Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks will hit him up.

Boolit Buddy
    Made an test expander plug tonight. Its only a soft grade of steel so it's easy to polish smaller if there's not enough tension. Once I know what size I need I'll make another out of tool steel The bottom one is a mr bullet feeder stock item which was no help.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190803_034308.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	246163

Boolit Master
    Gatch... In all the years I have been reloading for handguns, I have never had expander/seating issues when using the factory Dillon powder drop tubes. 9mm, 38 Super, 357Sig, 40, 44, 45........All work fine..
    What problems are you having???
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    I'm getting leading in my shadow 2 after only a few shots. I believe it's the bullets being swaged down by the brass. I think this because I've pulled a few that I've loaded and they all mic around .355 These boolits were sized at .357 The bore of the cz mic'd at .3555

I'm using an mp 145gr rnbb mold and they seat around 7mm deep in the case. The factory dillon plug only goes into the brass around 4mm. The boolits when I pull them also taper down a few thou more toward the base.

So that makes me think they're undersized as they go down the barrel. I've turned up the plug to see if that will help.

The only hitek powder I've used is the small amount of green you sent along with the lee molds. Doing 2 coats of 20g/120ml acetone, then 6ml of that for 2.3kg bullets. After seeing everyone elses cook times/temps I'm pretty sure I'm not making a mess of that part of the operation (12min@195 with pid control) though it's possible there's something I'm missing. Sizing to 357 after both coats.

I'm using all dillon dies, loading press is setup according to dillons user guide. Using only enough crimp to straighten out the case flare and drop in and out of a case gauge.

Using federal primers, mixed brass and 3.3gr of ap70.

Boolit Master
    Do me a favour and seperate your brass by headstamp.

There are a few IPSC people in Sydney running our 150gn RN in SP-01's and Shadow 2's.
    They have had similar problems when running a certain brand of brass as it is thicker than other brands down inside the case.
    I can't remember which brass was the problem.
    They like their bullets sized .357 for CZ's
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    So after a trial run with the custom plug I've learned some stuff. The diameter is spot on. The pulled boolits went in and come out at .357 so that's a win.

The less good is that I've discovered where the case wall thickens up and that you can only push the plug in so far before the case bulges too much. So no matter what, my lead boolits are going to swage down a little at the base when seated.

Will they still lead the barrel ? I'll find out next week at the range.

Gatch what Alloy mix are you running?. I incresed my alloy by about 1% antimony and they stopped leading instantly.
    I use 2-4-94 mix 2 tin 4anti and 94 COww.
    Just guessing, but it might help.

PS I am souhisde in Brizzy, you welcome to come grab a handfull of a few different profiles to use and try.
    Mike
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Do me a favour and seperate your brass by headstamp.

There are a few IPSC people in Sydney running our 150gn RN in SP-01's and Shadow 2's.
    They have had similar problems when running a certain brand of brass as it is thicker than other brands down inside the case.
    I can't remember which brass was the problem.
    They like their bullets sized .357 for CZ's
    For me, S&B and PPU cases were too thick, causing bulges with deep seated 147's. That was back when I was using commercial cast sized to .356.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Gatch what Alloy mix are you running?. I incresed my alloy by about 1% antimony and they stopped leading instantly.
    I use 2-4-94 mix 2 tin 4anti and 94 COww.
    Just guessing, but it might help.

PS I am souhisde in Brizzy, you welcome to come grab a handfull of a few different profiles to use and try.
    Mike
    I might take you up on that. All my boolits right now are coww/soww +1% tin. I had a sample checked with an xrf gun and the alloy is much the same as lots of people on here. But trying some harder lead will be worth a try.

As for the cases I only messed about with a few this morning. However I did notice the s&b case had the bigger bulge out of the 3.

Boolit Master
    I had no issues using COWW in my open .38 super running rather hot loads, i'd like to think it's something easy/silly causing your issues. With the swaging you noticed on your previous loads, i never thought it would lead up as fast as you said it did.

The recycled head i'm using coated in htek is about wheel weight hardness, i have others using it in open guns without leading issues.

Hopefully the new plug has fixed your issues, good excuse to get out to the range this week for some pew pews.

Boolit Master
    Hey what's the Hi Tek Facebook addy again?

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.facebook.com/JM-Speciali...8002006203240/

I cast and coated some 40s today.

Boolit Master
    I went through the same mess as Gatch with a SA 1911 9mm. I did a pound cast on the neck/throat/lead area. Found the throat was .3582 and the grove was .3555-6. Pulled bullets were .3575 with a custom expander from Lathesmith for my Dillon. As you can see the numbers don't work. Any larger on bullet diameter and the rounds won't chamber. I used the barrel for my case gage. I segregated cases by headstamp and the internal case dimensions were all over the place.

My solution was to send that gun down the road. Too big a throat is a bad thing. Gas cutting doesn't care if it's coated or not. Maybe you can find a barrel better suited to cast/HT coating. I traded for a Sig P226 that also had some barrel problems but I lapped it into shape and my HT nightmare is just a memory.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Hey what's the Hi Tek Facebook addy again?

Thanks.
    this is direct contact on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/JM-Speciali...dmin_todo_tour

Quote Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
    I might take you up on that. All my boolits right now are coww/soww +1% tin. I had a sample checked with an xrf gun and the alloy is much the same as lots of people on here. But trying some harder lead will be worth a try.

As for the cases I only messed about with a few this morning. However I did notice the s&b case had the bigger bulge out of the 3.
    Will also give you a copy of an Excel program.. allows you to plot your own casting alloy, its on this site "somewhere" but I tweaked mine a little.
    SOWW +1 tin is gonna be soft as hell, or I found it to be.
    Also, this is my own optinion, retire the case gauge and use your barrel. You are loading for you barrel, not loading for the go/no go gauge.
    Life would be nice if all 9mm were 355.000000 but trust me, they aint!.
    Companies charge a whole heap for a barrel that is 355 to 355.5 and crow and strut its a "Match" barrel.
    That only holds true if you use factory ammo.
    If you cast and size for the barrel size you have, every barrel is a "match" barrel IMHO. You will hear the saying "Fit is King" and it is.
    Phone number here is 0433-409-335 ifn you need it.
    Mike.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Banned
    so true. I have 4 9MM's that range from .3555 to .3556 and 2 that are over .358 (European Llama and Walther P-38)

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    OK since I have taken us this far off subject I'll ask another question.
    Avenger442, I sent you a PM about rifles and Hi-Tec and just wondered if you received it.

Quote Originally Posted by glaciers View Post
    Avenger442, I sent you a PM about rifles and Hi-Tec and just wondered if you received it.
    See PM to you. Will give you what info I have. Rifles with Hi Tec were my first love in this coating.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    See PM to you. Will give you what info I have. Rifles with Hi Tec were my first love in this coating.
    I think my biggest "kick" is a Marlin SBL 45-70. I shoot it every week, RCBS 325 plain base @ 1900 has become my plinker load / moving moose target load. But it's only two cavity mold,I have a four cav 400 MP NLG mold coming in a group buy.

I still laugh aloud when I observe the barrel after 100-200 rounds. Not much of anything in there except some carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I think my biggest "kick" is a Marlin SBL 45-70. I shoot it every week, RCBS 325 plain base @ 1900 has become my plinker load / moving moose target load. But it's only two cavity mold,I have a four cav 400 MP NLG mold coming in a group buy.

I still laugh aloud when I observe the barrel after 100-200 rounds. Not much of anything in there except some carbon.
    What is the Brindle Hardness of the 325's in for your 45-70, and do you Hi-Tec only, or do you add additional lubes?
    Thanks,
    John

Page 606 of 742 FirstFirst ... 106506556596597598599600601602603604605606607608609610611612613614615616656706 ... LastLast