Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Bub
    Is it better to bake on a cookie sheet or on some type of screen? Got home and looked I got 1400 40s I casted last year all sized already was gunna dry tumble PC them should I just remelt them or will the hi tek stick to the smooth surface?

Boolit Buddy
    Worth a try. You have nothing to lose and can always remelt them if they don't work. I'd make a tray or two out of 1/4" hardware cloth.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fivel_976 View Post
    Is it better to bake on a cookie sheet or on some type of screen? Got home and looked I got 1400 40s I casted last year all sized already was gunna dry tumble PC them should I just remelt them or will the hi tek stick to the smooth surface?
    If these are sized with some sort of lube, then forget about using Hi-Tek coating on them Unfortunately it is a re-melt job if you have other lubes on cast alloy. In majority of cases, the coating will just not stick, and even with solvent washing the lubes cannot be totally removed, and will cause coating problems.

Boolit Buddy
    A wire mesh screen is best for Hi-Tek as it allows for better airflow around the bullets.
    I get mixed reports from people who have coated sized bullets, some report no adhesion issues and some do.
    Generally it is not recommended to apply Hi-Tek over pre sized bullets and certainly not over previously lubed bullets.

Boolit Bub
    None of my bullets get lubed just shoved through a Lee sizer only reason I sized then is once powder coated 2 times there to hard to size. IV never seen this hardware mesh where do I buy it and how thick is it I can weld an angle iron frame at work can it sit in it or does it need to be tacked in?

Boolit Bub
    Sorry for all the question I just want to get it right the first time as I spent a lot of money on a harbor freight compresser and PC gun for it all to work good for a week or so then have better results flicking powder at my bullets

Boolit Buddy
    Some people call it rabbit wire as it is used for the bottom of a rabbit cage. Just ask for hardware cloth at almost any building supply or hardware store. I cut mine and folded so the sides would be about 1.25 tall. I folded twice so the barbs would be turned down and used 12ga. copper wire to hold the corners together. Here is a pic attached.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire racks.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	193070

Boolit Buddy
    I've found 1/4" mesh hardware cloth at Menards, Lowes and Rural King.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=fivel_976;4015986]None of my bullets get lubed just shoved through a Lee sizer only reason I sized then is once powder coated 2 times there to hard to size.

If you have sized your cast without using any lubes, all you need to do is try to coat some and see how you go. If coating bonds, all is well. If not then re-melt and re-cast.
    Sizing is done after you coat twice with Hi-Tek. If you have a hard alloy, Aqualube 5000 will certainly help reduce sizing load and allow coated cast to size much more easily.

Can you please tell us what you mean by "powder coated"? If you are using powder coating (not Hi-Tek) I can imagine that sizing will be very difficult.
    I hope that you are not using Hi-Tek as a powder coat.
    Hi-Tek is definitely not supposed to be used as a powder coat.
    Hi-Tek powdered versions, are used after it is made up as liquid coatings using solvent Acetone.

"Your parents weren't Kiwi were they??"

Boolit Bub
    No I was powder coating with harber fright stuff. Is that wire mesh in the picture better then a metal window screen and where can I get purple color like that?

Boolit Master

No I was powder coating with harber fright stuff. Is that wire mesh in the picture better then a metal window screen and where can I get purple color like that?
    You can get supplies from Donnie at Hi-Performance Bullet coatings, in US. He posted at number 8604. Donnie should have stocks you need.

Boolit Master
    Some of the colors will change when you bake them. Hi-tek does not have all the colors of the rainbow but it is a product that works,has been safety tested,and has been in use for years in Australia.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Some of the colors will change when you bake them. Hi-tek does not have all the colors of the rainbow but it is a product that works,has been safety tested,and has been in use for years in Australia.
    Slide, you are right. I think we stopped making various colours after we got to about 16-18.
    I have made a rod for my own back, trying to please a never ending need for people wanting an individual colour for themselves.

With regards to safety testing, some years ago, controlled tests done at an indoor shooting range, an independent environmental testing company, measured the Hi-Tek coatings for atomised Lead emission versus Copper plated ammo.
    Results were, that atomised emission levels produced with Hi-Tek coating, were comparable to Copper Plated ammo, and, results were well inside health regulations that met Australian and US regulations. As far as I know, there is no other lube or coating that can meet these results.
    Results below
    LEAD EMISSION RESULTSLeadLevelsAUST. WORKSAFE LIMITACGIH LIMIT
    CopperPlated Projectiles0.84 ug/M3150ug/Cubic Metre50ug/ Cubic Metre
    HI-TEK-LUBESUPERCOAT2.56 ug/ M3150ug/Cubic Metre 50ug/Cubic Metre
    (Old Gold Metallic)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Slide, you are right. I think we stopped making various colours after we got to about 16-18.
    I have made a rod for my own back, trying to please a never ending need for people wanting an individual colour for themselves.

With regards to safety testing, some years ago, controlled tests done at an indoor shooting range, an independent environmental testing company, measured the Hi-Tek coatings for atomised Lead emission versus Copper plated ammo.
    Results were, that atomised emission levels produced with Hi-Tek coating, were comparable to Copper Plated ammo, and, results were well inside health regulations that met Australian and US regulations. As far as I know, there is no other lube or coating that can meet these results.
    Results below
    LEAD EMISSION RESULTSLeadLevelsAUST. WORKSAFE LIMITACGIH LIMIT
    CopperPlated Projectiles0.84 ug/M3150ug/Cubic Metre50ug/ Cubic Metre
    HI-TEK-LUBESUPERCOAT2.56 ug/ M3150ug/Cubic Metre 50ug/Cubic Metre
    (Old Gold Metallic)
    How come we only get 12 colors here in the US?
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Bub
    Ok I ordered 3.5 ounce in black, black Cherry, gold, and zombie green. If anyone knows how to get blue or purple please let me know

Boolit Master
    They have a dark blue but it is a tempermental rascal. Don't get me wrong, it works but the color is very dark. Joe has been working really hard trying to get new colors. I can't imagine the **** he has been through. I have played around mixing colors but it changed when baked. Follow the instructions and you will be ok. One thing! Make sure you buy good quality acetone. No fingernail polish remover.

Boolit Bub
    Buying every thing I need today went to Walmart seen the squeeze bottles for 97cents or masion jars for about the same price dose anyone use these I'd guess thay would keep the mix from going bad

Vendor Sponsor

The dollar tree had 3 for a buck, small water bottles that held more than 1 unit of powder and acetone. Its kept fresh for several days now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    People use all kinds of containers. One thing you can do is wrap the threads on those bottles with teflon tape. It will keep the solution from coming out when you shake. Listen guys, the one thing I can tell you is this, focus on that first coat. Get it right and most of the battle is won. If it is not right don't put on another coat thinking that will fix it. Put everything out of your mind but that first coat. Joe has a great idea. Weigh your bullets,powder,measure your acetone. When you are ready to bake just do a few,say 10. Check those and if they are right bake the rest. If not you may need to adjust your temp,drying time. Post here and someone will help you. Don't bake the whole batch at one time. What I do,weigh 2500 grams of bullets, put 1/2 tablespoon ( Ausglock is cringing right now). 1/2 tablespoon is 6 mils. If you don't have a scale invest in one. I bought mine at wal-mart for 18 dollars. Good luck! Almost forgot,oven temp.While you are at wal-mart grab a 20 dollar multi-meter that measures temp. Put the k sensor in the oven,or if you are lucky enough to have a pid,go get em!

Page 431 of 742 FirstFirst ... 331381421422423424425426427428429430431432433434435436437438439440441481531 ... LastLast