Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Tazz.
    We have closed the indoor ranges. The outdoor ranges (IPSC, ICORE, Service, Cowboy etc etc) are still OK provided the people keep their distance. RO's are very attentive and LOUD!!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90650448_10159873215651164_5777140619856052224_o.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	259040

Boolit Buddy
    Both my clubs are closed now.

Have heaps of ammo loaded but wish I bought primers in the last group buy that was organised. Gonna be pricey when we can get them again.

I have a gun in NSW getting work done, i dont think I'll have a gunshop to send it to soon. It sounds like it might be closed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Tazz.
    We have closed the indoor ranges. The outdoor ranges (IPSC, ICORE, Service, Cowboy etc etc) are still OK provided the people keep their distance. RO's are very attentive and LOUD!!!!
    I think with my local range, SSAA they have been told they had to close, if we did matches with fewer people, i wonder if we can still do it. A mad mate is deep in the committee, so if there are any loop holes, he will find it to allow us to shoot a bit.

My steel match has 30-40 people, depending on the time of year, so i think that one will never happen till the threat is gone.

I also just bought 5k rounds of .22 and 10,000 primers. I held off as long as possible, but i know they will not go down in price, so may as well buy it now

SAPOL have closed all ranges in South Australia. Looks like I can't even go there to dig lead.

A hypothetical has been put forward about staff gaining access to the range.... lols........ For um Maintenance Purposes. Its that or we set up out at mine and go bananas out there....

Boolit Master
    All of the IDPA & USPA matches in my area have been rescheduled or canceled.

Boolit Bub
    Any high volume hi-tek coated bullet producers within driving distance to Augusta GA send me a PM.

Boolit Mold
    Closed ranges where I live as well.

So I tried coating in the cold.
    1-4 degrees celsius.

Put 10 kilos og boolits in the oven set at 50 degrees C.
    Emptied them into my bucket and coated them 3,5 kilos at time when boolittemp hadde droppet to a cosy warm.

Passed all tests.

Boolit Bub
    Lyman 457 500gr nose pour converted.3 coats of Black Cherry.

And picture wont upload.... Well they passed all tests and look good. Yall just have to belive me.
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

Banned
    warhead, make sure the picture is under 200 KB to upload, most of us use photo hosting services like IMGUR!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Conditor22 seems to have worked!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200325_150615.jpg   2020-03-25 15.07.48.jpg  
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

Banned

Boolit Bub
    I've enjoyed reading this thread. It is my hope that, once life gets back to functional, I can invest into Hi-Tek.

I couldn’t find any info on my question. I’m a new hitek user and found for some reason MEK seems to flow better over my tiny .32 swc bullets. What I’m finding is (using black) that the first coat is very heavy. I’m using 3 ML per every 2 lbs of bullets. I’ve got some candy red on the way to try as well.

I’ve tried acetone but for some reason it doesn’t want to coat the bullets as well. Maybe smaller 1 lb batches?

Any tips on using MEK? I really want to get these to work

Thanks

Boolit Mold

Hey Guys, I have tried searching through the thread and when I could not find what I was looking for decided to post. Those of you that are using probes inside your cast bullets did you use a specific type? I have destroyed two that I got off amazon and would rather not waist any more money trying to make this work. I ordered this...

https://www.amazon.com/Stanbroil-Tem...-garden&sr=1-4

And it seemed to work well. Used it for a few baking cycles to get a feel for how the oven works and how the heat changes when opening and closing the door. Then I decided to place on of the probes into a bullet like I have seen here. My lead was 710 when I cast, I poured some into the mold and then inserted the tip of the probe before it had solidified. Now the probe does not read anything. Any thoughts?

lablover

You other guys chime in.

Black is the color to start with. You can't over cook it and ruin the color. Assuming you followed the mixing directions that came with the coating, the thick coating on first coat is probably due to tumbling too long before dumping to dry plus having a little too much mix in the tumble. Try one ml per pound. The first coat should be almost like you can still see lead through the coating. Or what has been reffered to as just a stain rather than a coat. I think most are using about a 15 to 20 second tumble with acetone or until the sound of the tumble changes. I don't think that changes much with the MEK. That listening for the sound change is always hard for me. I have impaired hearing.

Did the bullets pass the smash test?

I personally use a closed tumble. I tumble in a closed plastic bowl. Note, this is not recommended by Joe, Ausglock and others. After years of doing it it is what works for me. Seems to give me a little more time to tumble and more evenly coat bullets. I use about 1ml per pound, tumble for 30 seconds and dump still wet. I also mix a little thinner than directions using acetone and usually do three coats on rifle and pistol. That gives me even coverage on everything but the hollow points. They are almost impossible to coat down in that hole. But doesn't really matter as far as the performance. I have shot single coated .308s at normal velocities with no leading. But they were ugly. This stuff works.

By the way, I love those labs myself. Have had two. Both were very smart trainable dogs with great dispositions. Only trouble I had with them in the house as puppies they like to chew things up. One got under the couch and chewed the leg off. Had a problem with the wife after that one. Also chewed part of the siding off of the house. We had all kinds of chew toys and leather that didn't help.

portersandstouts
    I'm using something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Proster-Therm...5591067&sr=8-3

Drilled bullet and secured end of thermocouple in it with aluminum tape.

Name:	Blue After Bake.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	259379
    Last edited by Avenger442; 03-30-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    MEK give a better coat than Acetone. the coating is smoother.
    3mls to 2Lb is about right. the first coat of K15 should be slightly "See through" before and after baking the first coat. the second coat of the same amount will give a smooth, shiny blacky black coating.
    Have you shot any??
    MEK allows for a longer swirl time. just remember to dump the swirled bullets while they are still wet. I have gone for a swirl time of 15 seconds lately, then dump.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Portersandstouts, those probes you used are rated to 700*F, it's no wonder they failed when you put them in hot lead. You want a K-type thermocouple, which is rated much higher. I bought a cheapie off ebay, similar to Avenger's which has a small thermocouple on the end, I just drilled a small hole in the base of the boolit and pushed in the sensor.

I have not shot any...after I coated and saw how thick it was I let em dry and right back in the casting pot it went! I’ll see if I can post a picture of what they looked like. Seemed a little grainy to me. I have OCD so something that doesn’t look right to me gets redone.. curse!

Then again, they might be correct. I also tried a metallic and the first coat was almost invisible. Let me figure out this picture thing....wooohooo victory

hope its not too small

Name:	IMG_2789.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	259403
    Last edited by lablover; 03-30-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Attachment 259405

Maybe better

Page 664 of 742 FirstFirst ... 164564614654655656657658659660661662663664665666667668669670671672673674714 ... LastLast