Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Magana - what color HiTek , load & alloy for 30/30? Green didn't work for me, above ~ 1200 fps, but did in 9 & 40. HF works fine in 30/30, try the dry tumble method.
    I would go with either the red copper or metallic gold. What kind of problems are you having?
    Gatewaybullets.com

Gateway - the green gave me a hard plastic ring in the bore at the barrel band when run faster than 1200. I was just experimenting - I PC my rifle boolits for other reasons.
    Whatever!

I'm using red copper for my rifle rounds. I shoot a 180gr .311 gas check with 27gr of imr 4895 with a CCI military primers.

When I upped the powder to 28gr the accuracy improved, at 29gr accuracy was great but I started to show pressure signs so I'm going to load with faster powder...I'm thinking imr 3031.
    1,000,000 peso man

At 29gr I was figuring 2000fps or so.
    1,000,000 peso man

LeverE will give you lower pressure and it is much slower than 4895. I tried it in my 24" 308 upper and it worked fine.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Are 2 coats of gold good for 9mm or should I use 3?

Boolit Master
    2 is fine.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by silverjay View Post
    Are 2 coats of gold good for 9mm or should I use 3?
    Generally two coats is enough, especially when you have some experience with coating techniques.
    Thicknesses of coatings can vary according to your individual process methods.
    For people who are perfectionists, applying three very thin coats does produce a much better and even finish, and, with 3 coats, you reduce the possibility of surfaces not being coated adequately.
    In most instances, using 3 very thin coating ends up using less coating overall, and appearance is great and performance is great.
    As you become more experienced, you can achieve 3 coat results with with two coats.
    Hope it helps with your decisions.

Banned

Maybe, next year the " new nano hi-tek forever stain" ? Just coat one time. Prob one color.

Boolit Master
    Well... so much for keeping it quiet, gunslick.
    You just let the cat out of the bag.

This week, I'm testing the new HI-TEK bright red, pink, purple, sky blue and ocean blue and silver.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Well... so much for keeping it quiet, gunslick.
    You just let the cat out of the bag.

This week, I'm testing the new HI-TEK bright red, pink, purple, sky blue and ocean blue and silver.
    Man it must be nice to be so close to Joe!!!!
    Gatewaybullets.com

well I am not having great results with the green. Is my range lead alloy too soft for this?

Shooting through....

Glock 19
    S&W mp .40
    RI 1911 .45

All are seeing leading.

Coating passes smash and acetone test.

Dunno what I am doing wrong here!?!

Pulled several for each caliber and seeing no removal of coating.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    well I am not having great results with the green. Is my range lead alloy too soft for this?

Shooting through....

Glock 19
    S&W mp .40
    RI 1911 .45

All are seeing leading.

Coating passes smash and acetone test.

Dunno what I am doing wrong here!?!

Pulled several for each caliber and seeing no removal of coating.
    I had a simular issue, we tried loading 20 rounds at start load, and 20 +.2 gn and another 20 up another +.2gn again up to full load... shooting these in batches allowed us to find the "sweet" spot for no leading and best accuracy. That system may help you.
    Last edited by Gremlin460; 12-22-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

well are you saying that speed matters here?

Does a slow bullet have a friction coefficient that is more abrasive to the coating?

Fast makes the coating "slicker"?

Joe can you please chime in here? Kinda in a hard spot right now and need to have some real data not "this might help".

Thanks

Banned

Hot dang, and BBQ'ed aligator tail. I must have ESP.
    Trevor

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
    Last edited by gunoil; 12-23-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I had a simular issue, we tried loading 20 rounds at start load, and 20 +.2 gn and another 20 up another +.2gn again up to full load... shooting these in batches allowed us to find the "sweet" spot for no leading and best accuracy. That system may help you.
    Please enlighten us with your load data...This forum is about helping and not about vague responses.

Is there any load data to support this coating?

Is it a bullet coating or an experiment?..

In my humble opinion if you are going to sell a true bullet coating there needs to be data to support it not just "this is what worked for me" post from random folks!

Until the maker puts some sort of start point that works for this stuff I am calling complete BS.

Are there any ammo manufactures making completed ammo with this?

If so who?

I don't want to hear from bullet manufacturers because they can play the "lets rule this out" game all day long.

Supposedly this has been used for decades but there is no published data?

If there is anyone out there feel free to chime in..

If I am wrong....I'll shave my head!
    Last edited by TES; 12-22-2013 at 09:05 PM.

TES - my first try with the green was not good. Second try - 40, 9 & 30/30 were much better. My oven is PID controlled so I know the temp and time. Shooting as cast .358 caused leading, sizing 357 worked fine. I suspect scraping in the throat. My alloy is low Sb, cooked an extra 30 min @ 350F and WD. Loaded a bunch of lower Sb & AC to compare with normal alloy AC. These have set a week, hope to shoot next week. I shot the 30/30 no GC @ ~1200, 0.310 from a Marlin that likes 0.310. No leading. Running faster gave a mess but no observable leading. The 40 load of 231 is min. Hodgdon load for jacketed. 9 is same as factory 115 jacketed - from 3 XDs guns. No leading. friction coefficient is a function of the materials and force applied. It doesn't change with fps unless the coating goes soft.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    TES - my first try with the green was not good. Second try - 40, 9 & 30/30 were much better. My oven is PID controlled so I know the temp and time. Shooting as cast .358 caused leading, sizing 357 worked fine. I suspect scraping in the throat. My alloy is low Sb, cooked an extra 30 min @ 350F and WD. Loaded a bunch of lower Sb & AC to compare with normal alloy AC. These have set a week, hope to shoot next week. I shot the 30/30 no GC @ ~1200, 0.310 from a Marlin that likes 0.310. No leading. Running faster gave a mess but no observable leading. The 40 load of 231 is min. Hodgdon load for jacketed. 9 is same as factory 115 jacketed - from 3 XDs guns. No leading. friction coefficient is a function of the materials and force applied. It doesn't change with fps unless the coating goes soft.
    So your observations are a direct contradiction to the sweet spot of velocity for the previous post......jeeze

Is there any freaking data for this or is it an experiment?

When I load copper I don't get you did this wrong or try this that or the other or the die set you are using is wrong try these instead.

I want to see what you are doing if you have success loading this.

Powder
    Primers
    Powder weight
    dies
    bullet..weight, shape, alloy....etc
    Bake times
    acetone used (brand)
    OAL
    Crimp
    fsp across a chrony
    and on and on..........

Just like you would see in a manual.

Other wise it is just a guess isn't it?

Can you really sell a product that works in one case and not in most?

No..you can't.

Boolit Bub
    Yes. He can. It works for me.

Reloading manuals are items of reference that give you guidelines. Its up to you to find what works in your guns. Just like the suggestions in this thread. They are suggestikns for starting points. If you dont want to work up your own loads either stick with what you know or buy commercial. No need to bash what works just because you dont understand it.

Boolit Master

Shot some 230RN 45ACP this afternoon along with some 38 Specials in 158SWC and 148 DEWC.

Bullseye powder, Starline Brass, Federal Primers, My Castings and My Coatings of HI-TEC GOLD

purchased from Donnie at Bayou Bullets.

LOW SMOKE - - - -NO LEADING, I do like that.

You can load the COATED projectiles with CAST info from loading manuals.

Bayou Bullets, Gateway Bullets and SNS Casting have coated bullets for sale.

I coated them myself and baked in a BREVILLE BRO800XL "SMART" Oven ($250).

The Breville oven has GREAT heat control for consistency of the COATING CURING.

RELOADING for YOUR FIREARMS requires WORK to establish what YOUR SPECIFIC FIREARM DESIRES.

Lazy way out is to strictly shoot commercially loaded ammo and be happy with it.

Page 101 of 742 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111151201601 ... LastLast