Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2PBcastco
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Is anyone here a fan of the Deadpool movies???
    Well... Here is my Deadpool coating.
    2 Coats of Red 254
    1 coat of Black K15.
    WOW, that is a weird colour. Does it pass smash?

Boolit Master
    Sure does.
    Pass Wipe and Smash tests...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Way to go Trev! I'd like to see the PC brigade do that.....

Banned
    OK, I dabble in PC also

Boolit Master
    Nice, Grmps
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    OK, I dabble in PC also

Grmps
    I am envious with those colours, can't do that with Hi-Tek

Boolit Master
    Joe - Time to get your thinking cap on to get those fancy colours

I know some people want pretty colours for their bullets, but at the end of the day, we all just want something that won't lead up our barrels and keep us away from lead when loading.

AusGlock - awesome deadpool projectiles there

Boolit Man
    One of my favorite colors for PC is mayan gold. it looks black but has gold streaks in it. Sorta subtle in the house lights but really shows up in the sun..

lazs

Boolit Man
    I posted this in another thread but thought it might be of interest here... basically I talked to the editor of Handloader mag a some time back about coated bullets . very nice guy... listened well and asked good questions... anyway... this just happened yesterday.

Wow.. just as I finish writing the above my new issue of Handloader comes in. The June issue. and missouri bullet gets one mention and one full article... then mention is on MP molds and the article is Venturio doing a test of about 5 caliber of MB Hi-Tek coated bullets. He uses a few not very accurate handguns and some real good ones... he uses only one bullet weight for each caliber except 9mm I believe... that is fine.. only one or two loads all pretty much full tilt.

Anyway.. he gets some pretty good results. He admits that some guns with mismatched throat/barrel dia that did not shoot well before all of a sudden got some good groups. most groups ran around 2" at 25 yards from a ransom rest but I am sure even the poor performing ones could do better with some different loadings.

What would have made the test better in my opinion would have been if he had shot the same bullets and loads from the same guns in both conventional lube/size and the HT coat ones to compare... and... if he had actually mentioned no smoke and how easy the guns cleaned up... he pretty much just says that when he is feeling lazy he might use the MB HT bullets... oh well... baby steps right?

Again.. call me cynical but..... Missouri Bullet is advertising their HT coated bullets in the mag.

lazs

I noticed the article, too. Was wondering, since I'm not familiar with them, if Missouri Bullets were Hi Tek coated. I had sent a request, I think to this magazine, a few months back when they had covered PC bullets that they have a look at Hi Tek. Didn't notice any mention of Hi Tek in this article.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Banned
    Trevor, I have to try your Deadpool coating.2 Coats of Red 254 1 coat of Black K15.on my next batch of HT

Joe, HiTeks advantages far outweigh its color limitations.

After muddling around with cookie cutter style coating, then Lee Alox swirling in a bucket then standing on end 24 hours to dry and making up a ton of homemade bullet lube and with all the dies getting full of it, I finally found Hi-Tek Gold. And when I reorder, it will be Hi-Tek Gold. No need for anything else. Oh, maybe Hi-Tek Copper.

There'll be no going back for you now, OBH.

Ok Grmps, I'll have to concede that you've made spotty PC boolits (although to me they look like coatings that haven't worked right ) BUT can you PC the Deadpool coating? It's got me intrigued a bit now, wondering what I can do with the meagre supply of colours that I have.

Boolit Master
    I have done a Camo coating before.
    2 coats of red copper with one coat of Dark green.
    Also done a reverse Texas tea.
    2 coats of Black with 1 coat of Gold1035 over the top.
    Did an Aussie Green N Gold
    2 coats of Kryptonite with 1 coat of Gold 1035 on top.
    Did these for Australia Day.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    My zombie green should arrive today so I'll do some coating tonight. I can hear my wife complaining already.

Boolit Buddy
    Zombie green in the house.

This colour looks so nice. 1 cooked coat, 1 freshly applied.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180514_210203.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	220382

2 coats cooked.

Name:	20180514_212434.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	220383

Smashy smashy.

Name:	20180514_213250.jpg 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	220385

Maybe a bit dark compared to some photos I've seen. It's dark in my shed though and under flouros.

Same mix and cooking as before with black cherry. 20g/100mls acetone. 4 mls per 2kg. 10 minutes at 200 degrees celsius.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180514_192236.jpg  

Boolit Man
    In the article in question.. he mentions about half way down on the first column of the first page of the article that the bullets are Hi-Tek coated.. he also said that he had never seen such a thing.... I mean.. seriously? the guy shoots lots of gas operated guns with ports and such and has to clean all the bullet lube out of em and never sought a solution?

lazs

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Zombie green in the house.

This colour looks so nice. 1 cooked coat, 1 freshly applied.

Name:	20180514_210203.jpg 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	220382

2 coats cooked.

Name:	20180514_212434.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	220383

Smashy smashy.

Name:	20180514_213250.jpg 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	220385

Maybe a bit dark compared to some photos I've seen. It's dark in my shed though and under flouros.

Same mix and cooking as before with black cherry. 20g/100mls acetone. 4 mls per 2kg. 10 minutes at 200 degrees celsius.
    dansedgli
    You have done very well. These look great.
    Just an observation, on the last cooked tray, seems to indicate on some being a tad more Tan than rest. I am wondering if you may have had a hot spot area where these cooked a bit harder, or is it shadow on picture? Irrespective, I think that they are great and you are doing well with having this one the first time to use.
    The way you are going, you will out do Ausglock......

I have to admit I do not have a subscription and was just reading over it in the book store while waiting on the wife. Not surprised I missed the mention of Hi Tek.

Started coating for the single coat test this week. I've always wanted to try this. If you can put one coat of Hi Tek on a bullet and it still perform pretty much the same you can use less coating time and effort. After baking that single coat, sizing and installing gas check I will let the bullets sit about two weeks to bring BHN back up. BHN two weeks from cast is about 13. Will load them for the .308 to about 2600-2700 fps and see what happens. The coating is some old left over 1035 Gold mixed several months ago. Well shaken not bruised by stirring.

Found something interesting in some of the old mixed coatings as I was shaking them up and deciding which one I would use. Some of you guys may remember some test colors I did with yellow, orange and dark green. That was about a year ago. They have been sitting around mixed on the floor of my basement and last night I decided to add a little acetone and shake them. They all have been kept in liquid dish washing detergent bottles with snap shut lids and a bullet agitator in the bottom. The orange and the yellow, after long vigorous shaking, began to mix again. The dark green had formed a skin on the bottom of the bottle similar to what you see on the surface of a can of old paint. It was gradually breaking down after long period of shaking but not sure I will attempt to use it. They all, including the 1035 Gold, had turned dark in the bottles and had deposited some of the coating on the sides. I have shot coatings that have been mixed for several months, I think six months was the oldest, with no problems with performance or any leading. I believe all of them darkened over time so colors would not be the same. If you are going to use some old mixed, be ready to shake it long and hard.

One other thing. I had one mixed old batch that the solvent had evaporated out of it completely. Not sure how old it was. But is was stored in one of those restaurant type squeeze bottles bought at Wall Mart so it had to be over a year. I swapped to the detergent bottles over a year ago. It had a snap on lid at the tip but was not tight enough to keep the solvent from evaporating.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 05-14-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    One other thing. I had one mixed old batch that the solvent had evaporated out of it completely. Not sure how old it was. But is was stored in one of those restaurant type squeeze bottles bought at Wall Mart so it had to be over a year.
    Avenger,
    If you added some Acetone to this dried up lot, if you can dissolve it, please try to coat with it.
    It will be very dark coating, but I am interested to see if it continues to work after such storage.
    In theory, it should work as it has not been heat exposed. Sunlight will darken both liquids and powders with time. Powders seem to be affected at surface of containers but the rest remains OK.

Page 500 of 742 FirstFirst ... 400450490491492493494495496497498499500501502503504505506507508509510550600 ... LastLast