RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by eljefeoz View Post
    Glockfan,as long as the fit is right, all will be well. make sure they fit in the throat...whats your load for these? I run non coated lee 155 0.312" with 11.5 gr Blue dot. now I need to check out a 'coated load'
    for the russian? i predict the lee 312155-2r with 3 coatings under something like a 24-25grs of n120 at 2100fps. would like an 100grs HP at 2400fps with n110 ; what will bring the most for the least , get the win. i'm sure this gun can be more accurate with something else than surplus ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Planned load for the coated .312 lee 155gr out of a zastava bolt action and a 100 year old martini cadet, is with AP70-Unique/universal- to you outworlders am running out of Blue Dot...no chance of any in the future.
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master
    Blue Dot??? Bugger......shame you are not closer. I have about 4Kg of it.
    Got it for 44mag, but found AR2205 was better.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Not closer?? Victoria's next door to NSW!. Heck, a couple of years ago I rode from Adelaide to Sydney just to buy some Black Powder. (Maybe we Croweaters are a tougher breed ).

Sorry I'm late to the party, but couldn't bring myself to reading all 470+ pages. The last 20 seem tied up with someone named Tony.
    I just received my order of gold from Hi Tech and can't wait to give it a try. Where is everyone getting the tools to measure the ingredients and storing the left over mix. Living in rural Colorado has some draw backs when it comes to shopping.

Set of electronic kitchen scales, picked up cheap at an Op shop, plastic measuring cup from the kitchen section at a shop, small water bottles with resealable squirt-type tops (often sold in packs at the supermarket, I save them when the grandkids are finished with them) for the mix.
    That's it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shootinxd View Post
    Sorry I'm late to the party, but couldn't bring myself to reading all 470+ pages. The last 20 seem tied up with someone named Tony.
    I just received my order of gold from Hi Tech and can't wait to give it a try. Where is everyone getting the tools to measure the ingredients and storing the left over mix. Living in rural Colorado has some draw backs when it comes to shopping.
    Half pint mason jars work great for mixing and storing and are short enough to get a syringe to the bottom of (just make sure to wipe any off of the threads before resealing jar as you might not get it back open) for measuring the powder I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup on my digital powder scale and a small (150ml)Pyrex graduated measuring cup for the acetone.

For measuring the mix I use syringe type medicine droppers (3cc for first coat 6cc for subsequent coats) from the farm store. The plastic folgers can (dump the coffee on the rhododendrons they like it and it's not fit for humans) is perfect for tossing the bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Set of electronic kitchen scales, picked up cheap at an Op shop, plastic measuring cup from the kitchen section at a shop, small water bottles with resealable squirt-type tops (often sold in packs at the supermarket, I save them when the grandkids are finished with them) for the mix.
    That's it.

I add to this set up that I have bought some syringes for precise measurements of the mixture hitek.Yes, I am anal in my reload haha activities. I also added a brick to each of my two ovens to help with the recovery time and it helped a lot, the irons do not have to light long to reach the right temperature after closing the oven door. I can now cook 20lbs of boolits at a time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Blue Dot??? Bugger......shame you are not closer. I have about 4Kg of it.
    Got it for 44mag, but found AR2205 was better.
    Thanks for the offer,Trev.
    I used it for many calibers from .45 ACP to .404J with cast. Splendid performance. Tempting enough to drive down and pick it up.but lets see how I can use the 2x 2kg tins of Mulwex AP 70 I've scrounged.Its smells sweet as...

Boolit Master
    I love the smell of Win231
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

shootinxd;

Don't know about drug stores in Colorado, but here they give away the syringes like you use to give children medicine. They also have an open end thing to measure with. Looks like a spoon on the end attached to a tube with measurements down the side. Sometime they are included in a box of cold medicine for children. I use one of those for acetone and a measuring spoon for the powder. Use empty dish washing liquid bottles to mix in with a bullet in the bottom to agitate. I have left the liquid in these bottles for six months or more. The bottles deform a bit but you can add a little acetone and use the coating. The dried liquid can act like a weak glue if you leave it the threads of something and put the cap on.

Know what you mean about the length of the read. There is a shorter ten page read called Hi Tek do's and don'ts on this forum. I think Ausglock started it to give someone starting out an abbreviated version. Wish I had had it when I started. I read all the post. But at that time there were only about 2000 of them.

Welcome to the party.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    As has been said many times, if what you're doing is working for you then that's all that matters.
    Using it may not be rocket science, but I reckon you could class it's actual development as in those realms! It's really got me intrigued as to what it is and how it's made, but I suspect I'll go to my grave never knowing .
    No need to wonder... Just buy out Hitek Joe for $6.3 million US, and he will give you the formula.... easy.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Oh, is that all? I'll write out a cheque tomorrow.........

Thanks Avenger.
    Iv'e been checking out the Do's and Don't. I think I'm ready to give it a go this weekend. Have Gold to try and tool to measure and mix.
    I'll let ya know how it comes out and shoots.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shootinxd View Post
    Thanks Avenger.
    Iv'e been checking out the Do's and Don't. I think I'm ready to give it a go this weekend. Have Gold to try and tool to measure and mix.
    I'll let ya know how it comes out and shoots.
    G'day. Just make sure that:
    1. You mix and let it sit for around 1/2 hour before using.
    2. Always shake the mix before decanting to apply to the bullets. It settles out really quick.
    3. Use sparingly... A little bit goes a long way.
    4. If you think there isn't enough colour on the bullets, then you have enough.
    5. once coated, leave them to air dry for at least 10 minutes. Us a hair dryer or fan heater to warm them before baking.
    6. every oven is different. But try baking for 10 minutes to start with.
    7. All ovens have terrible thermostats. Try to get a oven thermometer to verify the temp.
    8. Pre-warm your oven til the heating elements start to cycle on and off.
    9. once cool from baking, lay 1 bullet on something hard and hit it with a bloody big hammer to see if the coating flakes off. If you have done the above step, you will have no flaking.
    10. repeat the above steps for the second coat.
    11. Size load and shoot those suckers.
    All good.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Mold
    Dear gang,

as this is my first post in this forum let me introduce myself real quick:
    I'm a (handgun)shooter from Germany, reloading for two years and casting for 6 months now. Calibers .357 Mag and .45 ACP. My main focus in shooting (besides the FUN) is competitions, mostly precission style but also some more dynamic stuff like steel plates.

Having dropped the first acceptable bullets out of the mold last fall the obvious question was how to coat them. I had read all I could find about casting and coating in German forums during summer and as a result I got the impression that the times of the druid-like fat-wax-mixing/cooking and Lube-a-Matic-pushing guys was coming to an end and that it could be a good idea for a newcomer like myself to directly start with the so-called "alternative coatings".

To be honest I took a quick excursion into tumble-lubing with self mixed tumble-lube but this was just for being able to quickly let some self-casted bullets "fly" and not meant for a permanent solution. And man, this stuff stinks (as you know)... and even before shooting...
    PC didn't seem very attractive to me (ugly finish, messy process) so I gave HITEK the first real shot. Ordered three colors directly from AU (unfortunately HITEK is not available from resellers in Germany as far as I know). Thanks to the very good instructions that come with the product it worked quite fine from the beginning (with Zombie Green and Old Gold), just -for reasons unknown to me- the Black Cherry insisted on keeping to flake off during hammer test. No big deal but strange anyways.

When I finally found this forum/thread a few weeks ago I quickly had a more or less long list of questions ready that I wanted to ask you guys, but, after reading from about halfway back until the most reason posts all of this questions were already answered on the way and the list is empty now. Very impressive thread and product!!!

This leaves me with nothing more to say than "Thank you"! I feel honored to be able to listen (read) and talk (write) to the inventor/producer, lead tester and main US distributor (amoungst all you other well experienced users) of HITEK!
    Learned so much from reading already, understood many things better (e.g. the seal/film that prevents full drying; the necessary curing time/temp in the oven; the necessity to let the freshly mixed solution react for some hours; a.s.o.), adjusted my process and instantly even the Black Cherry bullets pass all the tests flawlessly.
    I am totally impressed and more than happy with the performance of the bullets I now can produce with HITEK. Absolutely no leading, no smoke, top precission and I love the look.

That's it. I'm adding some pictures of how I use HITEK over here.

Looking forward to read more from you.

Kindest regards

E.C.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180212_205753.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	214261

Name:	IMG_20180213_191732.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	214262

Name:	IMG_20180214_210804.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	214263

Name:	IMG_20180214_210623.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	214264

Name:	20171111_104528 (1).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	214265

Name:	IMG_20180214_211051.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	214266

Name:	IMG_20180214_211218.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	214267

Boolit Buddy
    Wunderbar.

Boolit Master
    Good job.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Mold
    Thank you!

BTW, although I wrote otherwise, there is still one (minor) question left that I have:

I like to put a very small amount of very light case lube on the coated bullets (2 coatings) before sizing. It's much more comfortable this way and also feels somewhat better when it comes to stress on the bullet surface (don't know how to express correctly, but I think you know what I mean).

Sure, no more coating is done after this sizing.

I use a mixture of 1 part lanolin with 15 parts isopropanol.

I know what was previously said about that it is impossible to test and forsee all the possible reactions between HITEK and the lubes people may use. I just wonder if anyone has positive or negative experiences with using diluted case lube on HITEK bullets for sizing.
    I just can say that I have not recognized any negative effects yet, but my experience is only a few hundred shots old...

Thank you for your advise!

E.C.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ElCattivo View Post
    Thank you!

BTW, although I wrote otherwise, there is still one (minor) question left that I have:

I like to put a very small amount of very light case lube on the coated bullets (2 coatings) before sizing. It's much more comfortable this way and also feels somewhat better when it comes to stress on the bullet surface (don't know how to express correctly, but I think you know what I mean).

Sure, no more coating is done after this sizing.

I use a mixture of 1 part lanolin with 15 parts isopropanol.

I know what was previously said about that it is impossible to test and forsee all the possible reactions between HITEK and the lubes people may use. I just wonder if anyone has positive or negative experiences with using diluted case lube on HITEK bullets for sizing.
    I just can say that I have not recognized any negative effects yet, but my experience is only a few hundred shots old...

Thank you for your advise!

E.C.
    Try to find some of Hi-Tek Joes Aqualube. Good stuff!

Page 479 of 742 FirstFirst ... 379429469470471472473474475476477478479480481482483484485486487488489529579 ... LastLast