I get to testing this some more. Would be nice to push these softer .308 above 2400 or so. We will see. Yes the .308 are gas checked as well. Triple redundancy I guess.

Love Life
    Very interesting there Kweidner. That could be an option if you don't have any "hard" lead alloy. I would think sticking to COWW or Hardball alloy, and then coatinig it, would cover just about anything handgun related you would need. I used to run hardball full throttle in the 454 casull using speed green or Lotak Hard with no leading. Took a bit of work to get there, but I got it done!!

The advantage I am looking forward to is a cleaner reloading process. No matter how carfully I lube my boolits I still end up wiping bases off after lubing, and then wiping the loaded cartridge with mineral spirits after loading. This will get rid of that.

My coating should be here this week, and after I get past the learning curve I can experiment with rifle stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Syringe kits shipped!

The postal service has in their possession syringe kits for the following members:

Love Life
    Prickett
    Copper75
    Mike Hughes
    Kbstenberg
    JD43

I'll have to wait until next week before I can ship anymore kits prior to receiving compensation for shipping cost. I'm on a (very!) limited income and I used up about a third of my weekly allowance to ship these six this morning.

I appreciate your patience, fellas. I'm doin' my best to get these syringe kits out to y'all so you can get started on this.

Boolit Bub
    Oi, I can't wait to get started on this. I have everything I need short of a few sizing dies. Need to get my shop setup finished tomorrow...

Banned

Cool

lovelife,leadman. discover card burnt around the edge. It will be here in 4 days, Star mails tomorrow. $775.00 TTD. hehehehe, cant take it with ya. Can ya? You people are pushers. hehehe.

3month waite.

Love Life
    Gunoil- While your at it with the plastic, how about throwing a set of Detsch swage dies in 308 and 6mm on there for me?

Banned

they dont sell those.

Love Life
    I figured it was worth a try...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    I dont know, but Ausglock did test soft alloys with Hi-Tek coating. The only problem he experienced that he sized the projectile incorrectly. Thereafter all was well.
    I didn't try pure (5BHN) lead. It is a bugger to get to fillout the mold correctly. I tried 10BHN in 9mm,40 and 45.
    The 45 is fine. no worries. The 9mm and the 40 had no leading, but were not accurate. The 40 was the worst.

I have since moved to 15 BHN 92,6,2 alloy. 5 Lino and 5 Pure lead.
    Going to do some waterdropping of WW/lead alloy 5 WW to 3 Purelead and see what happens. then coat them all for the 40S&W.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

I have some pure lead Lee 93gr RN coated up to try in my little H&R 32 S&W and my Nagant revolvers. Might shoot some of them thru my Contender 300 Whisper carbine barrel to see what happens at higher than 1,000 fps velocity.

I did water quench a 11 bhn alloy between coating and it had no effect on the hardness.
    Last edited by leadman; 07-18-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Banned

I sure do not miss the alox smoke at the range. Hell, i can see.

No choking, people leaving, no headaches, no alox throat cancer, etc..