RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 14 of 742 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114514 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

All of these .. $35 ovens are toaster ovens I'm guessing? What kind of luck are people having using toaster ovens as opposed to convection ovens? BTW Donnie rocks , he's open to just about anything sale wise, 1/2 liter here , some of this , some of that ..

Love Life
    It is counter top convection oven. I should have been more clear on that.

Banned

I was thinking "Easy Bake" but glad you clarified that. Looks like you are set for launch.

Boolit Grand Master
    Black & Decker convection toaster oven at Wally World.

It's not huge, but I can afford it and it'll get me started.

Boolit Master
    Her are the ones I use. Little bit more expensive but very accurate after first warm up. In other words on both of mine 375 is + or - 5 degrees. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1132 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	76089
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Man
    No FPS as have no chronograph, sorry (for the soup can load)

If you shake until tacky you will get a rough coat, I am shaking until covered and them dumping without going tacky.

The finish is mirror smooth then!

Also, initially I was shaking til very tacky to scoop up the colour from the mixing bowl, this just put nasty scrunge in the lube grooves.

I bake in the wifes oven, the smell goes away

Love Life
    That's the one I got Jim.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SpotHound View Post
    No FPS as have no chronograph, sorry (for the soup can load)

If you shake until tacky you will get a rough coat, I am shaking until covered and them dumping without going tacky.

The finish is mirror smooth then!

Also, initially I was shaking til very tacky to scoop up the colour from the mixing bowl, this just put nasty scrunge in the lube grooves.

I bake in the wifes oven, the smell goes away
    Mine I use specifically for coating. Beware stainless will turn slightly brown from chemicals baking doing it a bunch. I have coated 8000 or so in my little ones and both have a slight brown tint on the stainless. My wife would beat the brakes off of me if I used hers. She does let me anneal my brass for swaging in hers as It gets cleaned in the process but The brass has to be spotless. My little ovens don't get that hot.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Love Life
    WHEW! Finally done for the day. I got my racks built and cast up 40 pounds of 230 gr RN bullets. Tomorrow will be 358429 day.

Boolit Master
    G'day.
    My stainless oven is now a brown colour around the door and the controls on the right side. The oven does smell of burnt snot. I would not do it in an oven used for food prep.

Make sure your coating mix bottles are PET plastic, or the mix could eat your plastic bottle. This is why I use 600ml coke bottles. The poptop caps on bottled water will screw on to Coke bottles. 10ml syringe with a long blunt needle is great for decanting the components. one syringe for each part keeps the housekeeping up to par.

Always put 2 bullets in the bottles of catalyst and colour resin to ensure they are mixed fully.

If you think the coating looks too good when you first apply the coating, then it is way too thick. Add 50% more acetone.

I have some photos to put up later of todays range shoot. Grouping at 25 yards is fantastic. 38 Super racegun at major power factor 125gr RN at 1350 FPS shot tight group from a sandbag.
    I fired red, blue, green, Maroon, black, red/copper in all different loads and all different guns. This coating is bloody fantastic. There is no way in hell I will ever go back to messy lubes.
    I even have 4 people today ask me to supply them with coated bullets.
    Time to get serious about production.

Photos will be up later tonight. I have to process the RAW files.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

i know i feel better, away from handling all those lead bullets and alox. I have 800$ magma star coming next week. It has a heater and blue lube, i want be using ! Waited over 90 days. Dang discover card.

Love Life
    Gunoil-Sell the star and put it towards your Super 1050!!

After loading today and not having to wipe out my dies or wipe off the loaded rds with mineral spirits I am happy. I will be shooting them tomorrow.

I think about all the wiping I did using traditional lube. Wipe the base after it comes out of the sizer, wipe the loaded rds off, clean the dies, waxy residue on my firearms after shooting, smoke, etc. Soon I shall be happier than a fat kid with a cupcake!!

Boolit Master
    The testing today went great.
    All bullets were sized to .356.
    All testing done at 25 yards on an IPSC Classic Target (all "A" Zone hits).
    Note that the target patches are 1" in dia.
    All testing done in a Kimber Stainless Target II in 38 Super.
    And an SVI single stack Racegun with 4 port compensator in 38 Supercomp.

I also pumped the remaining rounds through a Para P (something) in 38 Super.
    All up, over 200 rounds were fired with Zero leading in any gun.
    I love this supercoat.

The New Black: Lee 125gr RNFP .358 sized down to .356

Black with normal catalyst shot well. Barrel clean and reasonably accurate. See pic 1. Average Velocity was 1150 FPS
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	76126
    Black with extreme catalyst shot better. Barrel clean and accurate. See pic 2. Average Velocity was 1145 FPS

Name:	pic 2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	76127
    Black with 2-Extreme catalyst shot great. Barrel clean and very accurate. See pic 3 Average Velocity was 1155 FPS

Name:	pic 3.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	76128
    The dog dick red shot great and very accurate. Barrel clean. Lee 120gr Con
    The red/maroon was the same very good accuracy and clean. See pic 4 Average Velocity was 1147 FPS Lee 120gr Con

Name:	pic 4.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	76129
    The blue also shot great and was clean. See pic 5 Average Velocity was 1152 FPS Lee 120gr Con

Name:	pic 5.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	76130
    The blue/green was coated on a Lee 125gr Round nose bullet and fired from an SVI racegun at 1350FPS at major power factor.
    These grouped bloody fantastic. See pic 6

Name:	pic 6.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	76131
    All the loads had 10 shots fired from a rest at the target and another 10 fired off hand to check for smoke.
    All loads gave very little smoke. I was going to take photos of the smoke, but it wasn't worth it. Tried a few times, but the smoke would not show up on the photo. All you could see was sky.The only fouling in the barrels was powder fouling.
    The 4 port compensator on the Racegun was clean with no lead buildup at all.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

There is no way I would cure this coating in an oven used for food also. Don't know what is in the coating but just the acetone alone is a problem. I'll ask Donnie for an MSDS to see what the chemicals and precautions are, something I should have done earlier. I was a certified OSHA hazardous waste worker and was in a safety position with the city I worked for for awhile. Guess I have been retired too long (not) and forgot to ask for the MSDS.

For those looking to get on board with this product check out Goodwill, thrift stores, garage sales, etc. for your oven. I paid $3.99 at Goodwill for my convection oven. I already had a small toaster oven I had used for powder coating. The toaster oven works ok, just have to watch the cook time closer since it will start to darken the boolits under and over the heating elements quicker.

I tested some water quenched from the mold boolits today that had been coated 3 times. They came out the same 18BHN as some of the same batch that had not been coated. Nice to have a hardness tester that reads correctly now.

Banned

"I'll ask Donnie for an MSDS to see what the chemicals and precautions are, something I should have done earlier."

Good idea as users will breath and absorb it.

Moderator Emeritus

I know there was talk of using this on the .224 - has anyone actually tried it and what were the results? Interested to see how high fps's would go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post

I tested some water quenched from the mold boolits today that had been coated 3 times. They came out the same 18BHN as some of the same batch that had not been coated. Nice to have a hardness tester that reads correctly now.
    They didn't soften? Nice to know we can waterdrop. Thats what I get for assuming! Thanks leadman. I will run a little experiment tomorrow. ........er today......In a couple hours

Boolit Grand Master
    Thank, fellas, for the reports on the oven smell. Now we know a dedicated oven is part of the equipment.

I just saw Wally World had a convection oven for $39+. Before that all I saw was toaster ovens in the price range with the convection ovens running $60 +/-
    Thanks .. K
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    It is counter top convection oven. I should have been more clear on that.

Banned

love life , (Its real that some molds drop so good that people dont have to size, i like to size)
    1)i agree & what sizer are you using? I hate sticky, smelly bullet lube too.
    2) Still have to size, (Lee sizers are a pain and slow) but just need a sizer.
    3) I like the nose-down with bullet tube feeds for small and large pistol on Magma.

4)Believe me, i have tossed and turned. I thought bought just go to my bank for 1050.
    5) I had called M Star and cancelled the lube,heater,air then called back and told em to put back on.
    6)I like this: with some changes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJOkb3RxrZE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NdY15RstE
    7) give me some ideas, like just using a used star sizer?
    8) We are all in the same boat.

Back to 4 day work week at ft bragg. Iam beat, kinda glad!
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-14-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Page 14 of 742 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114514 ... LastLast