RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Tazza... Were you up at T/ville for the ICORE??
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Sadly no, there was no shooting on that trip, was just a weeks holiday with the wifie.

We had plans of going down south, but as soon as she saw that the weather was below zero, she said nope, head north! So we went to her friends place in Mackay for a visit, home via Rocky and bundaberg.

I should get a revolver and into Icore, but i love stiring up mad mates that shoot revolvers, if i was to get one, i'd never hear the end of it

Boolit Master
    Ha... same here, Had a 686 for like 4 weeks. hated the thing. sold it and bought a Springfield 1911 9mm.
    Sold the springer and bought the STI Tac 5.
    Love putting poo on the wheelgunners..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    A mate got a cheap 686 in stainless years ago, it's good for a play with beefy loads, but vs a semi, there is no comparison. It's just there for practice and fun.

I love doing my RO duties for steel and do the whole show clear, slide down, hammer down and holster to them the look of W.T.F is priceless. But they do have a laugh as they know i'm not serious.

Some people are awesome with their tricked up revolvers, but i still like my 2011 sti guns more.

I started with a connors 1911 open gun, that broke.... Then i got Victor to make a 2011 open one for me that I broke (still waiting on a pesky barrel).... Then got a standard 2011 STI in .38 super so i could still shoot.

I want a 9mm so i don't send a fortune on brass, every trip to the range i walk away with 9mm cases that were left on the ground. Mates keep saying get a glock, i just can't do it, i really don't like the grip angle.
    Last edited by Tazza; 07-30-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Wheel guns slow? Oh I don't know about that... Here's an eight shot S&W, pretty quick. Then dumping six, reload and dump six more, and on target.

Be careful what you wish for!

Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master
    My Victor tuned TruBor is running sweet.
    Going to get him to hardchrome the Tac 5 and carbo the grip and undercut the trigger guard etc etc.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Mine was running awesome, till someone (I) messed up a load and appears to have tried to push two 125s down the barrel at once *sad face* Bulged, but did not burst thankfully.

Hard chrome finish looks sweet and i was under the impression it will make it last longer as it's harder wearing, it will also take up any slack you have in the slide/frame to make it like new again.

I liked the look of the under cut trigger guard, and the carbo grip works well. Some hate it being so rough, but it doesn't slip around in your hands with it, even with oily hands. When i got mine done, he had some fancy springs and trigger bits to give a great trigger feel.

Boolit Buddy
    Do the carbo job yourself. I did mine a few weeks ago. It was quite easy. I bought a 10kg tub of silicon carbide from Supercheap and used JB weld. Got 9.95kgs of carbide left.

Agree about revolvers. I had an 8 shot 627 in 38 super for a few months.Very accurate but awful to shoot, even after a good trigger job. No wonder Icore only gets 50 people to a nationals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grips.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	224736

Boolit Master
    Nice job, they look great. The only difference with mine is the fact he left the STI logos uncovered.

Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    Wheel guns slow? Oh I don't know about that... Here's an eight shot S&W, pretty quick. Then dumping six, reload and dump six more, and on target.

you can't really put miculeck fairly in the equation.old dude has gorilla's forearms lol. he clamp the gun with one hand with as much pressure as most of us can with 2 lol...

Quote Originally Posted by CamoWhamo View Post
    I'm surprised Australia post managed to deliver it with the address label blanked out like that

Must be why my order hasn't shown up yet. 4 weeks and counting
    NZ post must be slower. 5 weeks and counting!
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlockrecord View Post
    NZ post must be slower. 5 weeks and counting!

Sen ta PM

What Hi Tek color gives the best result and coverage for a beginner

Boolit Master
    From reading this thread, I'd gotten the impression that the metallic versions are just a bit trickier to manage because of the quick settling of the flakes after shaking. So I started with the nonmetallic black cherry, which never failed in the gun from day one (though I did have slight wipe off starting out, and had one batch where a few bullets stuck together in the bake, both do to mixing errors on my part, but again those same bullets shot just fine).

ETA: and I still use that color, not seeing any reason to change (I shoot almost exclusively pistol calibers at mild velocities - I might consider a metallic if I decide to cast for my .44 Magnum).

Boolit Master
    Gold 1035 is good to start with, Red copper, Texas Tea, are also good. The Black is good. If you over bake, it doesn't matter as it is already black...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Texa tea- worked perfect from first batch, and the shimmery flakes looks good
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    What size are you using for your SBL?
    Sorry, I don't get on this board as much as I used to. If you are asking about what I size the bullet at I use a NOE push through sizer with the .459" insert in it.

Neal in AZ

Boolit Master
    Which colors are metallic and which aren’t? The website doesn’t specify, at least for the powder.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    Sorry, I don't get on this board as much as I used to. If you are asking about what I size the bullet at I use a NOE push through sizer with the .459" insert in it.

Neal in AZ
    Thanks. I am surprised how easy ir was to get everything fine for the SBL, I use 4595 ,still not slugged the barrel.

Here is my old Marlin, I fired about 15k cast bullets with it.

Attachment 224870

Page 518 of 742 FirstFirst ... 18418468508509510511512513514515516517518519520521522523524525526527528568618 ... LastLast