RotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters Supply
Graf & SonsInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading

Page 490 of 492 FirstFirst ... 390440480481482483484485486487488489490491492 LastLast
Results 9,781 to 9,800 of 9837

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Just came here to look at oven specs.

Is a gas oven any good or does it need to be an electric one?

I'm tired of cooking 2kgs of bullets at a time. My wife nags me too much when Im in the shed all day.

How many kg's can you get in a full size kitchen oven?

Boolit Master
    Mate, that is the job of a wife You can always invite her into the shop to help you out and make the job go faster, mine runs in the other direction when i offer this......

When i cook mine, i can do a good 15+kg per batch, i have multiple trays to use though. There is a fair bit of space in an old 600mm wide kitchen oven. I got mine from the in-laws when the replaced their free standing one as the hot plates were toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Mate, that is the job of a wife You can always invite her into the shop to help you out and make the job go faster, mine runs in the other direction when i offer this...... You are lucky she does not return with a baseball bat lol lol

When I cook mine, I can do a good 15+kg per batch, I have multiple trays to use though. There is a fair bit of space in an old 600mm wide kitchen oven. I got mine from the in-laws when the replaced their free standing one as the hot plates were toast.
    Most household ovens free standing or wall types are OK, and are freely available from retailers who sell new ones and take away old ones. Also, on Council clean up, you can find them on side of the road, free to take away. If they have blown elements, these are cheap to replace from Electrical wholesalers or Stove repairers. Easy way to get a reasonable sized oven very cheap.

Boolit Master
    I second that, over here we have gumtree, the American version of Craig's List. People just want them gone, so you can get lucky and get a freebee.

Some places that sell appliances take old ones back as a service, you can possibly pick one up here for free or very cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, it's gas ok if it's got a fan?

Im in Melbourne. Gumtree is good sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post

I suppose Gas fired ovens should work. However, I would only put in a load after oven is first at correct bake temperature. That way, any moisture formed with warming oven is at same temperature as oven heated air.
    Gas Fired ovens also have a chimney exhaust which would help with ducting oven fumes outside. Do not use this sort of oven in enclosed areas. Exhaust all gaseous emissions to outside work area. Burning gas uses up Oxygen and produces CO2 and CO, and is not good being confined in a closed work area, and gasses cannot be detected.

Boolit Master

Dan. I'll swap you an oven that will do 8kg in 8 minutes for your STI prize...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    Yep in my case gas is only for testing the coating process in an emergency... I just happen to have an old spare gas oven / stove which I used for outside heat treat testing some 15 years ago. I do use gas for normal cooking,too.

Sometimes it surprises me that people used 25 years to refine this excellent product better and better, then we go buy Eight Dollar Ovens and whine about bad coating.

I'm ready for the package to arrive. Got fresh,clean 9mm test batches in approx 8,13 and 18 BHN using two boolits for subsonic loads. Sizers 356-358 on hand.

The Sun has come,it is spring!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180416_181000_153.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	218539
    Last edited by Petander; 04-16-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Pic add.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Dan. I'll swap you an oven that will do 8kg in 8 minutes for your STI prize...
    lol. Sounds like a good deal but I'll have to pass. :P

Funny enough I tried to get them to swap it for a STI tactical with me paying the difference but they wouldn't do it. I won't dare complain though.

Thanks for the tips on the Ovens. Sounds like electric might be easier to deal with.

Boolit Master
    lol. Sounds like a good deal but I'll have to pass. :P

Funny enough I tried to get them to swap it for a STI tactical with me paying the difference but they wouldn't do it. I won't dare complain though.

Thanks for the tips on the Ovens. Sounds like electric might be easier to deal with.
    Fair enough. I just picked up an STI Tactical 5.0 9mm second hand, sweet shooter. The full length dust cover adds weight to the front perfectly for sight recovery.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I have my custom 2011 race gun gathering dust in my safe for the last 2 years, been trying to get hold of a replacement barrel for it. Good note, try not to push two projectiles down the barrel at once *sigh*

I do love the STI range, I got my hands on a used 2011 executive in .38 super, it shoots great.

Do you know where to get hold of a schuemann hybricomp barrel from Trevor? Easily bought in America, here... not so much.

Boolit Master
    Tazza.
    Mate give Victor a call at Victor Precision in Capalaba.
    He has Pulver, KKM, STI barrels. His comp designs are the best there are.
    I'm getting a KKM with a VP comp for the STI Tac 5 for shooting Steel Challenge with a C-more RTS2.
    Victor rebuilt my TruBor and it is a sweet shooter.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Victor is the one that built it for me in the first place it shot awesome up to the point i killed it. He can't get his paws on Schuemann barrels anymore, they can't export and the guy he used to get them off doesn't do 'em anymore either.

Good to hear he is making comps too, mine was an off the shelf titanium one, he was talking about making them as they were hard to get.

His shop is walking distance from my house actually, very handy.

Boolit Man
    I'm working on the expander... heavy .358 cast boolit & 9mm is interesting.

I'm still getting swaged a little deep down there in the case when seating the 166 grainer.

Name:	IMG_20180417_233318_133.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	218614

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I'm working on the expander... heavy .358 cast boolit & 9mm is interesting.

I'm still getting swaged a little deep down there in the case when seating the 166 grainer.

Name:	IMG_20180417_233318_133.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	218614
    I like the Hi-Tek design, how did you do it?

Commercial product in Italy. They use the Black K-15 and also Kryptonite Green.

Name:	Italian Manufacturer using K-15.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	218650

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    I like the Hi-Tek design, how did you do it?
    Those are linotype letters from my bucket, on top of a pistol case. I used an extra flashlight for the shadow.

There must be a nail or something else iron material in the bucket because there is some rust all over the letters.

Those are linotype letters from my bucket, on top of a pistol case. I used an extra flashlight for the shadow.

There must be a nail or something else iron material in the bucket because there is some rust all over the letters.

Very clever

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Very clever

Thanks- the rust got my attention and gave me the idea. I can mail you a better resolution image in case you like to use it.

Thanks- the rust got my attention and gave me the idea. I can mail you a better resolution image in case you like to use it.
    I like it a lot. Very modern style. I don't know where or how I could use it and thank you for the offer. If you post me a photo it will be cherished.

Just a thought, have you received your coatings? You posted that you were expecting arrival.

Page 490 of 492 FirstFirst ... 390440480481482483484485486487488489490491492 LastLast