Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    There are all kinds of conversion charts on the internet. You should be able to convert about anything. You could also weigh your bullets instead of counting. A lot faster. I guarantee this stuff will work if you have the right amount of bullets,the right amount of coating,and are sure the temp in your oven is correct. We all had failures when we first started. My only experience is with pistol bullets and Hi-tek is superior to anything else out there! You got the instructions with your coating? Focus on those.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

i make another batch 2 weeks ago with the candy apple red and they all pass wipe and smash test and i was very happy whit the result, when i size them a few were scraped on one side , i supposed is a cast issue
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

now i decided to put it a third coat and WD them after to get more bhn and it all flaked to the bare lead on smash test

anyone know why ?

Boolit Master
    Coating should not scrape off when sizing unless you are sizing down a lot. If it is cured properly it will not scrape off. Waterdropping shouldn't cause it to come off. Go back and double check everything, proper proportions, proper amount of bullets,temp in the oven, drying time. What alloy are you using? How did they shoot?

May be a pass. Here are some of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smash Test 1 041715.jpg   Smash Test 2 041715.jpg  
    Last edited by Avenger442; 06-08-2016 at 05:24 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

If using a Lee sizer, make sure it 'floats' a bit in the press and is 'clean'. Seems any mis-alignment can cause scraping and leave the die dirty so the next one is bad also. I have to be careful doing the smash test on concrete as the coating micro-cracks and comes off.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDoubleJ View Post
    I think I have the sound change part figured out, I definitely missed it on my very first batch, but on my latest one I dumped them as soon as they stopped clinking. As for coating 200 of them, I don't have 200 of them. They're 340gr .458s, I think I cast about 140 of them, which ended up being nearly 1/3 of my entire supply of lead. I also remember my first batch looking like they had nothing on them, so I kept glopping more in until they looked coated. I'll attempt a much lighter coating, or maybe just put some acetone in my tupperware and thin out the coating that stuck to the bottom of that. I should also make a conversion chart of metric to SAE, as the instructions (which I did read, but this thread does have 363 pages...) and advice I'm getting here use units of measure that my country still stubbornly refuses to teach us. I did all the conversions when I made my mix, but when you all say kilos and mls I get totally lost.
    From someone who has screwed up in almost every way imaginable. Weight the bullets, do not count them. Swirl them for 15-20 seconds, count it off if you need to. If the first coat is anything but barely barely visable then it is too thick. If you do not have an oven thermo or a thermocouple, get one since no oven is accurate to the knob/display. Get a timer or use your phone and do not put it in another room and forget it for 30 minutes (dont ask how I know this)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Corral View Post
    i make another batch 2 weeks ago with the candy apple red and they all pass wipe and smash test and i was very happy whit the result, when i size them a few were scraped on one side , i supposed is a cast issue
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

now i decided to put it a third coat and WD them after to get more bhn and it all flaked to the bare lead on smash test

anyone know why ?
    Same issue i got twice, I am quite confused on this. For further inquiry, did they actually flake? If I am at all concerned I wrap mine in something white and can see if anything flakes.

Boolit Buddy
    My first go at this. Previously did 45/45/10 but the colors in hi Tek really intrigued me.

I did 20/100 powder to acetone. Let the mixture set an hour before using. I did 1 mil per lb of bullets. Cooked all around 11-12 minutes. Don't have a thermometer yet. Passed smash and wiped test.

I did screw up and use the same tub to mix. The black turned to black cherry cuz I DD a batch of red before. Zombie green got some black and red too. I'm gonna get separate tubs for colors now

Boolit Grand Master

Way back in this thread I posted about the rough machining on the taper of the Lee push thru sizers. This is the area where the boolit enters the die and is sized up towards the middle of the die. I used a split rod in a cordless drill with some fine emery paper in it. Think around 400 grit. Doesn't take much to smooth out the lathe marks and stay away from the part that actually determines what the boolit is sized to.
    I run my boolits over my RCBS pad for case lubing and it really helps ease the sizing. I use the RCBS case lube also.
    What popper said about the Lee die being misaligned is true. I leave the die loose and run a boolit up into it, then snug up the lock ring.

Boolit Master
    For the new guys,there are several how to videos on you tube about using Hi-Tek. Our own Gremlin 460 has one that is really good. He weighs and measures everything and gets excellent and consistent results.

Boolit Master
    Hitek's Sizing lube works wonders too.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

anyone know why ?

I have had the same experience with a 3rd coat not passing the smash test after the first and second coat passed.

This was discussed some pages back. The way Hi-Tek Joe explained it to me is that the coating is sort of like glass the thinner it is the more flexible it is.

So I have proved to myself that getting the coating on too thick can fail the smash test but I have shot a lot of these bullets with out any leading or any other problems, so I would not remelt them unless they are leading your barrel.

I mostly do 2 coats 1st coat mixed 125/20, 2nd coat 100/20 baked for 12 min at 200 C +. If you want more BHN the best way is to change alloy, I use 6-2-92 for every thing.

As for your sizing problem just polish the sizing die.

Hope this is help full, I am still on the learning curve and this coating works so good that I don't see me ever going back to wax lube.

Boolit Buddy
    I just received a small lot of The Dark Blue and Dark Green powdered Hi-Tek
    If interested send a pm to me here or e-mail me at hiperformancebulletcoatings@gmail.com

i just finished reading all the previous post , yes all the 7255 post , i m a little bit crazy , it s also what my wife tell me sometimes
    and more than the english is not my native language ,i am a french canadian , thanks to google translate lol, it took me about 3 weeks but i learned a lot

i want to size before the last coat and in same time the WD because it s smooter to size 11-12 bhn than 15-16 bhn i have after WD after the last coat

Boolit Master
    i just finished reading all the previous post , yes all the 7255 post , i m a little bit crazy , it s also what my wife tell me sometimes
    and more than the english is not my native language ,i am a french canadian , thanks to google translate lol, it took me about 3 weeks but i learned a lot

i want to size before the last coat and in same time the WD because it s smooter to size 11-12 bhn than 15-16 bhn i have after WD after the last coat
    Hahaha... How did google translate handle the Aussie Lingo?
    I reckon it would have been scratching its head saying "Stone the bloody crows, Digger, I better have a Butchers at another dictionary before I hit the fartsack"
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Hahaha... How did google translate handle the Aussie Lingo?
    I reckon it would have been scratching its head saying "Stone the bloody crows, Digger, I better have a Butchers at another dictionary before I hit the fartsack"
    Couldnt translate "dropbear". Man that thing looks scary.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dropbear.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	169874

Boolit Master
    Drop bears love tourists...fresh meat..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Too right, cobber. Nature made them look cute and cuddly, so the tourists get close and then it's bye bye tourist!

Boolit Master
    Met a bloke once. 1/2 his face was gone and 1 ear.
    Huge scar tissue on his neck and down his arm.
    2 Drop bears got him down Jindy way.
    only thing that saved him was the creek he crawled to.
    He knew Drop Bears hate water.
    he drifted down stream for 3 days.
    Maggots ate the rotten meat on his cheek. Only thing that saved his good eye.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Met a bloke once. 1/2 his face was gone and 1 ear.
    Huge scar tissue on his neck and down his arm.
    2 Drop bears got him down Jindy way.
    only thing that saved him was the creek he crawled to.
    He knew Drop Bears hate water.
    he drifted down stream for 3 days.
    Maggots ate the rotten meat on his cheek. Only thing that saved his good eye.
    Cricky cobber sounds more like one of those bunyips to me stone the crows mate.

Page 363 of 742 FirstFirst ... 263313353354355356357358359360361362363364365366367368369370371372373413463 ... LastLast