MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks blokes
    I realise I don't need to have the lube groves all coated for it to work so its really just a cosmetic issue not a performance problem but I would like to sort it if I can.
    Already using 5-1-7 so I might try 5-1-10 use the same volume of mixed product and see what happens. Interestingly I have used 3 coats of the gold metallic and copper bronze without issues so for me it is only with the blue green it is happening.
    Worst case I just stick with the 2 coats and keep the 20% that don't end up with total coverage for my own use.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 220 View Post
    Thanks blokes
    I realise I don't need to have the lube groves all coated for it to work so its really just a cosmetic issue not a performance problem but I would like to sort it if I can.
    Already using 5-1-7 so I might try 5-1-10 use the same volume of mixed product and see what happens. Interestingly I have used 3 coats of the gold metallic and copper bronze without issues so for me it is only with the blue green it is happening.
    Worst case I just stick with the 2 coats and keep the 20% that don't end up with total coverage for my own use.
    Have been thinking about what you had experienced.
    The Gold, & Bronzed Copper both have much higher heat reflecting property to the Blue/Green.
    It may be a simple thing like your actual oven temperature cycling with your thermostat that may be allowing excessive heat variation during bake.
    The metallics due to heat reflecting property, would cope much better with larger heat variations during cycling of thermostat.
    I am not sure, but it certainly seems that way to me.
    If trying to get strong coloured coatings with Blue/Green, to compare with coverage of the metallics, it certainly is steering me towards a scenario of use of too much coating thicknesses with the Blue/Green.
    It would be great if you can try to do some comparisons with a more diluted system, and post your results.
    Would be happy to assist as possible.

Dark green works fine for me but sometimes the lube grooves don't get coated. Makes no difference. Sometimes they don't even come out very green but they still shoot fine.
    Whatever!

Banned

Exclamation

LL, & others. That company has nothin to do with balistacast.

Not even on same side of the river.

Banned

Popper, u own a loadmaster?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    It may be a simple thing like your actual oven temperature cycling with your thermostat that may be allowing excessive heat variation during bake.
    Don't think it is oven fluctuations, using a breville smart oven and it is very consistent with temp.
    Over cooking could be a possibility, 10 min at 190c but I do sit the next batches on top of the oven to ensure they are dry and for some pre heating. They are quite hot when they go in, not sure on what temp but to hot for a bare hand to hold so above 60c.
    I will try 3 coats but at a thinner rate so I'm putting on the same volume of product in 3 coats instead of 2. If I was to play with temp or bake time would you start with reducing time before temp?

Boolit Master

Don't think it is oven fluctuations, using a breville smart oven and it is very consistent with temp.
    Over cooking could be a possibility, 10 min at 190c but I do sit the next batches on top of the oven to ensure they are dry and for some pre heating. They are quite hot when they go in, not sure on what temp but to hot for a bare hand to hold so above 60c.
    I will try 3 coats but at a thinner rate so I'm putting on the same volume of product in 3 coats instead of 2. If I was to play with temp or bake time would you start with reducing time before temp?
    I would like to see a picture after 1 coat and then 2 coats before I can have any real idea of what is happening and what adjustments are required to make product comply.

Pre-Heating so that you cant pick them up is not necessary, and may be a problem, as you may be evaporating some of the materials that are required to correctly set coating during bake cycle.
    If they are already hot, when you place product into the oven, then your cook times at 200C may be far too long.
    Do not adjust temperature but if you continue to pre heat, then reduce your oven times, by a minute at a time, until you get right results.
    Change only one parameter at a time. That way you can easily identify causes and results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Grem. no problem
    I cast at .359-.360 and size to .3565 with no problems at all.
    2 coats.
    Thanks Trev, this barrel (match) just a fraction tight in the last 20thou of chambering with a 358 pill, and I just don't want to crimp anymore harder than its got, OAL is short enough to give clearance..

End result, they just plain to fat for this one LOL.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    LL, & others. That company has nothin to do with balistacast.

Not even on same side of the river.
    Thanks for the info. As good as that mould looks I don't care who made it. I just want one!!

Boolit Master

If you have any issues with hard sizing on oversized bullets I use a little Dillon case lube and I can size down a few thou with next to no effort.
    Barely leaves any residue on the bullets too.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    If you have any issues with hard sizing on oversized bullets I use a little Dillon case lube and I can size down a few thou with next to no effort.
    Barely leaves any residue on the bullets too.
    I use Hornady Unique on every 10th bullet or so if needed. I then give the bullets an alcohol bath after sizing.

Just FYI, but I did a bad batch of bullets for the 45 acp awhile back ad had bad flaking and failure on the swipe test. I loaded and shot them with no leading. Pretty neat.

Next up to test is 1 coat of HT with the 45 acp.

Boolit Master
    HI-TEK makes a sizing lube. you spray it on and size away. going from .360 to .356 is a 1 finger effort.
    that stuff is worth it's weight in gold.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Tried 5-1-10 today with the blue green with success.
    Using the same volume of mixed HT (7ml) per 2.5kg boolits, first batch I still had a bit of product in the bottom of my swirling bucket so cut back to 6ml for subsequent batches. I actually got more even coverage with 6ml the 5-1-10 than with 7ml 5-1-7, as you can imagine it was a lighter coat but 2 coats gave me 100% coverage on 95% or more boolits.
    I did give one batch a 3rd coat just to see what would happen and they passed the smash test.
    Looks like my problem was that the thickness I was putting on was to much for 3 coats.
    I still think I may be over cooking some boolits, with lighter boolits (around 100gr) I'm still getting a small percentage that are a darker almost golden colour.
    Still cooking for 10min at 190c
    I'll try to put up some pictures latter tonight.
    Last edited by 220; 03-27-2014 at 03:52 AM.

Boolit Master

Tried 5-1-10 today with the blue green with success.
    Using the same volume of mixed HT (7ml) per 2.5kg boolits, first batch I still had a bit of product in the bottom of my swirling bucket so cut back to 6ml for subsequent batches. I actually got more even coverage with 6ml the 5-1-10 than with 7ml 5-1-7, as you can imagine it was a lighter coat but 2 coats gave me 100% coverage on 95% or more boolits.
    I did give one batch a 3rd coat just to see what would happen and they past the smash test.
    Looks like my problem was that the thickness I was putting on was to much for 3 coats.
    I still think I may be over cooking some boolits, with lighter boolits (around 100gr) I'm still getting a small percentage that are a darker almost golden colour.
    Still cooking for 10min at 190c
    I'll try to put up some pictures latter tonight.
    Thanks for update and great news.
    Now my only other suggestion is, that at half way point of cooking, simply take out tray/mesh, (with gloves) shake them around and place back into oven at right angles to previous position and finish bake.
    That way you get more even cooking and baked finish, and more even coloured finishes..
    It seems that despite your oven working OK, you may be either overloading slightly, or you may have possibly uneven air circulation around trays/mesh, due to uneven layering on trays/mesh...
    Looking forward to photos.

Banned

Dont forget LLife, the hi tek 5000 mold lube,,, love that stuff. No more oil'ly, grease, burnt lookin molds. Its white and super thin. Spray can or swab it on.

Mold may be here tomorrow.

Gun oil - only loadmaster I know about is an old plane.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    I have been lurking here for some time and the product sounds great. I cant wait to try it! My only question is has any one used a Nitride finished barrel with the coated pills?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    The question remains,

Is Hardline Industries mold making business in ND related either past

or present to Ballisti-Cast emplyees.

The IRON molds look like Ballisti-Cast's, on their Facebook page information

Says they manufacturer, Bullet Casting Bullet Molds, Bullet Casting

Machines, Lubing machines, so what's up.

This business was possibly established last Aug,

The time frame of the Ballisti-Cast family feud and breakup.

Ballisti-Casts updated information page by Bill Sand (the father)

Says Ballisti-Cast is working with another CNC machine shop

to clear up the previously ordered molds.

Their location is very near the city that Ballisti-Cast is located in ND.

Does anyone have any info on this company, all they have is a limited info Facebook page?
    Derrik and Mike had a falling out with Bill and Bill locked them out. M&D started their own company called Hardline Industries. They are making bullet molds, casting, and sizing machines.

I will let you know how the molds work as they are sending me some prototype 300 blackout mold to trial.
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Master

How much does the extreme catalyst help sizing?
    I have noticed some resistance when sizing, without having the traditional lube bullet to pass through every 25 or so sizings it is a little tougher to size these.
    I have used the dillon case lube with great results but would like to avoid the stickiness.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    How much does the extreme catalyst help sizing?
    I have noticed some resistance when sizing, without having the traditional lube bullet to pass through every 25 or so sizings it is a little tougher to size these.
    I have used the dillon case lube with great results but would like to avoid the stickiness.
    Give them a tumble in rubbing alcohol after sizing and dump on a paper towel. No more stickiness.

Page 134 of 742 FirstFirst ... 3484124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144184234634 ... LastLast