WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox PBcastco
Page 1 of 742 123456789101151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Banned

Lightbulb simple Hi-Tek coating

First coat, ready for oven. Now a boolit is a bullet. Yes!

Mixing stuff

My widdle oven' HamiltonBeach convection oven/K-mart/99bucks.

I gonna luv this stuff, no lead no copper, no sticky stinking alox (unless recluse recipe) any more. Yay!
    Course, i did order a 800 dollar magma star also,, guess iam hooked up.
    Last edited by gunoil; 06-22-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    800 dollars? What didn't you get on it?

Boolit Grand Master

I bought more of the Lee push thru dies and had Buckshot make me one for the Mak. I put them in the 4 hole turret for my Lee Classic Turret press and it is very fast to size the boolits. In this case I don't see where the Star would be any faster at sizing, maybe easier if you automate it.
    I have been thinking of a way to automate my Lee but the issue is loading the boolit on the base punch. Don't want my fingers in there! Might turn it upside down like someone did here.
    your work area is way to clean and neat.

Banned

i shoot stuff from you leadman. Worked great.
    Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXbLxgJnBnI

Heres ya sizer idea!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJOkb3RxrZE

Only reason iam going in pain for magma star is to also have conventional blue lube and future motor maybe. I love bigtime mechanical stuff. And offcourse the bullet feed .

Would be nice next year to have mrbulletfeeder.net running the hi-tek supercoat boolits thru it. Call me and i'll tell ya how to turn your loadmaster into a auto size machine. You want believe it. I can size hi-tek supercoat bullets after coated.

btroj: I have all they offer except for a motor.
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-02-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ok, that explains the cost.

Boolit Master
    Great stuff, Gunoil.
    I cast and coated a few 100 45 and 9mm bullets yesterday.

I am trying a small sample of the blue/greem coating.
    I mixed it 5 parts colour, 7 parts acetone and 1 part catalyst.
    This is what they look like after coating the first time and before cooking.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-22_16-27-37_385.jpg 
Views:	1935 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	74330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-20_20-57-28_672.jpg 
Views:	1994 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	74331
    This is them after the first cook.

Name:	2013-06-22_11-57-56_717.jpg 
Views:	1967 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	74332
    and after the second coating cooked.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-22_16-28-07_755.jpg 
Views:	2126 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	74333
    the 45 SWC don't have coating in the groove or where the nose joins the body of the bullet. HI-TEK Joe said that if the coating is in the groove, you are using too much.

The 45RN microgroove bullets got a first coat of red/copper and the second coat of the blue/green.
    They actually came out great. they have a Camo type coating to them.
    Camo coating

Name:	2013-06-23_15-52-03_799.jpg 
Views:	1977 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	74345
    More Camo coating.

Name:	2013-06-23_15-52-12_446.jpg 
Views:	1908 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	74346
    I think that if anyone has question or tips on using the HI-TEK Supercoating, they should ask them on this thread as the other thread is getting a bit long. If that is OK with you Gunoil?
    There is the Piglet thread and the powdercoat thread, so hows about keeping this one for the HI-TEK Coating? Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 06-23-2013 at 04:07 AM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

Thats great idea. Iam sold on this and have plenty of time to help people with Hi-Tek Supercoat. I ran my first 50 (9mm) thru loadmaster. Really super simple! Hunt correct oven took a while. And makeing my wire racks a few hours. Thats it!

GATHERED UP THE MIX STUFF BELOW.

I bought wire mesh from home depot and made large dry rack and installed mesh on oven racks with some twisted inch pieces of wire.
    Last edited by gunoil; 05-26-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Banned

while I am pretty sure this stuff works.
    I ain't sold on it replacing proper fit and alloy selection for high velocity cast shooting.

i'm still watching though.

Boolit Grand Master

I cut the mesh larger than the racks and bent the sides up so the boolits don't roll off. I do have to move them a ways as I don't bak in the garage but outside due to the fumes. Then when baked I move them back into the garage and place them under the evaporative cooler to cool, which only takes a few minutes. I think I would drop too many boolits if I didn't turn up the sides.

Boolit Buddy
    I like your results gunoil. After doing a ton of research and then doing even more, I'm also sold on the product. I have started importing it and will be using it exclusively for my coating. It's very difficult to ignore over 20 years of data usage and success.

Banned

R5R, u want a few 9's or 45's for the second time. You can load em up. You get near this you'll be sold.

Leadman, i dont shake as bad as you do. Think i do have contact high.

Yep, gateway. Its like christmas round here. What i like is , you can slosh ya cool whip container & throw out on rack 500 or 1000 then come back a day later and bake. Or keep process going while i am reloading or washing brass. Time it with my iphone and go.

My re-aranged area, all ya need.

Banned

9's and 45's I have 5 gallon buckets full of, that are sized/lubed and waiting to be loaded.

it's cast in rifles at 24-2500fps with accuracy that i'm looking at.
    I just can't justify adding another process unless it has those type of capability's.

it does have some other possibility's if the thickness can be controlled
    to say .001
    I appreciate the offer though.

oh one more question. how does the scrap melt back down when you reclaim it?

i'm not knocking the process, i'm curious about the whole thing.

Banned

I threw on bullet back in the pot, junk just laying on top, i dont flux.

Why dont you call donnie and order a small amount. Coat your 223 with this and shoot, no gas checks[correction/with gas checks]. All i had to buy was a convection toaster oven.

What do your rifles shoot? You have a 223 mold i guess?
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-02-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Banned

I designed JT's 223 mold so yeah I have one or two.
    I mainly push them in the 2700fps area right now, but adding another .001 to them wouldn't hurt in one of my rifles.
    i'm working on H/V in a 10 twist 308 right now but it won't chamber if I add any more diameter over the as cast diameter.

I have been waiting for the gold colored stuff to come for a while now.

Boolit Grand Master
    I too am intrigued but haven't decided I want another process to contend with.

What keeps the bullets from sticking together or to the screen when cooked? Can a large batch be processed, dried, then baked together?

Doing 25 at a time is a big negative to me

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I too am intrigued but haven't decided I want another process to contend with.

What keeps the bullets from sticking together or to the screen when cooked? Can a large batch be processed, dried, then baked together?

Doing 25 at a time is a big negative to me
    G'day. When you apply the coating, you lay them out on a drying tray/rack for 1/2hour. the bullets are dry after this. they do not stick together. I will fill my trays (12"x12") with 300 9mm bullets at a time. when they have finished cooking, they are rolling around the tray. no sticking or contact marks at all.

I have 4 drying trays and 4 cooking trays. That way I can keep track of where I'm up to.
    The commercial caster/coaters in OZ use trays similar to what bakers use. They coat in cement mixers a few 1000 at a time and them spread the bullets out on these large trays to dry. They might have 50,000 drying at any one time. Then they cook in a moving Buger king type oven.

So large quantities at one time are no problem.

The convection ovens are cheap and do a great job. I coated 4000 9mm and 45 bullets last night ( 2 coats) in 1 1/2 hours. That is why I have 8 trays. when one is cooked, another is ready to go straight in the oven. no waiting.
    Tonight I'm going to size these and then get some more alloy ready to cast the following night.
    My missus says that she has become a bullet widow
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

My first nite, First nite, Newbie!

U know the white bullet boxes, they hold a 1000 9mm.
    You have alox'ed before, same, but shake-n-bake. But its what your left with is the "kind" to your barrel and your reload system, whatever brand you use. With 6 shots, it cleaned out 60% of lead in my barrel. I can and totally cleaned barrel because on that particular pistol, i will only shoot hi-Tek supercoat. And when i get caught up, my xds45 too! I shoot 380/9/45,, my 380 mold is a CNC shop.

I want some blue ones mate, they sell blue in USA?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    G'day. When you apply the coating, you lay them out on a drying tray/rack for 1/2hour. the bullets are dry after this. they do not stick together. I will fill my trays (12"x12") with 300 9mm bullets at a time. when they have finished cooking, they are rolling around the tray. no sticking or contact marks at all.

I have 4 drying trays and 4 cooking trays. That way I can keep track of where I'm up to.
    The commercial caster/coaters in OZ use trays similar to what bakers use. They coat in cement mixers a few 1000 at a time and them spread the bullets out on these large trays to dry. They might have 50,000 drying at any one time. Then they cook in a moving Buger king type oven.

So large quantities at one time are no problem.

The convection ovens are cheap and do a great job. I coated 4000 9mm and 45 bullets last night ( 2 coats) in 1 1/2 hours. That is why I have 8 trays. when one is cooked, another is ready to go straight in the oven. no waiting.
    Tonight I'm going to size these and then get some more alloy ready to cast the following night.
    My missus says that she has become a bullet widow
    No need to worry if they are in contact when drying?

Interesting.

I can certainly understand the appeal. Ease of use makes a big difference.

Are they sized after baking? Before coating?

Hmmmmm

Boolit Master
    I size after the 2 coats are applied and cooked.
    But there is no reason why you can't size first (provided you don't use any sort of lube etc) and then coat. The coating only adds a few microns to the dia of the bullets.
    I have tested some 45 bullets sized to .452 and measured with micrometer .4522 2 coats then brought the size to .4523.

When you apply the wet coating, you tumble the bullets and the coating in a bucket to spread the coating over the bullets. you can actually hear a change in the rattle the bullets make as the coating starts to dry (15 to 25 seconds). this is when you tip them onto the drying trays and leave for 1/2 hour. The bullets do not stick to anything.

It is harder to tell how to do it than it is to do it. So simple and easy.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    My first nite, First nite, Newbie!
    I want some blue ones mate, they sell blue in USA?
    The blue coating actually comes out an Emerald Green after cooking.
    Just think how happy the enviro-Nazis will be when you tell them you are shooting Green bullets.

Saving the planet one bullet at a time.......
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 1 of 742 123456789101151101501 ... LastLast