MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 11 of 742 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    South Louisiana, right between New Orleans and Baton Rouge
    I stopped by Donnie's today and bought some red copper coating to play around with

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Has anybody used the black coating yet? I bet it would sweet!!

I will do some hollow point testing when I get order some coating. I cast mine from 30:1 lead:tin.

Also is there any gain with the extreme catalysts? Do you get higher velocities, better coverage, etc? Is the only benefit easier sizing?
    To answer your questions about Extreme and 2-Extreme Catalysts here are some of my observations and comments.
    First, if any lube is more slippery, it does not necessarily translate into faster speeds.
    I will try to explain. The lube/coating on alloy, must provide adequate resistance inside barrel to allow maximum pressures to build up, to get speed and accuracy required.
    If lube is so slippery, that it overcomes frictional resistance, the results may become erratic with speed and accuracy as pressure build up is much reduced as projectile is already moving with minimal resistance.
    The search for best lubricant system has been on the agenda for many years.
    Main reason is that people wanted the alloys to slip through the gun, without leaving deposits, and using a lube or coating that achieves that end is what is ideally required. Clean guns, no wear, No Leading etc etc.
    The search was to find something that stays on alloy, provides lubrication, not affected by heat and friction, and leaves guns clean and produces accuracy, and provide engineering for coorect operation of guns with alloy of choice.
    Using Extreme Catalyst, in the HI-TEK provides additional lubrication, that helps size oversized projectiles that require major reduction in diameters. It reduces the heavy loads on sizing punches, gearboxes driving machinery and minimises punch damage at rear of alloy during sizing.
    Also, as many are using the Wax lube sizers which have long internal surfaces, and you can get two or three projectiles inside these sizers at the same time.
    During sizing, this tends to damage the nose of the projectiles and rear of projectiles by high resistant pressures being built up in the long surfaces of the sizing dies..
    Using coatings with Extreme Catalyst, eliminates high pressure loads with these type of sizers, and alloys are not damaged at front or back during sizing.
    With the 2-Extreme Catalyst, you get all the benefits of the Extreme Catalyst, and get far superior metal separation when using alloy in high energy loads as with rifle ammo, and is not affected with extreme heat generated with high velocity and high firing rates that produce very hot barrels.

With standard Catalyst, it works well in majority of applications, but now, you have the choice and ability to use stuff that will help with certain applications where there had not been any satisfactory results in the past.

Love Life
    Thank you for the very in depth answer. If I have this right, that means I can buy the coating and both catalysts, and mix up what I need at the time to suit the purpose. Extreme for pistol and low pressure stuff, and extreme 2 for rifle stuff.

Thank you,
    Dick

Boolit Master

Thank you for the very in depth answer. If I have this right, that means I can buy the coating and both catalysts, and mix up what I need at the time to suit the purpose. Extreme for pistol and low pressure stuff, and extreme 2 for rifle stuff.

Thank you,
    Dick
    Hi, thanks for quick reply.
    For most pistol use, the normal catalyst is fine. You really do not need to spend extra money if it works OK with pistols.

The Extreme catalyst was mainly designed for folk that had the lube sizer type dies, with long internal surfaces that held up internally two or three projectiles at a time. This caused a lot of problems with damage to nose and rear of projectiles during sizing with standard coated projectiles.
    Using Extreme catalyst with coating, by these folk, reduced the loads sufficiently to allow sizing to take place without damage to ammo or equipment.
    Using the Extreme catalyst eliminated need for users having to buy new sizing dies with short internal sizing surface.

For other uses, the Extreme catalyst provided ability for some to use over sized ammo, and drastically size them down to sizes where they had no molds available, and, without damage to lube coating.
    It is also very efficient in reducing loads when sizing very hard alloys, but both Extreme and 2-Extreme will work with these.

If you are looking at Rifle ammo, my suggestion is to try normal catalyst coated ammo first, then, try the 2-Extreme catalysed coating as a direct comparison.
    After testing, decide which suits your needs adequately.

The 2-Extreme catalysed system tolerates higher heat and velocities much better, and provides better metal separation during severe hydraulic deformations occurring with high energy load and fired at rapid speeds.
    Hope That I have clarified things a little better.
    HI-TEK

Boolit Bub
    So the 2-extreme is better for say, .223 applications? I went with the Red Copper because I was told it was better suited for rifle velocity but worked just as well as the green on pistol rounds. Should I be using a different catalyst too?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post
    So the 2-extreme is better for say, .223 applications? I went with the Red Copper because I was told it was better suited for rifle velocity but worked just as well as the green on pistol rounds. Should I be using a different catalyst too?
    I would suggest that you try with normal catalyst first.
    For comparison purposes, using the 2-Extreme should provide you some answers about any performance improvements that can be obtained.
    Because of high speeds, (I am told around 3500 to 3600ft.sec) with small projectiles, I am wondering the changes of retention time/and reduction of resident time versus additional lubrication will provide significant and noticeable changes.
    It certainly wont hurt to try and compare the two.
    Would be most interested in your testing results.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    I would suggest that you try with normal catalyst first.
    For comparison purposes, using the 2-Extreme should provide you some answers about any performance improvements that can be obtained.
    Because of high speeds, (I am told around 3500 to 3600ft.sec) with small projectiles, I am wondering the changes of retention time/and reduction of resident time versus additional lubrication will provide significant and noticeable changes.
    It certainly wont hurt to try and compare the two.
    Would be most interested in your testing results.
    Well, I'm not loading for 223 yet, but that's the plan for the Hi-Tek. I'm not overly concerned with pistol bullets aside from easy GLOCK bullets. I'll post when I get to that point.

Just a question for Ausglock and Hitek. Are you selling the smaller sizes in Aus? I would like to get some to NZ to try.
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintlockrecord View Post
    Just a question for Ausglock and Hitek. Are you selling the smaller sizes in Aus? I would like to get some to NZ to try.
    Good question for HI-TEK Joe.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    Range Report

30/30 9 grains trailboss, 113 grain lee soup can, excellent accuracy, with only 5% of the smoke of liquid alox.

Not one speck of leading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Good question for HI-TEK Joe.
    Thanks Ausglock, and to Flintrockrecord, and NZ members.
    There is an importer in NZ. He should have stocks.
    The person is Darren Keen.
    I dont have a recent contact detail but have this as last contact

Darren Keen
    Deep South Arms International ltd
    97 moray place CBD Dunedin New zealand ph 64 3 489 4562
    Please advise how you go with him.
    HI-TEK

Boolit Master
    Darren is a good bloke. He travels to OZ to shoot IPSC all the time.
    Very well known and respected in OZ.
    Contact Taieri Arms
    Monday - Friday: 9.30am to 6.00pm
    Saturday: 9.00am to 1.00pm
    Taieri Arms
    162 Gordon Road Mosgiel Dunedin 9024
    New Zealand
    Phone: +64 3 489 4562
    URL: www.3gun.co.nz
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    Ok gang, I are going to get on board with this. Just ordered a half liter in gold from Donnie.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Love Life
    Does the extra slipperyness of the extreme and extreme 2 catalyst effect neck tension on taper crimped bullets?

One of these days I'll be done with the questions.

Boolit Master

Does the extra slipperyness of the extreme and extreme 2 catalyst effect neck tension on taper crimped bullets?

One of these days I'll be done with the questions.
    Probably not, as it is static force on alloy.
    You just need enough crimp pressure to hold alloy in place.
    The only way to determine it is to try it.

Dont worry about asking questions, as that is how we all learn from each other.
    I am glad that you are interested enough to ask things.

Love Life
    I just made a call to Bayou Bullets today and I have a 1 liter kit of the Red Copper ordered. Now it's time to see how hard I can push it in the 308 Winchester and 8X57 Mauser.

No extreme catalysts at this time, but I'll be bugging them once some comes in!! This looks so much more easier than playing mad scientist with powder coating and it has a proven track record. A big thanks to all (especially HI-TEK and Bayou Bullets) for all the information provided so far.

I wonder if ya'll just kicked the American bullet lube market in the junk...

Boolit Master

I just made a call to Bayou Bullets today and I have a 1 liter kit of the Red Copper ordered. Now it's time to see how hard I can push it in the 308 Winchester and 8X57 Mauser.

No extreme catalysts at this time, but I'll be bugging them once some comes in!! This looks so much more easier than playing mad scientist with powder coating and it has a proven track record. A big thanks to all (especially HI-TEK and Bayou Bullets) for all the information provided so far.

I wonder if ya'll just kicked the American bullet lube market in the junk...
    Thanks much for the vote of confidence. Much appreciated.
    I am glad that folk are happy with results they are getting, and that what was advised will stand up in actual use.
    There is a shipment order with a couple of folks from US, and it certainly appears that there will be some of the 2-Extreme catalyst being ordered as well.
    (From test results being completed this and next week, it seems that we may also have some Red coloured coatings) I will post some pictures as received, & after test firing is done.)
    HI-TEK

Banned

mail me some BBQ, joe! How bout a brisket?
    -------------------------------------------
    I think i turned out 1000 bullets in hour/50mins, of NOE135 gr R.N.F.. Now i need to :

"its shake and bake mama"
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    mail me some BBQ, joe!
    Some teaser photos.
    These are taken before cooking them.
    Hopefully they will be Ok after cooking and test firing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Red.3..jpg 
Views:	1501 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	75993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Red.1..jpg 
Views:	1503 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	75994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Red.2.jpg 
Views:	1505 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	75995

Love Life
    I need to get som buulets cast up tonight. I need to cast some 45 acp, 38 special, 9mm, and 8mm.

Page 11 of 742 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111511 ... LastLast