Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Tested a few new colours for HITEK Joe today.
    There is a very nice Graphite Grey and a Purple/ Maroon

I'm sure he will post the photos.

I really like the Graphite Grey ( Gray to you heathen northerners)
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Tested a few new colours for HITEK Joe today.
    There is a very nice Graphite Grey and a Purple/ Maroon

I'm sure he will post the photos.

I really like the Graphite Grey ( Gray to you heathen northerners)

Yes its true, there were several new colours that were tested. Intentions was for a Pink for Ladies, and hopefully a Blue shade.
    Well, I got neither, and results were a little disappointing aside from a few pretty new colours. I have not given up as there were only mark one test samples. Now that I know what is happening, I can try to go back to the drawing board and do a follow up and try re-formulated mix.
    This Hi-Tek coating is making me crazy. It just does not want to play the game. Mixtures look nothing like finished product.
    Now, the site wont let me post test colours as they are too large in data. I don't know how to reduce data size of pictures.

Boolit Master
    Why not just come up with a name for the color,whatever it is and market it. If the pink turns out not pink call it what it is. I'll betcha the guys will buy it as long as it is different. Everybody wants new colors. I have read where the human brain is stimulated by color. I wish I had one so I could find out for myself. Take it easy on yourself Joe,you have done a fantastic job. you and Ausglock make a great team. I may be stepping over the line with my statement,if so I apologize.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Why not just come up with a name for the color,whatever it is and market it. If the pink turns out not pink call it what it is. I'll betcha the guys will buy it as long as it is different. Everybody wants new colors. I have read where the human brain is stimulated by color. I wish I had one so I could find out for myself. Take it easy on yourself Joe,you have done a fantastic job. you and Ausglock make a great team. I may be stepping over the line with my statement,if so I apologize.
    Thanks Much Slide. All is OK.
    I wish that someone could let me know how to post pictures on this site that would automatically be adjusted to allow posting.
    I posted exactly same sized pictures previously, and all went well. Something was changed with site so now it wont accept same size pictures.
    With colours, I can try and name them but I think that these experimental ones, even though they looked and performed great, was not what I was aiming at, and currently am brainstorming why these crazy results emerge. Brainstorming???? I need a brain first lol lol

Boolit Master
    Graphite Grey

Purple/Maroon
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

The Purple-Maroon (I'd say Maroon, based on the photo) looks nice. Slide is right, many people like having a choice (and some always want the latest thing to come out) plus it always looks impressive to customers when a product has a big range available.

The problem with this stuff is it goes so far that what I've already got will likely outlast me, so buying more colours doesn't make sense. I suppose I could cast, coat and sell them, but that seems like too much effort for my liking!

Boolit Buddy
    The purple I'd call Grape.

purple maroon looks like cherry red;must be the lighting though.

graphite gray ....awesome color. i'm in love with old gold.still have some zombie green to go through,then will try to get some old gold.i'm confident i will find a stash along my way:

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    I suppose I could cast, coat and sell them, but that seems like too much effort for my liking!
    i'm getting 2 mastercaster in the next few months which will end up automated down the road. while brainstorming my business plan( i'm seeking the shooting sport crowd at first ) , i realized that the only problematic part into such little start up really is the resizing system. i don't see me cranking a lever all night long to size my production ;not talking about the fact you must have different diameters available to accomodate different customers . as example, for 9mm 356 and .357 should cover most situations .in 40 .400 is the norm. resizing being the catch , the 8500$ resizing system offered by magma is the only way to go. the machine is able to resize up to 6000hrs ; i just don't see how i
    could run away without it . the casting machines doesn't claim much investments.the resizing part of the business does.

as for the material, i'm presently building some ties with most shop repairs in my area ; my business plan rely on the fact the lead provided by the shops will end up in a recycling loop in the sens that my lead will all end up at the different ranges around here;then,i can collect it again and again with no ends, my lead will never be dispersed in the wild; then,i can say my business is totally GREEN,and this simple fact pleases my futur lead providers.

of course i also contacted a small foundry in the city to get a deal on their 92-6-2 if ever my start up grow some wings.
    Last edited by glockfan; 05-26-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    purple maroon looks like cherry red;must be the lighting though.

graphite gray ....awesome color. i'm in love with old gold.still have some zombie green to go through,then will try to get some old gold.i'm confident i will find a stash along my way:
    glockfan,
    If you like Old Gold, you would also like Gold 1035. It is brilliant, and glittery in the Sun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    i'm getting 2 mastercaster in the next few months which will end up automated down the road. while brainstorming my business plan( i'm seeking the shooting sport crowd at first ) , i realized that the only problematic part into such little start up really is the resizing system. i don't see me cranking a lever all night long to size my production ;not talking about the fact you must have different diameters available to accomodate different customers . as example, for 9mm 356 and .357 should cover most situations .in 40 .400 is the norm. resizing being the catch , the 8500$ resizing system offered by magma is the only way to go. the machine is able to resize up to 6000hrs ; i just don't see how i
    could run away without it . the casting machines doesn't claim much investments.the resizing part of the business does.

as for the material, i'm presently building some ties with most shop repairs in my area ; my business plan rely on the fact the lead provided by the shops will end up in a recycling loop in the sens that my lead will all end up at the different ranges around here;then,i can collect it again and again with no ends, my lead will never be dispersed in the wild; then,i can say my business is totally GREEN,and this simple fact pleases my futur lead providers.

of course i also contacted a small foundry in the city to get a deal on their 92-6-2 if ever my start up grow some wings.

glockfan
    Sound like you are going full steam ahead and happy with where you are going. In setting up, and once people get to know what you have and can supply, it simply escalates from there. You will soon find yourself not being able to keep up, and having to increase production, and bottlenecks show up continuously.
    If all goes well, no equipment failures occur, things will go smooth as Silk. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    glockfan
    Sound like you are going full steam ahead and happy with where you are going. In setting up, and once people get to know what you have and can supply, it simply escalates from there. You will soon find yourself not being able to keep up, and having to increase production, and bottlenecks show up continuously.
    If all goes well, no equipment failures occur, things will go smooth as Silk. Keep up the good work.
    this post is very,very encouraging for me.i'm retired from my trucking business,left the driver seat to my son...ooh,we only have 10 to 15 trucks working (depending the time of the year). son still need some coaching,i'm backing him more as a consellor.since my retirement 5 years ago (or so) ,the first few years i was on the idle,bicycling,shooting,doin what i love all day long. things were getting boring till i discovered casting.i love doin it by hand,but i guess i'm more of a business person, after a few months casting my own , i started to think about it on a larger scale....now,here i am seriously planning on a small start up in hope people will like the quality of my work,and if so it'll translate into a growing business; while i don't want it to outgrow my goal,BUT i can see myself in need of a bullet master (11k's).

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=glockfan;4377856]

glockfan, a PM was sent

Boolit Master
    Joe - Seems like your coating is acting a lot like glaze that they put on ceramics, goes in the kiln white, comes out black

I know a lot of people see a colour go on one shade and expect it to cure the same, just like painting a car, but it simply doesn't. Almost like you need a note to say colours are a guide only, results may differ IF customers feel this is an issue. I know it doesn't alter performance in any way.

Both new colours look great to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Joe - Seems like your coating is acting a lot like glaze that they put on ceramics, goes in the kiln white, comes out black

I know a lot of people see a colour go on one shade and expect it to cure the same, just like painting a car, but it simply doesn't. Almost like you need a note to say colours are a guide only, results may differ IF customers feel this is an issue. I know it doesn't alter performance in any way.

what i noticed is the color may display some variations ONLY if the cooking is not perfect. by perfect i mean,only the ''needed'''' amount of time at the right temp.it's the only part where we could say hi tek is a bit imprevisible: the color you get when everything is done. like any recipe, one must follow it by the letter to extract the best possible result.

Boolit Master

I Pulled a couple of overbooked bullets out of the bottom of the oven tonight. Some have been in there over a year. I think I only have 2 that are the same so I might not reload them for a while till I get around to a batch those specific to a cartridge.
    I can say that they don't really look much different from the standard bullets. I'll post some pics tomorrow if I get a chance.
    I can say that I did leave the oven on for 4 days a couple weeks ago. So these bullets have seen at the very least 96 straight hours of cycling in the oven. Not to count the many times the oven has been on in the past 6 months to a year (cast some 44s 6 months ago but I haven't cast 311365 in at least a year)
    pics to follow tomorrow. Maybe I'll load the 9 while the press it set up for that and the 311365 for blackout. I'll so a smash test on the other ones.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post

Thanks for input Tazza,
    You are correct in many ways. The coatings can have variability with colours. With coating data, and coating advice, these variations are touched upon, but no direct references are made of possibility of final colours possibly of varying, and photos of finished results should be really a guide as to what may be expected..
    In US, it is advertised that way, that pictures are only a guide for users.
    From batch to batch process in making the polymer, can produce some variations with final polymer colour before it is used to make the coatings.
    Further complications are, that depend on user, with deciding oven time and temperatures in oven, temperature control efficiency, fan forced or not fan forced, load size , mixing of base and coating materials, all can contribute to variations with finished colours.
    That is why, users have been advised to get process to work with what equipment they are using, and, when results is what they want, then, repeat it exactly over and over to maximise reproducibility.
    As you said, these colour variations, do not affect performance results being sought.
    The other area of colour changes that are possible, is the darkening of the stored pre-mixed colours which are the ready to use material.
    It has been advised many times, that mixtures will darken with storage, may thicken also with solvent loss, but will perform well when applied at correct dilutions and applications. However, the final colours will not end up exactly the same as when product was first made up.

With new experimental colours, there was an attempt to make Pink, and also a Grey coloured coting. It was posted, to show, that what the stuff looked like when mixed ready for use, did not end up where we wanted after cooking. You can see mixture in bottles, and see results of finished projectiles.

It needs to be pointed out, that with the Hi-Tek coatings we are not dealing with a house paint resin, varnishes or Lacquers or sheet metal paint resins where there is much less possibility of variations due to different systems being used.

Hope this clarified things a little.

Joe
    That lot of completely dried out coating went into to acetone today. Chunks were max 3/4" square. Some were about 3/8" thick. That's the big stuff. It ranged all the way down to dust.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	221230
    Attachment 221231
    Last edited by Avenger442; 05-28-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Also have coated, one coat, some 308s to try the coating with only one coat in my rifle.

This is the one coat after coating compared to un-coated

Name:	Single Coat At Tumble.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	221239

This is the one coat after bake compared to un-coated

Name:	One Coat After Bake.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	221240

Plan is to load to between 2600 and 2700 fps to see if same performance and no leading.

But range test will have to wait till next month.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 05-28-2018 at 06:25 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Your links didn't work for the rifle bullets

Looking forward to seeing how it goes with the dried out stuff.

The 308s, are they cast lead or copper?

Page 503 of 742 FirstFirst ... 3403453493494495496497498499500501502503504505506507508509510511512513553603 ... LastLast