RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I'll have to coat some of mine, i have flying rats that drive me crazy at home, would be handy if it made them hit the target better

Sorry, I am off subject matter,
    I have 4 very large Nashi Pear Trees, 4 Normal Pear trees, Plum Trees in a walkway from the house, and every night we get the Flying Foxes, Possums fighting screaming and squealing over the small half grown fruit. My dogs bark at them so it is a serenade of noise every night during fruiting season.
    Nearby, we have a dam, and thousands of frogs seem to form a harmony of mass croaking, and, with doors shut tight, we get this invasion of noise.
    During the day, we have Lorikeets, King parrots squawking fighting over the fruit, taking one bite, cutting them off the tree, branches and all, then, they go onto next one.
    That is what you get with nature..

Boolit Master
    It is a shame that these vermin are protected or you could hang thick fishing line with several hooks attached which I am told works wonders. I have also heard that hanging aluminium foil puts them off as well. I do remember the good old days when you could use a shotgun on them, or find their roost and put a drum of blue metal under the roost with a couple plugs of jelly in the bottom one explosion was generally enough. I still smile when I see one hanging from a power line. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    It is a shame that these vermin are protected or you could hang thick fishing line with several hooks attached which I am told works wonders. I have also heard that hanging aluminium foil puts them off as well. I do remember the good old days when you could use a shotgun on them, or find their roost and put a drum of blue metal under the roost with a couple plugs of jelly in the bottom one explosion was generally enough. I still smile when I see one hanging from a power line. Regards Stephen
    That is how my Uncle used to go fishing. Jelly and a tinny....he hates wasting time sitting around with a rod and bait.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Got the same exact issues at my parents place, you can't grow a bloody thing, the possums and wallabies eat ANYTHING green. I grew corn one year, the rats got in and ate the seeds, the time i got seeds to grow, the corn grew pretty well, then the rats came back just before harvesting time, all that was left was the core of the corn cob, no kernels at all....

When the possums find something, they just will not stop till the plant is dead.

At my house, i have a rather large mango tree, the second year i was there, the amount of fruit i got was insane, that was after the local possums and flying foxes had their meals. At least the bats will come back each night and eat the same one till it's gone, the possums don't care, they will take a chomp out of each and every one.

The flying rats drive me insane with their constant cooing, i really hate where i live, between that and neighbors that enjoy playing their doof doof music.... The joy of living in suburbia.

The only way I can get any fruit is by netting the trees! Not allowed to shoot parrots etc, but it wouldn't make any difference 'cos there are too many of them. At least I get a lot of Macadamias, they're too hard for the birds to crack!

I might have to throw a few .22 air rifle pellets in next time I'm coating, just to see how they go.

Boolit Master
    Here you can see some 18g/cm3 (that means heavy and hard alloy) tungsten shot, TMG coated and smashed.

Smashing them with a small sledgehammer makes craters on my anvil:

Tungsten can scratch barrels ,I figured Hi-tek coating can make for some extra protection for older shotguns.

That is a terrible way to treat an anvil! You should be ashamed of yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    That is a terrible way to treat an anvil! You should be ashamed of yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post

It looks to me, like the cat has TMG eyes. Have you been feeding the cat with TMG, or is it a reflection of the golden shot?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    It looks to me, like the cat has TMG eyes. Have you been feeding the cat with TMG, or is it a reflection of the golden shot?
    He is The Official TMG Cat and must be fed with TMG.

Funny that he moved in at the same time when I started coating with TMG. He just came from the woods, people had been trying to catch him for months around here. These suffer a horrible end in winter,some idiots simply leave their "summer cats" alone.

TMG cats really are something,they are worth saving. I haven't had a cat in 45 years,didn't remember how nice these are around. Even caught a mouse the other day.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Based on coating hollow point bullets I would think the opposite would be the case. I have to coat three times just to get most of the holes in the tip 90% coated. The hole is kind of like the lube groove. The coating does not want to cover in one or two coats.

Tried to shoot 50 rounds of .380 coated with orange Hi Tek last week. First time I've tried to load .380. Gun didn't function well. I think I'm going to a different powder, used Hodgdon Tight Group, and I will be adding more crimp. I was just wondering if anybody has experience with loading .380. Anybody got a suggestion on powder? Will use a loading manual for loads. Shooting it out of a semi auto with a 2.75 inch barrel.
    I never worry about the lube groove since it doesn't contact anything and it's a non issue. Haven't used any orange coating for my .380's, only black, the reds, and some greens. I use mainly 3.0-3.1 grains of HP38-W231, Titegroup, or Bullseye with either a 95 or 100 grain bullet. All mine shoot fine in my G42's, although I have some slight leading or coating issues after about 200 rounds. Nothing I have tried has eliminated it, so I have gone back to copper plated for .380. However, I have shot probably 5000 through 4 G42's the last 4 years. Never had any issues with 9mm or .45acp.
    Sorry to go off topic as I don't have any fruit trees.

Thanks for the reply, off topic, wlkir. More of a nut tree man myself.

I loaded another 50 yesterday with about .2 gr more powder and a heavier crimp. Also shortened the OAL a bit. Bullet was coming in contact with the lands.

The Orange Hi Tek comes out about the color that Mitsubishi used on the Eclipse. More of a burnt orange.

It seems from reading that your use of the H38 or W231 is probably a better powder for this load than the Titegroup. Don't have any on hand but have never passed up the chance to get another powder.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply, off topic, wlkir. More of a nut tree man myself.

I loaded another 50 yesterday with about .2 gr more powder and a heavier crimp. Also shortened the OAL a bit. Bullet was coming in contact with the lands.

The Orange Hi Tek comes out about the color that Mitsubishi used on the Eclipse. More of a burnt orange.

It seems from reading that your use of the H38 or W231 is probably a better powder for this load than the Titegroup. Don't have any on hand but have never passed up the chance to get another powder.
    What pistol you using?

Petander, beautiful looking cat, it's nice that you gave him a home (hope you treat him better than the anvil ). One of our cats is sitting on my lap as I type.

Boolit Master
    My Marlin 1894 44Mag loves cats.........just sayin......
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    My Marlin 1894 44Mag loves cats.........just sayin......

Look ma,my cat just caught another Trevor:

Boolit Master
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    What pistol you using?
    Ruger LCP. It's OK out to about 10 or 15 yards. Averages 4" groups at 10 with Hornady ammo. I've owned a couple of "pocket" handguns in .38 and .380 and can't shoot any of them well enough to do any better. But they are OK for self defense that you can drop in your pocket.

I have tried jacketed store bought ammo from several manufacturers in each. The LCP likes the Hornady. Want to see if I can load ammo that will beat the Hornady. I'm shooting an 85 grain hollow point from a modified Lee mold right now. Have the same mold without the hollow point and another mold. But I haven't shot any of those yet. They are both over 100 grain and I was trying to shoot something in the 90-95 grain.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Based on coating hollow point bullets I would think the opposite would be the case. I have to coat three times just to get most of the holes in the tip 90% coated. The hole is kind of like the lube groove. The coating does not want to cover in one or two coats.
    I did a swim-test with TMG with those slugs that I just posted. When a bottle had only 1 cm of solution left in the bottom,I added 4 cm of denatured alcohol. So that's 1/5 strength of my already diluted solution.

To cover the hollow bases (after two normal coats) I simply poured half a cup of that diluted solution in the bowl and let the slugs swim, shaking. Poured the solution back in the bottle,swirled the slugs for a while.

I got reasonably nice hollow base coverage that way,I know it's mostly cosmetic but I like it. Might work for HP:s as well - and it uses very little coating itself. I keep that diluted "swim-coat" bottle for similar use in the future.

Page 548 of 742 FirstFirst ... 48448498538539540541542543544545546547548549550551552553554555556557558598648 ... LastLast