Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 10 of 742 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Fed Ex delivered my Hi Tech coating this morning. I coated quite a few boolits and am looking forward to testing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hi tech coating 055.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	75816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hi tech coating 061.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	75817
    gunoils idea for the stucco wire racks worked great for the .358 and bigger, for the smaller calibers I added a layer of gutter mesh to one of the racks.

Name:	hts 2 001.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	75818
    left to right, 223 Mihec Nato 60 gr, Mihec .501 370 gr for the Beowulf, Mihec .452 200gr, Lee 230 gr 300 AAC, and Lee .358 125 gr RNFP
    The gas checks crimped on after coating with no problems.

Love Life
    Thanks for the info on the Glocks AusGlock. I can coat many more an hour than I can lubesize. I'm very excited.

Boolit Bub
    My Red Copper liter showed up today as well. Can't wait to get some coated. Need to get casting 1st. Don't have anything that's not lubed already.

Boolit Man
    I noticed on the YouTube video, the guy tumbles with the lid on. I have been swirling with the lid off.

Maybe that's where I have been going wrong.?

Wish I was in the USA with all those sheets available easily.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    Someone wanted to see HTS hi-tek-supercoat bullets at 800 degrees. Here they are, the shell still soft and removable with spoon and lead melted out.
    Looks just like the couple I returned to the furnace. Only mine were coated with Klass Kote.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SpotHound View Post
    I noticed on the YouTube video, the guy tumbles with the lid on. I have been swirling with the lid off.

Maybe that's where I have been going wrong.?

Wish I was in the USA with all those sheets available easily.
    Makes no difference. I do the red without a lid and the blue/green with a lid because the container is very shallow.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    The maker told me mixed product should go in a fridge for up to 3 days.

Boolit Man

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	75849

Best I have done so far, not as good as commercial coatings.

Boolit Master

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	75849

Best I have done so far, not as good as commercial coatings.
    You have done well.
    As you use the coating, and refine things to suit your process, there is no reason why your products would not look the same and perform the same as any commercial product.
    The only thing commercial coaters have over you, is that they have done this many hundreds of times previously.
    It is simply a learning process.

Boolit Master

The maker told me mixed product should go in a fridge for up to 3 days.
    I do recommend that normally, mix enough coating to use up in 2 to 3 days.
    Some advised, that they have kept the mix in fridge for over a week and was coating OK.
    The products are designed to allow user to coat for days without loss of product.
    Normally, it is also recommended that you cast plenty first, (more than required), make up some mixture, then coat and use up all mixture even if you have some projectiles left uncoated.
    Keeping in fridge reduces solvent loss and thickening of mixture. Mixture should be kept in air tight containers.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Anyone know if keeping the unmixed or mixed lube in the refrigerator will extend shelf life? My garage gets to >110F in the summer. I probably can't use up 1/2 L in a year. Cut a proper length strip of the gutter guard last nite, it's good and stiff so I'll glue some wood strips to the bottom so I can lift it out of the oven easily. I space them off the rack so I can use 2 wood dowels to lift them out. Most of you just tumbling in a butter tub or something? Just swirling or actually tumbling to coat? I had trouble with LLA & swirling - didn't coat very well, the CBs just slid around.
    I keep both mixed and unmixed in the fridge.
    I tumble in a large sealed plastic container, I believe it is a mayo container. Tumble them until well coated, remove lid and gently fan air into/fumes out of container, replace lid and tumble some more. I repeat this prices until they start to get sticky, then poor out to dry.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Anyone know if keeping the unmixed or mixed lube in the refrigerator will extend shelf life? My garage gets to >110F in the summer. I probably can't use up 1/2 L in a year. Cut a proper length strip of the gutter guard last nite, it's good and stiff so I'll glue some wood strips to the bottom so I can lift it out of the oven easily. I space them off the rack so I can use 2 wood dowels to lift them out. Most of you just tumbling in a butter tub or something? Just swirling or actually tumbling to coat? I had trouble with LLA & swirling - didn't coat very well, the CBs just slid around.
    I keep both mixed and unmixed in the fridge.
    I tumble in a large sealed plastic container, I believe it is a mayo container. Tumble them until well coated, remove lid and gently fan air into/fumes out of container, replace lid and tumble some more. I repeat this prices until they start to get sticky, then poor out to dry.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Boolit Master
    The containers that Sam's Club and other such places sell cashews, chocolate covered raisons and such in are hexagon shaped and of about a quart or more in size. Great for tumbling, just slowly rotate the container and the boolits catch and fall willy-nilly to get an even coat. I need to try this new stuff. I have not luck at all with alox tumble lube.

prs

Banned

Thanks for that tip prs. carload9

You should try prs, call donnie/36 bucks+fedex for 1/2 liter. go get it. Your loaders/barrels are cleaner
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-11-2013 at 05:50 PM.

THANK YOU Gunoil

Gunoil, I just wanted you to know that I really appreciate you starting this thread. I was previously sold on Carnuba red as a all purpose lube for all calibers. I have always looked right past these epoxy and powder coat coatings, thinking it was really just a gimmick type deal for people who just wanted their boolits to look purdy. I recently purchased a S&W M&P 9mm and have been having fits with trying to stop the leading. I just got through running 2 mags of 17 rounds each, 34 total at rapid fire pace. Checked the barrel, and not a trace of leading. These hybrid boolits also shot at exact point of aim at 7 yards. The exact boolit uncoated with same load was off by 3 or 4 inches at same distance. I could not be happier with this product, anyone who is on the fence about trying the Hi Tech coating, I say go for it, you will be extremely pleased. The coating is easy to apply and initial start up cost is very reasonable. Just read through this entire thread, watch the youtube videos, and you will be successful. Once again THANK YOU Gunoil for starting this thread and also thanks to the new member Mtbkn who made the you tube video (very helpful) http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...48293060,d.eWU

Boolit Master
    I keep the un-mixed product in the fridge. but the mixed coating lives out on the bench in a sealed plastic bottle. I have about 8 bottles of different colours and mixes all out on the bench. some have been mixed for 2 weeks and are still coating fine. In Summer, it might be a different story. But the fridge will need a clean out to make room for all the coatings.

I am finding that a 5-1-7 mix is giving really good results and full coverage of crimp and lube groove. the coats are thin enough to get to all the nooks and crannies, but still give a good coat. The 5-1-5-mix, if applied too much, gives a heavy blotchie look to the baked coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Glad to here you guys are having success with the Hi-Tek Bullet.....I mean Boolit coating. I will also be introducing a sprue plate and mould release agent from Hi-Tek in the very near future as well.
    I appreciate your business!
    Thanks
    Donnie

Banned

Thanks mike hughes, I have so much fun with HTS.

Thanks swamprat. I be buying mold lube.

Thanks ausglock ,, got me pumped up and going.

I broke down and ordered a liter (might as well get enough to last a while) from Donnie today.
    I've been powder coating but this seems like it will be MUCH simpler.
    Thanks for all the info guys !

Copper
    Copper75

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Love Life
    Has anybody used the black coating yet? I bet it would sweet!!

I will do some hollow point testing when I get order some coating. I cast mine from 30:1 lead:tin.

Also is there any gain with the extreme catalysts? Do you get higher velocities, better coverage, etc? Is the only benefit easier sizing?
    Last edited by Love Life; 07-11-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Page 10 of 742 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110510 ... LastLast