Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    I've eaten Roo, Emu, Croc, Black snake, Wallaby, Goanna, Camel, Buffalo, Cockatoo and Galah.
    Not eaten Drop Bear... Those ******** eat you...lol
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Cockatoo and Galah? Wouldn't have thought there's much meat in them. Roo is tricky to cook, being so lean, if it's overcooked just a bit it's like leather.
    Avenger, that comparison sounds interesting, look forward to the results.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Cockatoo and Galah? Wouldn't have thought there's much meat in them. Roo is tricky to cook, being so lean, if it's overcooked just a bit it's like leather.
    Avenger, that comparison sounds interesting, look forward to the results.
    Was up the NT years ago. Old mate soaked them in brine for a day and wrapped them in foil. Wasn't bad.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=HI-TEK;4206881]
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Trevor
    Do you guys eat roo over there?

Hi Avenger,
    I tried Roo meat in a restaurant up in Queensland. It arrived on my plate, still kicking raw.
    I was told that this is best way to eat this stuff. I could not get myself to eat it so raw. I asked that my meat be cooked a little more. They did that for me. When I tried to eat it, I would have needed steel teeth to grind the meat. It was like old boot leather, and had a strange odour. It really turned me off the stuff. Some people swear by Roo meat and eat it very rare, as it is claimed as being very high in protein and very low in fat. It is supposedly/allegedly very good for you. But for me, sorry, but cant face it. That experience really did not convince me to eat such healthy food.
    I did eat Crocodile, and was very tasty. The meat came from commercial Crocodile farm where they were raising them for skin export to France and other places. The Crocks were being fed Chicken carcasses and not commercially used other Chicken parts. We were there at the time when a truck load was delivered to the farm. Most interesting.
    Those who tell you this Joe, are bloody lazy or ignorant Cooks, I have sent many steaks back with the offer to show the cook how to do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Trevor
    Do you guys eat roo over there?

Slide and I are working on something as a comparison HT to PC in my .308 rifle. I've got about two weeks before I can shoot them so will try to do a "FOX News" unbiased report then. Going to try and keep everything close to the same on both bullets so it will not be apples to oranges. Will check speeds, SD and accuracy. Plan is to load 25 of each. Which will give me five groups of five for each. If anyone comes up with anything else to check put it here and I will try to do it, too.
    Those of us who are old enough to remember what hunger was like, grew rather fond of roo, sure beats snake and lizard I can tell you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Was up the NT years ago. Old mate soaked them in brine for a day and wrapped them in foil. Wasn't bad.
    From memory the correct way to cook them was boil them with a large stone, and when the stone become soft you ate the stone and threw the Galah away.

Boolit Master
    Ha... yep heard that one.
    The old Abo that was doing the cooking did a bloody good job of it.
    My Grandfathers survived during the 1920's on Roo and underground Mutton. The odd woody or black duck as well. Dripping rather than butter.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Help. Was wondering if you all could help me here. I am using the powder red copper hitek and mixing and applying as directed. I mix 103 grains powder to 33ml acetone. I am in a cool dry environment and bullets are completely dry before cooking. I cook in a convection oven pid controlled. The temp thermo couple is right below the middle of the tray in the oven. Baking for 11 to 12 minutes depending on the amount of bullets. Coats are light especially the first at 4 ml to about 5 lbs of bullets. Putting on 4 light coats. Sized after last coat. Bullets are passing the wipe test and the smash test. So are my bullets failing or is the hitec coating failing and what should I do about my problem. Here are some pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1751.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	208134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1757.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	208135

After first light coat.

Name:	IMG_1758.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	208136
    Oven

Name:	IMG_1761.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	208137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	208138
    Solution mixer

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	208139
    Finished sized bullets.

Name:	IMG_1875.jpg 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	208144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	208145

Any advice?

Boolit Master
    It isn't the coating. Its the Alloy. Looks to be too soft.
    What are you using?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Water quenched coww hardness checked at about 18-19 bhn. The Ingots ring when dropped or tapped together.

Boolit Buddy
    This bullet was a bhn 8.

Name:	3ED03235-E594-42CD-AD25-9B6EC5C18159.jpg 
Views:	54 
ID:	208164

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by flybyjohn View Post
    This bullet was a bhn 8.

Name:	3ED03235-E594-42CD-AD25-9B6EC5C18159.jpg 
Views:	54 
ID:	208164
    Is that bullet recovered after being shot, or did you press is through like you were slugging the barrel?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    It was caught after being fired. Caught in 6" pvc pipe that was stuffed with plastic bags. The bags stop the bullet with no damage to it. The bullet skidded on the rifling and gas got beside it and melted some of the lead.

Vendor Sponsor

It was caught after being fired. Caught in 6" pvc pipe that was stuffed with plastic bags. The bags stop the bullet with no damage to it. The bullet skidded on the rifling and gas got beside it and melted some of the lead.
    Ok, so what sign do you have that a failure took place? Is there any lead on the barrel? I have caught several of my hiteks and if you have the boolit diameter tight to the bore, what your seeing wouldnt be too unusual. Id expect that the coating might come off from the lands of the barrel.

Also- any idea what the velocity is of these shots?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've recovered nearly 1000 kgs of range scrap from my pistol range and virtually all of it is commercial stuff and appears to be Hi-Tek. I've examined a lot of them and they've all shown the same signs of rifling "cutting" the coating. If they're shooting ok and there's no leading then I wouldn't worry.

Boolit Master
    I have never seen this on any recovered Hi-Tek coated cast, I have seen it when I slugged a 303 barrel from the muzzle end, I wonder is the rifling at chamber end a bit sharp and cutting into the cast and removing coating. Just a thought.

Boolit Master
    Help. Was wondering if you all could help me here. I am using the powder red copper hitek and mixing and applying as directed. I mix 103 grains powder to 33ml acetone. I am in a cool dry environment and bullets are completely dry before cooking. I cook in a convection oven pid controlled. The temp thermo couple is right below the middle of the tray in the oven. Baking for 11 to 12 minutes depending on the amount of bullets. Coats are light especially the first at 4 ml to about 5 lbs of bullets. Putting on 4 light coats. Sized after last coat. Bullets are passing the wipe test and the smash test. So are my bullets failing or is the hitec coating failing and what should I do about my problem. Here are some pictures.

Name:	IMG_1751.jpg 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	208134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1757.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	208135

After first light coat.

Name:	IMG_1758.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	208136
    Oven

Name:	IMG_1761.jpg 
Views:	49 
ID:	208137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	208138
    Solution mixer

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	208139
    Finished sized bullets.

Name:	IMG_1875.jpg 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	208144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	208145

Any advice?

In the cast bullet thread you stated

"Here is a picture of the chamber and lead. I KNOW BEFORE ANYBODY SAYS ANYTHING that the barrel has a flaw. It is being sent back today to get looked at."

You might want to get the barrel replaced before worrying about the coating.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes the flaw is in the groves of the barrel and are not removing any of the coating. The coating is only coming off of where the lands ride the bullet. I brought this over here thinking that if it did not turn out to be a cast bullet problem, them maybe it was a hitek problem. The guys in this forum I would imagine are very experienced with hitek and wanted to know if they have seen this before or if they had a solution to it. Here is the lead into the rifling. I don't think it is sharp by any means.

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	208188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1A060E8-EE12-4E5F-A53F-95586AB8FFB8.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	208189

I would just like to know if I am doing something wrong or if the different color coatings act differently. I read that the red copper is a higher build powder than some of the others and wondered if it was just as flexible as the others.
    Last edited by flybyjohn; 11-21-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I am not trying to disk Hitek, I really want to use it. I don't have the desire to even start lubing with wax,,,ever. I just want to figure out why this does this on my 9mm and not on my 45.

Looks like the coating is pretty dry on a couple coats. Has that gritty look which may come off when firing. Did you size after the last coat? That bore part of the coating should show wear, not loss of coating from chipping. 45 is low pressure, 9 is high. Use faster powder or hotter load.
    Whatever!

Page 464 of 742 FirstFirst ... 364414454455456457458459460461462463464465466467468469470471472473474514564 ... LastLast