Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post

The personal lube stuff I kinda think would find itself out of its league, dontcha think?
    well, it's called aqualube as well,and it's water based. i tought that maybe the recipe for such water based lube is quite simple,then maybe one or the other would be quite the same.

the dillon case lube did ok,but nothing exceptionnal,it's just lanolyne and denatured alcohol. one shot gives better results in the ''slippery'' department, but at the price it sells i'll keep it for my XL650 and the cases......this lube thing got me an occasion to see the difference in texture between the diluted and the regular mix ; the darker livery has a rougher surface texture,then it kind of grip in the die , the diluted batch is silky smooth and glide in the die . the end result is the same, it's just the action of the press who gets the benefits of the silkier boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    well, it's called aqualube as well,and it's water based. i tought that maybe the recipe for such water based lube is quite simple,then maybe one or the other would be quite the same.

the dillon case lube did ok,but nothing exceptionnal,it's just lanolyne and denatured alcohol. one shot gives better results in the ''slippery'' department, but at the price it sells i'll keep it for my XL650 and the cases......this lube thing got me an occasion to see the difference in texture between the diluted and the regular mix ; the darker livery has a rougher surface texture,then it kind of grip in the die , the diluted batch is silky smooth and glide in the die . the end result is the same, it's just the action of the press who gets the benefits of the silkier boolits.
    Build your self one of these like I did.
    This contraption just keeps on going.
    I have sized over 1/4 million bullets on this. It is not as fast at the Magma sizer with collator, but the Mr Bullet feeder makes it a good bit of home made kit. I use it now for my personal stuff, as well as sizing the bullets used to test the experimental coatings from HITEK Joe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6h-iTHjP0
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I thought it was called Aqualube because you could lube em under water.

It has been two months since I said I wanted to do this but I finally got around to range time with the single coat Hi Tek bullets in the .308 rifle. The day was a hot one 90 F and about 80% humidity "feel like temp" was well over 100 F. I had used up the cooler part of the day with a chain saw on a storm damaged tree and didn't get to the range until 1 PM.

Load was a Lee 164 grain 13 BHN bullet sized .309 with one coat of 1035 Gold Hi Tek over 41.5 grains of H4895 in Winchester cases and CCI primer. Speed on this load is between 25 and 2600 fps. Rather than take my usual test mule to the range I used my Granddaughter's Remington 700 deer gun. It has a bull barrel, which I thought might handle the heat better, a 4-12X40 Remington scope and I had put a Caldwell bi pod on it. Since accuracy was not the focus but to see if the one coat would stand up to the pressure of my normal load in the rifle I didn't use the other rifle and Caldwell Lead Sled. And I was a bit worried that I might have to clean the lead out of my better rifle. As it turned out worry was not justified. I went down the barrel with a patch wet with Frog Lube this afternoon and a couple of dry patches to get it shined up. With the bore light I could see no fouling at all either end. I plan to take a look later with the bore cam but don't expect to find anything. Honestly the barrel looked like it did after I cleaned it before the test.

Like I said this is a deer rifle and the best groups I have seen it shoot were 2-3" at 100 yards depending on round. Good for hunting out to about 200 yards. Which is about the longest shot we would get around here. Best group for this test was 6". It was the next to last of the six five shot groups. I had brought some American Eagle 149 grain FMJ that I shot five rounds of first to dirty up the barrel. That group was 6 1/2 ". So either it was the heat, the bi pod, the loads or the shooter. Or a combination of some or all of them. And it might be that adding my usual two coats after sizing gives me a little more diameter? Anyway these groups were terrible. Which made me worry even more that I had leaded the barrel when I left the range. But the Hi Tek did it's job.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Build your self one of these like I did.
    This contraption just keeps on going.
    I have sized over 1/4 million bullets on this. It is not as fast at the Magma sizer with collator, but the Mr Bullet feeder makes it a good bit of home made kit. I use it now for my personal stuff, as well as sizing the bullets used to test the experimental coatings from HITEK Joe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6h-iTHjP0
    don't know about its reliability, but this thing seems to work very good.

Trevor,is there a tutorial somewhere with a part list for the build?

Boolit Master
    don't know about its reliability, but this thing seems to work very good.

Trevor,is there a tutorial somewhere with a part list for the build?
    Tutorial???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Parts List???? HAHAHAHAHA...
    I built it as I went. Welding and grinding to suit.
    I have plans to build another that will use a larger power motor and a 15:1 gearbox rather than a 20:1 to size faster.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Tutorial???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Parts List???? HAHAHAHAHA...
    I built it as I went. Welding and grinding to suit.
    I have plans to build another that will use a larger power motor and a 15:1 gearbox rather than a 20:1 to size faster.
    LOL!!!

hmmkay.

seems you're more talented than me , i couldn't figure out such one of a kind assembly from scratch .

Boolit Master

LOL!!!

hmmkay.

seems you're more talented than me , i couldn't figure out such one of a kind assembly from scratch .

As I said before, our Ausglock is the McGiver of our industry and can do any thing and make things from nothing.
    Next thing is, he will start production of sizing machines in his spare time.....lol...lol
    What's next?????

Boolit Master
    Ha..
    I have built a Sizer, A rotary coater and the next on my list is automating the Ballisti-cast Mark X caster.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

and the next on my list is automating the Ballisti-cast Mark X caster.

....so you can rest on the couch watching it running one eye closed like the dude of your avatar lol

Boolit Master
    Sadly i can't venture fare from my master caster. If i stop looking it's way, it slacks off and does something naughty!

I like your sizer

He better not... beside how many hilux motors are there laying around

Just so happens I have been cleared by the wife to play in the shed again making these..

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Mod-for-AS-2

As you can see from the original post date I been cobbling these together since 2015.

Watch the videos on utube, links in the post, if your interested Gremlin460@optushome.com.au will get you more info.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    Can they work with the lee classic cast press? I think the primer hole is in the centre of the tube.

I definitely need something like that before my air cylinder takes my fingertips off.

It is based on you having one of these cheapo presses...

Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Press Reloader 90588

And i know what you mean about air powered, that's why I refuse to build anyone the AS/3 I made just for giggles, it punches through pine boards without slowing down..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post

Just so happens I have been cleared by the wife to play in the shed again making these..

As you can see from the original post date I been cobbling these together since 2015.

Watch the videos on utube, links in the post, if your interested Gremlin460@optushome.com.au will get you more info.

Well, I have an old Volkswagen Motor that has run about 30 hours, my be he can connect it with a flexible driveshaft.....

Boolit Buddy
    Bummer I bought the wrong press. Currently using the cheap C frame lee with an air cylinder at the moment. The plan was to build something like your AS/3 so I could just watch it.

Hard to find the time though lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post

watched your videos. intersting resizing solution right there,and depending how much you ask for the kit, would probably get me one unit for experimentations , as soon as possible for you to build me one of your kits .

while i may be quite new to casting, the resizing job is already something of absolute boringness .......honestly, i think i'm heading the automated resizer route. first guy offering something half decent has a sale lol.

BTW,i've sent you a PM asking more about your resizer,maybe you mailbox is full.......

I answered your message.
    Sounds to me you want an industrial unit that is auto powered... You should be able to buy one like that for several thousand dollars, or get an engineer to build you one.

The units I make are more for the home reloaders , although some small home based bullet makers have got one or two.

Or alternatively you can simply build something that suits you specific needs yourself. Like Ausglock and I did.

Boolit Master
    I made one from parts i had laying around too, including a VFD my dad had no idea what it was and was going to go on the scrap pile!

Not a great video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYMW5v0P5SY

Looks pretty good Tazza.
    Trevor, what do you call yours, Frankenfeeder?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Looks pretty good Tazza.
    Trevor, what do you call yours, Frankenfeeder?
    Or the finger pincher?

That is one thing i make sure of, never put a paw anywhere near the punch, i can see it causing some pretty nasty damage.

Page 510 of 742 FirstFirst ... 10410460500501502503504505506507508509510511512513514515516517518519520560610 ... LastLast