RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Spaceball, looks good! Only problem with a full-size oven is they take up too much space (which I haven't got).

Boolit Mold
    ok i assume those are all metallic colors kinda leaning towards the brick red anyways im using a non convection kitchen oven with a pid controller that has worked well for powder coating will that be fine or do i really need a convection type for this coating?

Boolit Master
    Try it and see how it goes. The convection oven fan circulates the heat for more even cooking of the coating. Some guys do fine with just a small oven with no fan. If your oven doesn't work you can buy a convection oven at wal-mart or the local Goodwill store. The last one I bought at wal-mart was $70.00. I can do around 400 bullets if I double the trays. I generally use one. The main thing on your oven is check and verify that the temp is where it needs to be. Those dials can be way off.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Banned
    My experience with NON-convection toaster ovens is they can only do small batches efficiently due to uneven heating from having no air circulation. the boolits in one area will be dark (overcooked) before all the boolits are completely baked.

Good convection ovens are not expensive, I found a good OSTER convection oven at a thrift store for $20. New ovens aren't that expensive either.
    Costco has a good one for $49.99

And I've been run thousands of pounds of boolits through https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

regardless of the oven, you need to re-check the temperature every time the surrounding temperature changes due to the location and type of heat sensor the oven has. -- A PID (like yours) is the perfect solution. But I don't think even a PID will allow you to bake batches of boolits over say 2-3 pounds.

If you shake the tray/boolits thoroughly at the halfway point you'll have a better chance of getting even baking.
    if you go to Donies site http://hi-performancebulletcoatings....-oz-container/
    and click on a color you can see pictures of the coated boolits.

(I like the black cherry) commercial coaters like the Kryptonite Green

Boolit Mold
    maybe i should have used the word stove not oven its a full size not a toaster type if that makes a difference since the heat is spread better i would think not as concentrated i see several deals on used full size convection stove / ovens for around $100 i do have a small toaster type convection but i also cast with a ballisticast mark II automated machine so i will be baking in quantity

Banned
    If you line/cover the bottom of your oven with a heat retaining material (I use ceramic BBQ briquettes in my countertop convection ovens), others use fire brick, chunks a steel or ?, anything to absorb the heat and help bring the oven back up to temperature faster after opening the door.
    In my larger Oster countertop convection oven, I can bake 18# at a time.
    If your doing volume and want consistency I would recommend a convection oven Ausglock can help you better on that, he coats in volume and commercially. He runs a kitchen size convection oven with 2 pid controllers. Also if you run a PID on a convection oven, you need to isolate/re-wire the fan giving it it's own power supply so it doesn't cycle a kajillion times with the PID and burn out
    Last edited by Grmps; 04-16-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Perminator, I reckon if you're going to be cooking largish batches then you really need to get a fan-forced oven to ensure rapid even heat circulation. I use a smallish non-convection oven and do just under 4 lbs at a time but can only use the middle shelf and as Grmps said some come out slightly darker than others (which doesn't bother me or the guns!).

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info everyone I'll be trying it out this week and see how it goes in my standard oven if not I see a fair amount of used convections around here. like anything else in this hobby changing something requires buying something, buy something else then get more of something lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
    Will I have finally finished my oven. It is an 600mm kitchen oven that I picked up from Gumtree for $50. Had very little use but a dead cooling fan motor, fix that and added a $20 PID temperature controller. Re-wire the whole lot so only the heater ring around the fan is connected. Now the front switch has two settings, 1. fans on, 2. fans and heating element. Thermocouple will sit just about the tray of bullets.
    Attachment 218437Attachment 218438Attachment 218439
    Very similar to what I did. But I have element around the fan and the top element operating. Each has it's own SSR and these 2 SSR's are controlled by another SSR from the temp controller. I also added a timer to mine. Can bake 2 trays in 7:30mins. 3 trays in 8mins.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Just came here to look at oven specs.

Is a gas oven any good or does it need to be an electric one?

I'm tired of cooking 2kgs of bullets at a time. My wife nags me too much when Im in the shed all day.

How many kg's can you get in a full size kitchen oven?

Boolit Master
    Mate, that is the job of a wife You can always invite her into the shop to help you out and make the job go faster, mine runs in the other direction when i offer this......

When i cook mine, i can do a good 15+kg per batch, i have multiple trays to use though. There is a fair bit of space in an old 600mm wide kitchen oven. I got mine from the in-laws when the replaced their free standing one as the hot plates were toast.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Mate, that is the job of a wife You can always invite her into the shop to help you out and make the job go faster, mine runs in the other direction when i offer this...... You are lucky she does not return with a baseball bat lol lol

When I cook mine, I can do a good 15+kg per batch, I have multiple trays to use though. There is a fair bit of space in an old 600mm wide kitchen oven. I got mine from the in-laws when the replaced their free standing one as the hot plates were toast.
    Most household ovens free standing or wall types are OK, and are freely available from retailers who sell new ones and take away old ones. Also, on Council clean up, you can find them on side of the road, free to take away. If they have blown elements, these are cheap to replace from Electrical wholesalers or Stove repairers. Easy way to get a reasonable sized oven very cheap.

Boolit Master
    I second that, over here we have gumtree, the American version of Craig's List. People just want them gone, so you can get lucky and get a freebee.

Some places that sell appliances take old ones back as a service, you can possibly pick one up here for free or very cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, it's gas ok if it's got a fan?

Im in Melbourne. Gumtree is good sometimes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post

I suppose Gas fired ovens should work. However, I would only put in a load after oven is first at correct bake temperature. That way, any moisture formed with warming oven is at same temperature as oven heated air.
    Gas Fired ovens also have a chimney exhaust which would help with ducting oven fumes outside. Do not use this sort of oven in enclosed areas. Exhaust all gaseous emissions to outside work area. Burning gas uses up Oxygen and produces CO2 and CO, and is not good being confined in a closed work area, and gasses cannot be detected.

Boolit Master

Dan. I'll swap you an oven that will do 8kg in 8 minutes for your STI prize...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Dan. I'll swap you an oven that will do 8kg in 8 minutes for your STI prize...
    lol. Sounds like a good deal but I'll have to pass. :P

Funny enough I tried to get them to swap it for a STI tactical with me paying the difference but they wouldn't do it. I won't dare complain though.

Thanks for the tips on the Ovens. Sounds like electric might be easier to deal with.

Boolit Master
    lol. Sounds like a good deal but I'll have to pass. :P

Funny enough I tried to get them to swap it for a STI tactical with me paying the difference but they wouldn't do it. I won't dare complain though.

Thanks for the tips on the Ovens. Sounds like electric might be easier to deal with.
    Fair enough. I just picked up an STI Tactical 5.0 9mm second hand, sweet shooter. The full length dust cover adds weight to the front perfectly for sight recovery.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I have my custom 2011 race gun gathering dust in my safe for the last 2 years, been trying to get hold of a replacement barrel for it. Good note, try not to push two projectiles down the barrel at once *sigh*

I do love the STI range, I got my hands on a used 2011 executive in .38 super, it shoots great.

Do you know where to get hold of a schuemann hybricomp barrel from Trevor? Easily bought in America, here... not so much.

Boolit Master
    Tazza.
    Mate give Victor a call at Victor Precision in Capalaba.
    He has Pulver, KKM, STI barrels. His comp designs are the best there are.
    I'm getting a KKM with a VP comp for the STI Tac 5 for shooting Steel Challenge with a C-more RTS2.
    Victor rebuilt my TruBor and it is a sweet shooter.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 488 of 742 FirstFirst ... 388438478479480481482483484485486487488489490491492493494495496497498538588 ... LastLast