Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 15 of 742 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115515 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I tested some water quenched from the mold boolits today that had been coated 3 times. They came out the same 18BHN as some of the same batch that had not been coated. Nice to have a hardness tester that reads correctly now.
    If I'm understanding you, you water dropped after casting, but then stuck those same boolits in the oven to bake the coating (3 times)?

If so, I wonder why the baking didn't "undo" the water hardening.

I've been wondering whether water dropping from the final baking would make a difference.

Love Life
    Gunoil- How are the lee sizers slow? Does it take a ridiculous amount of force to push the coated bullets through the lee sizers? I can really churn through some bullets on lee sizing dies!!

I'll have my coating soon...
    Last edited by Love Life; 07-14-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Gunoil- How are the lee sizers slow? Does it take a ridiculous amount of force to push the coated bullets through the lee sizers? I can really churn through some bullets on less sizing dies!!

I'll have my coating soon...
    I can run 100 through a lee in under 4 minutes. Slick as snot.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Grand Master

Plastic syringes for measuring?

I've got a metric ton of brand new plastic syringes in three sizes, 10 Ml., 20 Ml.-3/4 oz. & 30 Ml.-1 oz. Can these be used for measuring small amounts of the coating for small batches?

If so, I've got more than enough to share with everybody. I could get two of each size in a small FRB. All I would ask is reimbursement on the shipping cost.

I have no intention or desire to make a penny's profit on this. I'm just thinkin' if these would work for small batch applications, I got a gracious plenty to go around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2024-e1373821104515.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	76146

Love Life
    If they work Jim I would like some. I bought some condiment bottles (see my previous posted picture), and Ausglock said they have to be PET plastic or the mix will eat them. I bout a glass measuring cup that measures in ounces and TBS to get my ratios right and then pour them into the squeeze bottles.

I need to google my squeeze bottles to make sure they are good to go.

Boolit Master
    I use lawrys marinade bottles and small dawn bottles with no ill effect. I also use tsp measuring from local pharmacy. Comes with pepto etc.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    The plastic bottles I tried first went soft and sort of melted. That is why I now use plastic Coke bottles. Thet are easy to get and cost nothing.
    Those syringes are exactly what I have and work great. With the long blunt needle, you can suckup 5ml and this is enough to coat 300 9mm bullets. 10ml will coat 300 45 bullets. this allows you to accurately coat and get consistant coating colour when using the 5-1-7 mix.

The experimental blue was way too thick and baked very dark (almost black). I have thinned it to 5-1-10 and have coated 200 9mm bullets to be baked tonight.
    It still looks too thick. Might even thin to 5-1-15 and try another lot.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master
    I forgot to mention, the red plastic tubes that come with spray cans like WD-40 and brake cleaner will fit inside the nozzles of the syringes I have. It's a tight fit, but that's good, they don't fall out.

Banned

Dang u guys must sell a lot or shoot alot. 1000 of each will last me a few weeks. (9,45,380)

lovelife; after 2 years of lee sizer, its time to move on.
    I have rod ends,rod,cam ends. Gonna have to shop catalog for motor and counter. Someone else posted counter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXbLxgJnBnI

Cant get 1050 til i sell scooter.

Everyone should watch all youtubes and vids on here. Comment, thats how we learn. Or put some of your pics up ir your videos.

Boolit Grand Master

I had water dropped a batch of boolits, then coated part of them 3 times and put them in a marked plastic bag. I also took some of the same batch that were uncoated and put them in another marked plastic bag. Wrote the date on both and tested twice, about one week in-between. The final result was both plastic bags of boolits tested at 18 BHN. This alloy is 11 BHN air cooled.
    So with at least that batch the baking 3 times did not anneal or slow down the hardening.
    I am going to heat treat a batch of boolits and use the same process to test them and see what happens. I will post the results later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I've got a metric ton of brand new plastic syringes in three sizes, 10 Ml., 20 Ml.-3/4 oz. & 30 Ml.-1 oz. Can these be used for measuring small amounts of the coating for small batches?

If so, I've got more than enough to share with everybody. I could get two of each size in a small FRB. All I would ask is reimbursement on the shipping cost.

I have no intention or desire to make a penny's profit on this. I'm just thinkin' if these would work for small batch applications, I got a gracious plenty to go around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2024-e1373821104515.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	76146
    Hi Jim, that is a generous offer. I am planning on doing a lot of this coating and the syringes should be helpful for getting consistent results. If you have a paypal account, I can instant transfer shipping cost to you or I can send it in the mail
    Thanks
    Mike

Jim
    I'd love to get a set of those from ya.
    Just let me know how you'd like me to send $ for shipping.
    I can do Paypal or ill mail it to ya.
    Thanks for the generous offer.
    Copper
    Copper75

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

I got a few hundred .452 RN done this afternoon. With range lead out of a lee 6 banger they're dropping 224 gr.
    I've gotta pick up a new oven tomorrow and them I'm just waiting for FedEx to deliver my coating from Donnie.
    It's gonna be an eventful week in northeast Tx. Hopefully I will be able to shoot the 45s and some 300 blackout 230 gr I've got waiting to be coated next weekend.
    Copper75

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't use Paypal, fellas. I apologize if that's an inconvenience for ya'. Send me a PM and I'll send you all the information you need.

No need to get in a rush an' dogpile me. I got scads of these things an' I ain't likely to run out tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master

Update on syringe kits

In going through the bags of syringes, I discovered I have four sizes, not three. Syringe kits will have two of each: 5 Ml., 10 Ml., 20 Ml. & 30 Ml. I'm not finding near as many of the 5 Ml. as the other sizes. I'll include this size until I run out.

I'll be leaving for the post office about 10 AM tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. If you want in on this, please send me a PM, preferably by this evening, with your name and address so I can get your box packed and labeled. My next trip into town will be Friday.

Thanks, fellas.

Boolit Mold
    PM sent.
    thank you so much.

Hebegebes

Moderator Emeritus

Same here with the pm - thanks

Boolit Master
    HI-TEK sent some very bright Yellow to try and a few different reds.
    I'm cooking tonight. So I'll have a few photos up tomorrow.

I hope it stays yellow and doesn't go gold when cooked.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

I cast some boolits yesterday, heat treated them last night, and coated them today. The original alloy is 11 BHN that heat treated to 22. After coating the BHN returned to 11! I will continue to check them in a week and see if any hardness returned to them.

I took some different boolits that were air cooled and coated and heated them to about 450 degrees for one hour. Then I quenched them in about 90 degree water. I knew this was bad as they were not the red copper color but had turned black. Some of the coating came off in the water. When I hit one on the nose with a hammer the coating flaked off big time.

I will run a test like the first one where the boolits maintained the water quenched hardness and see if I can duplicate it. These boolits were water quenched from the mold, coated and then tested. The original BHN of the alloy was 11, and WQ'd to 18.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I cast some boolits yesterday, heat treated them last night, and coated them today. The original alloy is 11 BHN that heat treated to 22. After coating the BHN returned to 11! I will continue to check them in a week and see if any hardness returned to them.

I took some different boolits that were air cooled and coated and heated them to about 450 degrees for one hour. Then I quenched them in about 90 degree water. I knew this was bad as they were not the red copper color but had turned black. Some of the coating came off in the water. When I hit one on the nose with a hammer the coating flaked off big time.

I will run a test like the first one where the boolits maintained the water quenched hardness and see if I can duplicate it. These boolits were water quenched from the mold, coated and then tested. The original BHN of the alloy was 11, and WQ'd to 18.
    I did the same thing yesterday and had identical results. 375 does seem to anneal them back.

Page 15 of 742 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115515 ... LastLast